Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What can I plant to attract bees?  (Read 6240 times)

Offline crane

• New Bee
What can I plant to attract bees?
« on: January 26, 2013, 11:03:07 pm »
Here we are in January and I would like to plant some plants the bees will be attracted to for this spring.

We are in central Texas east of San Antonio. So far this year it is still extremely dry and It's always a crapshoot here about how much rain we will get this spring and summer.
I know that I don't have to plant flowers for the bees and they will find their own  sources. I really just like to watch them as they gather pollen and nectar.

Any Ideas?

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
Re: What can I plant to attract bees?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 11:35:04 pm »
the only place in texas i've spent any amount of time is del rio and i couldn't begin to guess how to answer your question.  the only things that do well here that i would guess might make it out there would be privet and holly but it may be too harsh for them out your way.

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 10:08:58 am »
Watch the blue bonnet and Indian paint brush plants.  Bees have a ball with those. 
Bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 01:57:22 pm »
I have had Salvia microphylla. It is from Texas. It has long blooming period.

Flower has long tube but when flowers fal down, bees gan forage nectar away.

Language barrier NOT included

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 02:16:23 pm »
Take stock of what plants you have in your environment and plant flowers that bloom when you have a gap in nectar pollen flow in your area. No point in planting more of what you all ready have in abundance.

mvh edward  :-P

Offline Nature Coast Beek

• House Bee
  • Suck it up, buttercup!
    • Both Feet In
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 06:49:57 pm »
From all that I've heard bees love BORAGE. I'm about to sow a bunch of it in two weeks.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 09:05:49 pm »
if you have a nice size plot to plant something, nice hardy plant the they will work and make some honey is Buckwheat, small plant with white flowers. just a idea, I planted it before a few years.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Maryland Beekeeper

• House Bee
  • Nature does nothing uselessly. Aristotle
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 01:35:55 am »

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 02:35:18 am »
from my bookmarks:

http://themelissagarden.com/TMG_Vetaley031608.htm

Cheers,
Drew

That list is full of mistakes. Many of those plants do not make nectar at all.

Language barrier NOT included

Offline Bees In Miami

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 03:43:01 am »
This may sound stupid, and it is not a plant for bee foraging, but if you want to attract/draw bees, how about planting some lemongrass?  I grows to about 8' tall down here, and is extremely drought tolerant.  It's what they use for swarm lures, after all!  I certainly can't say it was my lemongrass plants, but I did catch 3 swarms in my own yard last swarm season.  Just a thought!  (If you can't find it, and need some seeds, send me a PM and I will send you some seeds if you are interested!)  My bees are also in LOVE with Basil!  Again, a plant tolerant to both wet and drought.  Just my inexperienced .02!! 

Offline bryani289swmi

• Brood
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 09:17:46 am »
I would second about giving borage a try.  It is an annual herb and the bees seem to work it well.

Bryan

Offline Nature Coast Beek

• House Bee
  • Suck it up, buttercup!
    • Both Feet In
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2013, 09:57:36 pm »
Along the whole lemon, lemongrass theme you can try lemon balm. I planted it last year and it did well but didn't bloom for me. I started some more from seed (very easy) and will see how it goes.

Offline Bees In Miami

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 10:18:03 pm »
@ Nature Coast...We lived in St Pete for some time.  Lemon balm never did a dang thing, but our lemongrass there, I started from a container about 4" high, and it was a mass about 3 feet across within two years.  As extended previously, I'd be happy to send you some seeds if you would like to try to grow it.   It is truly virtually maintenance and pest free.  (Matter of fact, the plant I have growing here originated from my first plant in St Pete!!  Took a split off that plant, and every time we have moved since!  That was 10 years ago!  Fun memories!    :-D)    I am also a big Thai food fan, so having it in the yard for culinary purposes is a win, win!  Let me know. 

Offline tryintolearn

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2013, 11:39:48 am »
if you have a nice size plot to plant something, nice hardy plant the they will work and make some honey is Buckwheat, small plant with white flowers. just a idea, I planted it before a few years.

when can u plant buckwheat in south caroilina?  camillias in bloom here and they are runnin like mad here...i have a bout an acre sowed with winter rye...can plant bw there...any ideas?

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2013, 12:13:02 pm »
You might check for wildflower seeds that attract bees and will grow
 in your area.  -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2013, 10:41:34 pm »
Morning star.  I see the internet calls it Turnera.  I grow them to feed the bees I have, but they are also one of the plants biosecurity says will attract the asian bee when it arrives in the area. (It is not far north of here now).  European and native bees are all over it every morning when the flowers are out for a few hours.  It grows all right in pots, but becomes a decent little bush when planted straight in the ground, and gets covered in flowers.  The cream coloured flower seems to be better.  I hardly see bees in the yellow flowered plant, and it grows more straggly.

http://toptropicals.com/cgi-bin/garden_catalog/cat.cgi?uid=turnera_subulata

This is something like the plant I mean, except ours only opens in the morning.  It might be a different variety, but it looks the same.

Lone

Offline duck

• House Bee
    • Big Thicket Bees
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2013, 10:57:05 pm »
have a place west of san antonio 2 hours.  Alot higher elevation, we target mesquite, huisache, cats claw, huajillo, and the cone flowers.  If you can find them the soapberry trees are real good.  Look for an established stand.  The indian blankets grow real good there if you get them started, I pull the seeds off and put em in a bucket to spread them later.  This is what I would try to plant.  If you can find the huajillo, it will hit strong in march-april.  I got a new yard this year south of Uvalde in the brush country, should make some good stuff.  Where are you at? Cuero?  Oh and the most important thing if you want to get wildflowers to grow is DO NOT MOW.

Offline jpmeir

• New Bee
  • Yesterday was the only easy day
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2013, 08:37:25 pm »
Winter Honey Suckel is a favorate in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.