2 (12.5%)
Sunday August 31st
7 (43.8%)
Monday September 1st
1 (6.3%)
Make it a 2 day event?
6 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: B Square for Labor Day Weekend 2008.  (Read 84776 times)

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
Re: B Square for Labor Day Weekend 2008.
« Reply #100 on: July 24, 2008, 07:51:33 pm »
I keep hoping to prove to the lottery gods that winning the lottery won't ruin me.  Just a little win.  We'd be on a plane and out there in a minute if we could!  As Annette said, jealous, jealous, jealous!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #101 on: July 24, 2008, 07:53:57 pm »
Ann, manifest, manifest, maybe it will come.....beautiful day in this great life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Hannah-Davida

• New Bee
« Reply #102 on: July 25, 2008, 02:48:13 pm »
I'll bring a djembe and a guitar...and whatever else I pick up between now and then!  :-D

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #103 on: July 26, 2008, 01:31:35 am »
   Brian how far are you from Fort Lewis?
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #104 on: July 27, 2008, 12:12:55 am »
   Brian how far are you from Fort Lewis?

About 100 miles north.  I'm actually closer to Cindi in BC than Fort Lewis in Washington. 

BTW, there are 2 communities outside of Fort Lewis, one is called Tillicum and the other is Steillicum.  The 1st means the people in Chinook Jargon and the 2nd means where people meet.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #105 on: July 27, 2008, 01:04:17 pm »
Brian, I know that you are of Chinook heritage, tell us more....I cannot hold back my inquisitive nature, you know how I am....beautiful and most wonderful days, so many more to come.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #106 on: July 28, 2008, 01:06:04 am »
Brian, I know that you are of Chinook heritage, tell us more....I cannot hold back my inquisitive nature, you know how I am....beautiful and most wonderful days, so many more to come.  Cindi

Actually, I'm not.  I'm one of the few white men who still treat the trade jargon for what it was instead of trying to make it into something it never was....are you listening academics?   My Greatgrandfather's Uncles James and Robert Swan were early traders in Washington when it was still Oregon territory, they founded Swantown (now part of Olympia) and were the main interpreters between government agents and the various Salish Indian tribes.  The Chinook Jargon is a part of out family heritage, my indian blood, what little of it there is, is of Cree origin from my Great-great grandmother's side.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #107 on: July 28, 2008, 01:43:28 pm »

Actually, I'm not.  The Chinook Jargon is a part of out family heritage, my indian blood, what little of it there is, is of Cree origin from my Great-great grandmother's side.

Brian, my deep apology.  I think that because I recall you speaking many times of Chinook Jargon, I ASSUMED you had some strong Indian blood in you, assumptions are not a good thing.  But you see, you DO have a dabble of native within, your Great-Great Grandmother's side.  You have some very interesting family history, I can tell that, and that is a totally wonderful thing, you should be very proud!!!  Tell me, and can you define what the "Chinook Jargon" means?  I am not overly clear on that and I need to know.  You know me, I have that need for knowledge.  Have that most beautiful and wonderful day that one can muster up.  Cindi

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #108 on: July 29, 2008, 12:18:17 am »
Chinook Jargon was the trade language used by all the PNW tribes when engaging in intertribal commerce.  It was used as far south as San Francisco, CA north to Sagway, AK and from the Pacific Ocean to the Rockies.  Every tribe contributed words to it as the custom amongst the Indians was to use words from their trading partners.  Chinook even has a few Japanese and Chinese root words as well as having English and French incorporated into it after the white man began trading with the NW Indians.  Hudson's Bay Company at one time claimed to have created the language but Chinook Jargon is actually several thousands years old and comprises some 1500 basic words that, depending on word order and emphasis was very effective in communicating between the different peoples.

It is an animonapia language, meaning the word sounds like what it means, i.e. Kalakala originally meant geese or goose in imitation of the sound of a flock of geese flying overhead.  Wawa means to talk (wag the tongue), while Woots was a general word for bear in imitation of the whoof the bear made when snorting.  Chuck means water so when you hear someone refer to the saltchuck they're talking about the ocean or seas (a body of salt water).  Tumtum means heart in reference to the sound of the beating heart and since many of the Indian tribes believed the water fall was the heart of a stream or river the Chinook word for water fall is, appropriately, Tumchuck.

BTW, Chinook Jargon was given its name by Lewis & Clark during their winter at the mouth of The Columbia River during their trek to the Pacific.  John Rogers Jewett, after 3 years as a slave amongst the Tribe on the Northern end of Vancouver Island (Dang--Air Brain--I can't remember the tribe's name right now) found that the language he learned and included in his book was the same as that recorded by Lewis & Clark 500 miles south.  Both events occurred within the same time period.  The Trade language was used when conversing with anyone outside of their own tribe so all slaves and intertribal communication was in Chinook Jargon.

Nootka, the Nootka tribe was where John Rogers Jewett was held as a slave for a few years.    The Chinook word for slave is Mistimus, which is derived from the Japanese Mistumustsu meaning at your service.  The Japanese, under Shogun tradition, had to kneel before their boss and present themselves as being of service.  To this day in Japan when you answer the phone you answer with "at your service."  The PNW Indians (Salish and Bela Bela, etc) thought the knealing people were slaves so they took the word, modified it a bit, and the tradition for their own.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #109 on: July 29, 2008, 10:11:51 am »
Brian, I loved that.  Thank you, I now fully understand what you imply when you say Chinook Jargon.  So interesting how the human being learns to communicate well, even though all not speaking the same language.  Beautiful.  You certainly are an amazing man with your depth of knowledge of things that I know you hold in your heart, my hat off to you, friend.  Your taking the time you do to explain things to me makes me feel very happy and grateful, you need to know that, and I must tell that to you.  Have the most beautiful and best of this wonderful day, Cindi

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #110 on: August 05, 2008, 12:03:33 am »
Note to All:

I will be PMing my address and phone number to those I know for certain are coming on August 31st sometime this week.  If you plan to attend and don't get a PM, PM me and I'll send you the info.  I would suggest doing a Map Quest to augment my directions. 

I just mounted a 2 line Address & Name sign at the upper end of the circular drive way, so if you can't find my house once you're south bound on H Avenue you could probably qualify as legally blind.

To Dane and Sean, and anyone else bringing an Instrument, I will PM you the Lyrics to "You Can't Fool an Old Horsefly" seperately.  I have reduced it down to 2 pages by setting it up the same way verses would be in sheet music.

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #111 on: August 17, 2008, 06:58:07 pm »
Brian and all,

I have some bad news and regret to tell you that I will not be attending the party this year.  Something very important came up that takes priority.  I was really looking forward to seeing everyone in person and putting faces to names.

My apologies to everyone,

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #112 on: August 22, 2008, 06:00:34 pm »
Well I can't believe it. One week from today I am on a plane to the west coast. I arrive in SEA on Friday night. Where my wife and I will crash that night. In the morning we plan on going to Brian's place. Hopefully there are street signs. After many days of potential excitement at Brian's  place the wife and I will head to Vancouver and then a few days in Seattle. Wifey is very excited about this trip which means I have no say so in where we are going.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #113 on: August 23, 2008, 12:03:54 am »
Well I can't believe it. One week from today I am on a plane to the west coast. I arrive in SEA on Friday night. Where my wife and I will crash that night. In the morning we plan on going to Brian's place. Hopefully there are street signs. After many days of potential excitement at Brian's  place the wife and I will head to Vancouver and then a few days in Seattle. Wifey is very excited about this trip which means I have no say so in where we are going.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

Street signs galore, maybe too many.  The state directional signs cause a lot of confusion in my area as there is so much info on them or they are so close together that people have a tendency to get lost.  Google map my address I sent you.  I just put up a address and name sign in front of the house so if you are going South on 41St Street in Anacortes you have to be blind to miss my house.

I think Cindi would be more than willing to give you directions on BC Sites. But you can take the Ferry from here to Victoria BC that has enough tourist sites for a weeks stay....The Bouschart Garden between Victoria and Sidney is absolutely beautiful.

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #114 on: August 23, 2008, 08:07:02 pm »
I can't wait to meet everyone! I have a teensy bit of honey for tasting from my inspection today.  Brian, I need an address & directions so I can google the easiest way to get there from here. It will be fun putting faces to posts! Hope the weather cooperates, although Brian is in the Banana Belt of the NW!  Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #115 on: August 24, 2008, 10:23:43 pm »
I have a teensy bit of honey for tasting from my inspection today.

I was actually wondering how your bees were doing the other day.  I've pulled 30lbs already and have a ton more to get.  Sucks that I can't go to Brian's party.  I'm really upset about missing it.

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #116 on: August 25, 2008, 10:38:39 am »
Sean, I meant to comment here, but got sidetracked.  That is a total bummer that you can't come, really, it would have been so nice to meet you.  We will all take pictures and get some wonderful ones going on for all our forum friends to see us.  It is going to be a grand time, we will all be thinking of the members that very obviously can't come because of distance, time constraints, whatever is preventing this trip to Brian's barbeque of the century.  I am sure we will all be talking about ya'll, you'll have burning ears for surely, hee, hee  ;) :) :)  Maybe  if it goes well, he will do one each year, hee, hee.  Actually, I know how much work it is to put on an event, Brian is gonna be burned right out!!!  Have that most wonderful and awesomely great day, be groovin' on our groovey lives.  Cindi

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #117 on: August 25, 2008, 07:50:38 pm »
I have a teensy bit of honey for tasting from my inspection today.

I was actually wondering how your bees were doing the other day.  I've pulled 30lbs already and have a ton more to get.  Sucks that I can't go to Brian's party.  I'm really upset about missing it.

Sean Kelly

I'm sorry you can't make it, I was really looking forward to meeting you (and everybody else) but when duty calls..... 
I have nursed my 2 surviving hives back from baseball sized clumps to 3 mediums so they should overwinter well.  I'm starting to feed them so they stuff the hive with as much stores as possible as the bees and the birds are saying it's going to be a rough winter. 
The Heron's from the Fidalgo Nookery (nesting  grounds) are already packing up and flying south a month earlier than usual...that's another sign of a early hard winter.

Brian

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #118 on: August 26, 2008, 03:05:18 pm »
Brian, that is pretty shocking that the herons are already packing up.  I have noticed some strange things this year too.  I haven't seen barely any yellowjackets, now that is the weirdest one I notice too, hardly any at all.  The cold spring must have affected them terribly.  Oh dear.  Have a wonderful and awesomely great day, Cindi

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #119 on: August 26, 2008, 03:59:39 pm »
2 weeks ago around 9 @ P.M. I heard geese, a big flock, musta been 30 were flying south aleready.  Mtn. Ash has gadzoodles of berries, the swallows are congregating on the telephone lines & my goat is already fuzzy. Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard