Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Sugar patty experimentation  (Read 5377 times)

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
Sugar patty experimentation
« on: September 10, 2013, 10:49:58 pm »

In looking and reading last night, I came across a simple recipe that seems to contradict other information I also read somewhere..

Its just karo and powdered sugar..
   BOTH, of which I remember distinctly reading were NOT good for bees.. IIRC something to do with ingredients the bees could not metabolize???

ANYHOW.. this recipe CLAIMS that the new Karo, that has 0% Fructose Corn syrup, and Powdered sugar, that has ONLY corn starch and pure cane sugar in it (NO beet sugar) is one of the best emergency foods you could use..
   Simply mix a small amount of Karo into the powdered sugar until you can form a patty between to sheets of thin wax paper... (Alternately news paper)
   If you do not want Corn starch (which supposedly has no effect on bees) you can make your own powdered sugar in the blender...

I have both in the pantry, so I looked...

KARO Ingredients. Corn syrup, Salt, Vanilla     
   Corn syrup is different from High Fructose Corn syrup I assume... But, if the commercial beeks are using High Fructose Corn syrup, what difference would it make if KARO had it in there or not?

Anyhow.. I have killed enough bees with my experimentation, I'll not be doing it again, but it would be nice to know if this sugar patty would be safe in an emergency situation, as I always have five or six bottles of Karo and plenty of sugar, powdered and granulated.
   thanks!

39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: Sugar patty experimentation
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 12:14:27 am »
Don’t know what’s in Karo and I would be suspicious of beets in any sugar that isn’t explicitly labeled as ‘100% pure cane sugar’.  Michigan grows a ton of sugar beets and I figure any sugar in this state (and probably the Midwest in general) has beets in it!

How about trying Finski’s favorite holiday treat for the bees?  Honey balls.  Mix known good honey with sugar and mix into balls or patties.  Put them over the bees and watch the bees go to dinner on them?  It's like hamburger helper for bees.  It stretches out a limited supply of the good stuff. :) 

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 12:32:02 am »
thats not a bad idea either. Kind of like that better... but the powdered sugar DOES specifically say no beet sugar.. of course... does that mean IN the bag, or IN the state it was shipped to?

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 01:49:03 pm »
I haven't fed in a few years, but I've used beet sugar for years.  I'm not so sure now because of neonics being used on beet seeds.  But I would not use anything with starch in it.  Too many solids.  Bad idea.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 02:00:39 pm »
I haven't fed in a few years, but I've used beet sugar for years.  I'm not so sure now because of neonics being used on beet seeds.  But I would not use anything with starch in it.  Too many solids.  Bad idea.

Thank you Mr. Bush. Idea discarded.

Offline MsCarol

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 11:55:24 pm »
Old Mech,

Thinking out loud but me thinks that granulated sugar - powdered at home in food processor or whatever with a bit of honey to make a patty would be far ahead if one has to feed (and likely we all do at some point) then the powdered sugar - supermarket variety. We aren't concerned about keeping it "powdered" for our use which is what the corn starch is for.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 12:02:10 am »
Bees really go after granulated sugar mixed with honey into a patty form.  No need to turn the sugar into powder first unless you really like to make a mess. :)

Offline MsCarol

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 11:02:56 am »
Bees really go after granulated sugar mixed with honey into a patty form.  No need to turn the sugar into powder first unless you really like to make a mess. :)

OH I like that idea even better. Although it might be a tasty finger licking mess, one less mess is good. ;)

I am planning to divvy up the honey stores to get both my hives through, having a plan for feeding late winter should I need to is a good thing.

With SBB it is a bit difficult to pour dry sugar on the bottom board. Might work on the top cover. The winter temps fluctuate wildly here. We often get days warm enough that not only the bees can stretch their wings/legs, but so can the fire ants.

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 10:08:54 pm »
Aye.. I use granulated sugar in the top of the hive on newspaper, but was looking for a less messy alternative.. something that holds together a bit better. The bees destroy the newspaper and the sugar tends to fall to the bottom board and get carried out, making more work for them instead of helping them..    As stated, I am not a fan of making the "Candied" boards or patties.. In three attempts only once did I come up with something that might have worked, so was looking for a NON cooking alternative...
   I think I will see what kind of mess I can make with the KARO and granulated sugar..   If I can make something that will hold together between waxed paper it will serve in a tight situation.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 07:44:36 pm »
>The bees destroy the newspaper and the sugar tends to fall to the bottom board and get carried out, making more work for them instead of helping them.. 

You need to put in a layer of sugar and spray it with a little water to clump it, repeat until you have enough sugar.  Wet the front edge to get them to recognize it as food.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything