Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Help please  (Read 10570 times)

Offline Janemma

• House Bee
Help please
« on: May 25, 2008, 08:48:06 pm »
Could someone please just pop along to my blog at the link in my signature below and have a look at the picture of the frame.  THis is from hive number two.  I did my second inspection yesterday and we still couldn't see a Queen and couldn't see any eggs - although to be honest the veil makes it hard - I don't think I will bother in future with the veil as you can't see well with it on can you? 

Anyway, can anyone interpret for me what they see on the frame....what the capped cells are etc etc...this isn't the central frame - this is one of the outer frames - maybe third from the centre.  The hive is now two weeks old.  Still about 6 frames full and the bees seem to be focusing on bringing pollen and nectar in as we finally have some in the area at last - rather than building come on the outer frames but they are busy and foraging well anyway.  I photographed this frame because there are so few bees on it - so easier to see.

Thank you!  Would be good to know what we are seeing!

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
Re: Help please
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 09:14:41 pm »
Hi Jane!
 The bees look fine to me. When I got my first 2 packages I lost a queen, but I doubt you did....Maybe you should look at the frame with the most bees on it. Thats what I did/do. Also, I have only seen a queen one time in all 5 of my hives since I started bees!
 Once you see eggs and larva you'll find that it gets really easy to see them later. Even with a veil! The first time I saw them I was looking, and looking.....saw nothing...then, POW!!...There they all were! Right where I had been looking!
 I use plastic foundation, just like you.Well, this year I got a bunch of black foundation as I wanted to build by own frames. Building frames, I thought, was intimidating when I started bees. Its a lot cheaper building frames AND VERY EASY! Just stick one together with glue and a few nails and just pop in the foundation.Once you've built one, you're an expert!
Oh,...I got black because its supposed to be easier to see the eggs and larva. I think that if you let the light get on the foundation just right you'll be able to see stuff better :)
 Ok,....I gotta look at your blog some more..It sure is nice!
your friend,
john

Offline Janemma

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 09:35:16 pm »
Hi Jane!
 Ok,....I gotta look at your blog some more..It sure is nice!
your friend,
john

John you should email me via my profile and I'll send you an invite to my real blog!  As you learned lol I'm a little blog obsessed hahahaha! 

Offline Janemma

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 09:38:42 pm »
Do you think from looking at that frame that I have a Queen - would you say they are acting as if they have a Queen?  The capping of whatever etc etc?  You don't think it looks like they are Queenless?  Its been two weeks and they don't act Queenless - ie they aren't agitated or aggressive or anything - they aren't melancholic or anything - they seem to be doing what they should be doing - we just haven't seen the eggs or Queen or larvae yet.  But I know that could be because we are such beginners......

I know we need to give them time.....I just don't want to do the wrong thing.....

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 09:58:35 pm »
Look at another frame. I mean, I dont see any eggs or larva on this frame in the picture. Sorry, i tend to drift off the subjects sometimes.
your friend,
john

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2008, 11:06:42 pm »
The top one is a picture of a frame of honey with a few cells of pollen.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Janemma

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 11:27:44 pm »
The top one is a picture of a frame of honey with a few cells of pollen.

Ok thank you!  It's good to know what I'm looking at! 

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 12:35:42 am »
Janemma, just a word of caution, if you don't mind me saying. Your hives are young and the little ones can get by right now being so close, but as the colonies grow in number, please provide them with proper protection.

Its one thing for us to get stung on the face but a little one, its an entire different story.

Your bees look fine btw.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Greg Peck

• House Bee
    • GregsBees.com
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2008, 08:35:07 am »
I saw in one of your photos that you had a 2x4 under the back of the hive apparently tipping it forward. I know tipping the hive forward is a good idea to let water run out but a 2x4 sees a little much. I could be wrong, and maybe it does not make any difference. I just thought I would bring it up.
"Your fire arms are useless against them" - Chris Farley in Tommy Boy
Semper Fi
www.gregsbees.com www.secondfast.com/gregsworkshop/ www.secondfast.com/bees

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 09:24:55 am »
I saw in one of your photos that you had a 2x4 under the back of the hive apparently tipping it forward. I know tipping the hive forward is a good idea to let water run out but a 2x4 sees a little much. I could be wrong, and maybe it does not make any difference. I just thought I would bring it up.

It seems the consenus is to place the hives level, with maybe a slight tilt forward.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 11:54:04 am »
A "slight" tip forward would be between 1/8" and 1/4" fall in the run of the bottom board.  More and it may fall over eventually.  :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Janemma

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2008, 12:17:26 pm »
Janemma, just a word of caution, if you don't mind me saying. Your hives are young and the little ones can get by right now being so close, but as the colonies grow in number, please provide them with proper protection.

Its one thing for us to get stung on the face but a little one, its an entire different story.

Your bees look fine btw.

...JP

Oh I will thanks - the bees weren't out that day at all!  Hence the fact I was letting them so close like that ;)  If the bees were about at all they wouldn't have been as relaxed anyway!  I just thought it made neat pictures!  They don't mind the bees but they don't get THAT close normally unless the bees are inside! 

So the bees dn't look Queenless despite us not seeing ANY signs of them having a Queen?  I should just relax? 

Offline Janemma

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2008, 12:20:55 pm »
Thanks - I'll remove the piece of wood and find a smaller one.  I was worried about water collecting in the hive when it rains.   DH has plenty of wood in th workshop so he'll have something thinner to use!  Thanks for the advice everyone!  Can you tell from the pictures that the bees are doing ok - that they have a Queen???  Is that a stupd question from pictures?  From what 've read they don't act Queenless.....they are acting fine.....

My 15 year old thinks its funny to walk around mumbling 'I'd be looking for a Queen Supplier' but I don't want to rush into anything if they're doing fine already. OMG I think I'm obsessed!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2008, 12:29:43 pm »

Your bees look fine btw.

...JP

Oh I will thanks - the bees weren't out that day at all!  Hence the fact I was letting them so close like that ;)  If the bees were about at all they wouldn't have been as relaxed anyway!  I just thought it made neat pictures!  They don't mind the bees but they don't get THAT close normally unless the bees are inside! 

So the bees dn't look Queenless despite us not seeing ANY signs of them having a Queen?  I should just relax? 

When did you install them again? It seems they are still just building, so I wouldn't worry about what you're not seeing just yet.

...JP

Offline Janemma

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2008, 12:43:37 pm »

When did you install them again? It seems they are still just building, so I wouldn't worry about what you're not seeing just yet.

...JP

Just over two weeks ago. 

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2008, 12:50:01 pm »

...JP

Just over two weeks ago. 

Yep, they will need some more time for any definitive answer. Give it another week.

...JP

Offline Janemma

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2008, 01:07:32 pm »
Thanks...I'll try to be patient ;)  I think this beekeeping thing will be good for me ;) 

PS My little guy thinks your avatar is HYSTERICAL!!!!!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2008, 06:39:57 pm »
Yo, JP,
 I always wondered about that creepy little guy!. Just last nite Janelle asked what that "Thing" is! :-D
 I always thought he looked kind of like that little voodoo doll that murdered people in one of those shows, either the twilite zone or Night Gallery!
 have you got him on a T-shirt yet?
your friend,
john

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2008, 06:43:09 pm »
Yo, JP,
 I always wondered about that creepy little guy!. Just last nite Janelle asked what that "Thing" is! :-D
 I always thought he looked kind of like that little voodoo doll that murdered people in one of those shows, either the twilite zone or Night Gallery!
 have you got him on a T-shirt yet?
your friend,
john

No t-shirt, but loved Night Gallery, it was a very cool show!!

...JP