Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm Traps - When to Set Up?  (Read 2145 times)

Offline teezbees

• New Bee
    • Buzzed and Confused
Swarm Traps - When to Set Up?
« on: February 19, 2011, 07:52:00 pm »
I've got 3 swarm traps (molded fiber type) that I'm putting out this year. I live in upstate South Carolina; about 2 1/2 hours from Atlanta and about 1 1/2 hours from Charlotte.

When is the right time to set them up? I don't want to nail them up in the tree too early, but I don't want to wait until it's too late either.

Thanks

Travis

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Swarm Traps - When to Set Up?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 08:29:38 pm »
I like to have mine out by the 2nd week of March here in Georgia.

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 08:40:51 pm »
I'm just over from you in Tennessee and was advised in a recent post for this area to put them out the first of April, generally the swarms start around the first of May.  I'm on my phone now so I can't post a link to that post.  I will later.  There was a lot of good info in there, including some info on the swarm lure.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 09:03:18 pm by jmblakeney »
"I believe the best social program is a job...." - Ronald Reagan

Offline teezbees

• New Bee
    • Buzzed and Confused
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 08:46:21 pm »
James,

Please do. I'd like to read that article.

Nice blog by the way.

Travis

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 09:01:48 pm »
Here ya go. 
Thanks for the comment, I appreciate it.  If you were at my blog you may have already seen this post.  A link to it was in the most recent one.  Either way you have it now.

Good luck,
James
"I believe the best social program is a job...." - Ronald Reagan

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 09:26:22 pm »
We're getting swarms already down here (FL). I haven't picked any up yet but noticed today in one of our yards that two hives have swarmed.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Grandma_DOG

• House Bee
  • Build it, and they will comb.
    • LearningBeekeeping
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 12:53:10 am »
Put your traps out 1 week before your earliest known swarm.  Here in Central Texas, thats about Feb 25.
Here is my new book on Swarm Trapping at http://learningbeekeeping.com/beekeeping-articles/how-to-swarm-trap/ and follow me on youtube at OutOfaBlueSky

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 08:07:03 am »
Hardwood
 Thanks for the heads up. Being new I would have bet they were already but I kept telling myself
I was just seeing more bees because I look more,and the bees are just active because of spring
 That Box I spoke with you about I haven't moved yet, so I attached a 10 frame deep to the entrance
I then put a small comb with brood in it,The bees went to it like, bee crack, they had guard bees on it the very next day I took one between the eyes LOL
I'm hoping they think they swarmed,when I get them to the permanent yard If there is still good numbers,I'm going to try and make two hives. I really like this leaning curve hope the excitement lasts for ever.

Tommyt
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 08:24:47 pm »
Feral bees will swarm earlier, and more often, than hobby or commercial hives.  If you want a crack at 1st feral swarms have your traps out by 1st of March.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything