Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: after the bee tree falls.  (Read 1849 times)

Offline splitrock

• House Bee
after the bee tree falls.
« on: September 03, 2012, 06:06:58 pm »
How long does it take the bees to right their comb? Seems they would need to have it at the correct upward angle.

I just picked up an 11 foot maple tree trunk section with bees. The tree had to come down, and the owner couldn't stand to see the bees killed. So now, 6 weeks later they call to have the thing hauled away. I wish they would have called me right away, I would have taken it, and set it upright, the way it was.

Now the whole thing has me pondering just how much work it must have been and wondering how long it would take to the bees get everything right when a tree, housing bees, fell in the wild? Anyone have any experience, or thoughts. I am just hoping they make it where I have located them now, and that I may be able to harvest a few swarms in the future. The previous owner said "the bees had been there forever", and she looked to be pushing 80.

Joel

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: after the bee tree falls.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 06:29:41 pm »
I'd be surprised if at some point they don't abscond from the tree. Do you have shbs where you live? BTW, the bees will not right the combs that have fallen but may be able to use some of it, if it is in fact deemed usable by them.

I would suggest doing a cut out or trap out come spring.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 08:05:43 pm »
Ditto the cut out, the comb is probably a mess in there.

You say it fell in the forest? Funny...I didn't hear it!  :-D

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline MTWIBadger

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 02:19:07 am »
Joel
I did a cutout this spring from a Ponderosa log that had been cut down 4-6 months earlier.  The comb was not a mess when we unroofed it.  The log was 4-5 feet in diameter so the only choice was to do a cutout.
The honey comb got covered in sawdust so I fed it back to the bees. I got 4-5 frames of brood and about 4 pounds of bees. It is in a 2 deep hive now and heavy enough for winter.

Offline splitrock

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 06:44:15 am »
Hmmm, Thanks for the advice guys.

JP, we have the shb's up here, but they are not a problem, at least in my hives. I wonder if they can make it through the winter if they can't utilize all their comb.

Hardwood, whats up with your hearing, it made all kinds of noise when it came down.You must have been in the wrong forest.

MTWI. Sounds like a late cut out may be in order here too. I will likely have to combine them with another hive though, it's getting pretty late up here now.

Joel

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 11:39:52 am »
Split, my sister is on a vacation traveling around and sent me a text that said she saw a bunch of beehives in the grassland of S. D. and wondered what they could make honey out of in the grass area.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 11:41:55 am »
Clover!!!!
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

anything