Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: #8 hardware cloth or regular, ol' screen?  (Read 2814 times)

Offline TwoHoneys

• House Bee
    • TwoHoneys
#8 hardware cloth or regular, ol' screen?
« on: August 09, 2011, 07:47:16 am »
I have an opportunity to do a trap out from a tree, but I have a few questions about material:

On this forum, most folks use #8 hardware cloth to fashion the cone. But I've seen other people use simple door screen, which seems much more malleable. I have both on hand, but I have to say that I lean toward the screen when it comes to shaping it to fit a tree. Is there some reason I should choose the #8 cloth instead?

To get a good seal between the tree and the screen, I envision using a lot of those big garden staples and big globs of silicone. Yes?

I haven't seen the tree in person yet, but what if I discover more than one entrance to the hive? How should I block off the entrances I don't outfit with the cone? Screen?

I have to say, I'm not very excited by the prospect of doing a trap out...not sure why. Perhaps because it involves so many visits to the site and because it's such a slow process. But I think I should give it a try.

-Liz
"In a dream I returned to the river of bees" W.S. Merwin

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: #8 hardware cloth or regular, ol' screen?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 11:05:43 am »
Screen isn't as rigid but easier to use and much cheaper. If you can get it to hold its form than by all means use the screen. Use pieces of old rags, clothing etc... to fill any holes. If the tree has a ton of holes it could be tough sealing them all. Look it over real good. Silicone should work fine to help secure the cone and staples.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 05:15:45 pm »
Back in the day, I could not find #8 anywhere.   But I did find window screen that works good.  It is the old stiff all metal kind.   Don't try the nylon or plastic stuff.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 06:21:12 pm »
I have seen screen collapse and the bees packed it and died. I have not seen 1/8 hardware collapse. The hardware cloth just eliminates one more possible failure.

I have used towels, steel wool, and other materials to stop holes, even cement. I always use silicone for the seal. NOT caulk or foam. They will remove it.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 09:10:47 pm »
i use window screen all the time and it works fine
to bee or not to bee

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 12:19:57 am »
I have done both with good success.  There are, however, different kinds of window screen.  Some of the new stuff is nylon/fiberglass and it is the kind that is most likely to collapse.  I have not used it.  I have used the galvanized window screen, the black painted kind, and the #8 hardware cloth with good success.  Particularly if you fray the end of the window screen a bit to make a sort of "bee escape" where they can push their way out but the wires get in the way getting in...

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin