Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Certification to sell bees?  (Read 1299 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Certification to sell bees?
« on: July 08, 2013, 10:05:38 pm »
Just out of curiosity, shouldn't there be (or is there?) some certification/tracking method for those who sells bees?  Or is there really a need for this in the world of bees?

I'm just thinking of the tags you have to put in a goat's ear before they leave your farm. The tag id's your farm. So if some strange disease like scrappie shows up they can trace it back to where it came from. Then they'll test your lot and if any are positive they are destroyed. Also if you sell goats without tags you can go to jail.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Certification to sell bees?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 10:08:39 pm »
Your state regulates that.  Yes there is a certification of bee producers from the state. 

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 10:21:22 pm »
In NC, you can sell up to 10 hives per year without registering, or up to 50 one time if getting out of beekeeping. Otherwise, you have to be certified and the hives tested.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 12:08:41 am »
I'm not aware of any certifications needed to sell bees in our right to work State of Michigan.  There isn't even much regulation on selling honey here.  Beeks hate regulations.  :(

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 10:50:48 am »
Most states require a health certificate from the state the hive came from.  Some don't allow drawn comb at all (AL comes to mind) and some require a health certificate from the original state AND a certificate to sell bees from the destination state.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin