Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Potentially Huge Problem  (Read 2671 times)

Offline ZuniBee

• House Bee
    • ZuniBeeFarms.com
Potentially Huge Problem
« on: April 03, 2007, 05:31:10 pm »
I have been waiting since last September to get my bees. I have been ordering equipment and am ready to receive my 4 packages on Monday. Today I find out that I might be transferred from Virginia to Sacramento CA in May or June. Talk about being crushed! The job is great but the timing is really bad. Kind of feels like being hit in the stomach.

So, my question for all experienced beeks is....can bees be moved successfully across country? Would it be worth it? I am going to get the bees and get them started but need to be thinking about what I will do if I have to move..... I have four complete hives and two nucs. I think I am going to start two packages in Nucs in case I have to sell them. Maybe I should combine two packages in one hive and keep three clean for the move if it happens.....

I welcome any and all advice..

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: Potentially Huge Problem
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 06:15:15 pm »
Can the bees be moved? Yes.
Migratory beekeepers do it all the time.
Here is what you need to do get them inspected before you move and get them inspected right after you move. Let the inspector know you are moving. he will want to know where the bees came from and lots of good stuff like that.

Is it worth it? Yes/No
Is it cheap? No.
Your best bet is to put the bees in a shipping container and the queen with some workers in a queen cage. Ship it like two day to the destination. you will require certification to do this through the mail. That is why you need the inspections. Have your hives shipped seperately and broken down if possible.
Be there when the bees and the equipment arrive. Reassemble the bodies. Insert the frames and sugar spray the bees and put them back in hives.

This is one idea. I hope others will share some.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline LET-CA

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 06:22:39 pm »
You may wish to see if your employer will replace the cost of the bees.  Move the hives empty with your household goods and buy bees in Sacramento when you arrive.  The good news is that we have a good beekeeping store right in town, and Mann Lake has a warehouse outlet 20 minutes away in Woodland.  Dadant is 100 miles north in Chico, too far for a quick trip but I have co-workers who pick stuff up for me when they visit their parents.  Sacramento is a good place for bees (and people).  I think you'll like it here.  I've got a daughter in Vienna, VA. . . want to trade jobs?

Offline ZuniBee

• House Bee
    • ZuniBeeFarms.com
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 06:46:06 pm »
Posted by: Understudy

Your best bet is to put the bees in a shipping container and the queen with some workers in a queen cage. Ship it like two day to the destination.

I never would have thought about shipping. What a great idea. Maybe I could ship some to my brother in CA and get them there.

Posted by: LET-CA

The good news is that we have a good beekeeping store right in town, and Mann Lake has a warehouse outlet 20 minutes away in Woodland.  Dadant is 100 miles north in Chico, too far for a quick trip but I have co-workers who pick stuff up for me when they visit their parents.  Sacramento is a good place for bees (and people).  I think you'll like it here.

You don't know how relieved that makes me feel. Sacramento does sound like a great place to live and wow, what great access to supplies! Since I am not sure about the move and probably won't find out until a couple weeks after I get the bees, I think I am going to start the hives, two in nucs and two in 10 frame. If I end up moving I can sell them and take all the woodenware with me. Maybe I can take drawn comb by then....

So, another question. When would the latest month be that I could purchase a nuc in CA and have them build up enough to make it over the winter?

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 12:10:12 am »
Dear Let-Ca,

I live 40 minutes away from the greatest beekeeping store ever in Sacramento Ca, called Sacramento Beekeeping Store. You can get anything you need from this store, and great advice. I would call them ahead to reserve your bees for you, as they are taking orders now.1-916-451-2337. I believe you can get nucs way into the summer from them. call them and they will help you. Welcome to sunny California. Great place to have bees. Good Luck

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 12:11:50 am »
Oops!! Sorry, the message above was for zunibee.