Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Future Hive Inspection Thoughts  (Read 1314 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Future Hive Inspection Thoughts
« on: August 01, 2013, 07:39:48 pm »
Here's what I'm wondering. I plan to inspect my hive this Saturday. It is a 3 pound package that I received June 7. This Saturday will be 8 weeks since I had it.

I have a SBB and one of the things I like about it is being able to peek up into the hive. I have two 8 frame deeps I plan to use for brood they are both in place. My peek - which isn't a good picture, suggests that they aren't doing much (if anything) in the second deep. The frames have plastic foundations with beeswax on them.

My question is this: Can I help them to move into it if I swap a couple of frames from the top to the empty on the bottom?

Or should I just leave well enough alone? (I figure this is the right answer - just wanted to hear some experience talk)
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline millipede

• House Bee
    • Bayou Bees
Re: Future Hive Inspection Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 10:01:24 pm »
I try not to mess with the brood order unless I have to.

Offline dfizer

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 10:04:57 pm »
I find that moving a frame or two helps the bees get used to the new box.  I do this with supers as well as deeps when being put on for the first time.  I have found that often the bees wont begin to work the bare frames and putting a few up in the new/top box helps get them moving that direction.

Just how I do it - not saying its right but it works for me.

David

Offline Wolfer

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 11:02:51 pm »
Yes, I always move a couple frames up. I personally take two frames leaving a drawn frame between them and place them together in the top box.

Frames dropped one at a time into the broodnest usually get built pretty fast. Then they can be moved up and another dropped in its place if so needed.

Just how I do it.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 09:44:57 am »
I probably should have mentioned that the empty box is on the bottom. It's been there about 3 or 4 weeks. I have Minnesota Hygenic Italian bees.

Another thought, if they have started drawing out in the empty brood box wouldn't it be better to just leave it alone or maybe still swap a frame or two?

thanks
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 11:06:39 pm »
As for your first question, it all depends on what is going on in the first deep. Is it full or at least 8 frames full? Then yes by all means I would bring up a frame or 2. If you have it, replace them with drawn comb, the q will probably fill it with eggs if there are enough bees to cover it. If you do not have drawn foundation, just add foundation.
I would put the empty box on top.
If they started drawing foundation in the empty box, if you do not have drawn foundation, swap those frames into the full box.
I just added 2 drawn frames into a new hive that had five full frames. It looks like it is doing real well.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin