Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: homemade extractor  (Read 12828 times)

Offline jimmy

• House Bee
homemade extractor
« on: May 14, 2008, 11:34:35 pm »
I found these plans for a homemade ingenious idea on the net.

Any thoughts?

http://www.honeymoonapiaries.com/homemadeextractor/homemadeextractor1.htm
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 06:32:12 am by eivindm »

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
Re: homemade extractor
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 08:06:38 am »
Not that I'm an expert at all but it looks rather difficult to me. I would rather kick the 100.00 bucks or so for a premade, that is if my bees ever make enough honey that i would need one.
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline jimmyo

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 08:38:41 am »
A friend just sent me this one http://www.voiceofthehive.com/VotH/15_1_Voice_of_the_Hive-Roll_Your_own_Extractor.htm 
 Let us know how this works for you.
Jim 

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 12:12:54 pm »
Not that I'm an expert at all but it looks rather difficult to me. I would rather kick the 100.00 bucks or so for a premade, that is if my bees ever make enough honey that i would need one.

I'm with you although they are a heck of a lot more than 100 bucks.  That two frame plastic job, from what I have heard, is a piece of junk.  You may get lucky and find a used stainless steel extractor for $100 but I wouldn't hold my breath.  I have a 3 frame, which is great for a beek with a few hives.  I'll probably be selling mine in the next year or two.  I am quickly outgrowing it.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Drone

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 12:47:12 pm »
The first design looked like a Rube Goldberg special. Waaaaay too much trouble and mess compared to crush and strain if you only have a hive or two.

A radial makes more sense if you have a lot of supers to extract, homemade or not.

-John

Offline jimmy

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 02:51:12 pm »
jimmyo : I saw that one on the net last night also.It was under African Bee extractor and and  somewhere in Africa. Too complicated for a redneck like me!!!

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 03:48:47 pm »
I've got a 15 year old hand cranked four frame unit with a plastic barrel like honey extractor.  Was used regularly prior to my receiving it as a gift when the former owner passed away.  His daughter stated she watched him use it several times and that he enjoyed using it. But have yet to use it myself.  Have no way of knowing who made it, but it appears to be well worth the price (gift for picking up it and a pickup full of hives and frames) I paid. 8-)

Offline debay

• New Bee
    • JUST MY BLOGS AND SOME PICS
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 05:05:45 pm »
the bike wheel is similar to what I had in mind. I have the blue drum, a drill, and will soon have some wood and hardware cloth. I plan on making a two frame extractor that can do deeps or shallows. I hope. I havent looked at the overall dimensions of the barrel yet. My plan is to make a large rectangular frame that will hang centered on a shaft. the sides of this rectangle will be covered in the hardware cloth.  Ideally the frames will slide in with top bars facing the walls of the barrel. Looking at the measurements from the bike wheel extractor I will have to make an offset set of rectangles to allow for the depth of the deep frames. Then again, I dont use deep frames for honey so I may just stick with the rectangle. And just a comment about using a ball valve for the honey gate. I dont recommend it. It might work good once or twice, but I think that once honey gets up in the area behind the ball that it will eventually freeze up.

Offline xC0000005

• New Bee
    • Voice of the Hive - Beekeeping and Honeybees
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 01:24:26 pm »
I doubt the honey would freeze up behind the ball valve but I worry about cleaning it.  You can build a variety of baskets to spin different comb.  I have a tangental for deeps and an odd mesh basket that holds 38lbs of cappings, all of which fit in the same drum.  Time is a currency.  Spend wisely.
"Tell me again why you want to put a box with thousands of angry, stinging insects in our backyard?" - my wife.

http://www.voiceofthehive.com