Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: hive loss so far  (Read 9742 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
hive loss so far
« on: January 14, 2010, 05:43:25 pm »
someone was keeping track of winter hive loss.  since it was warm enough for them to fly today, i can see that i have lost 3.  2 were expected and the other was not a complete surprise.  it did not build up properly over last year, so it went into winter kind of iffy.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline John Schwartz

• House Bee
    • The Bee Farm
Re: hive loss so far
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 06:12:57 pm »
hey Kathy! was fun to see the girls flying today as well.
―John Schwartz, theBee.Farm

Offline harvey

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 07:59:57 pm »
Kathy,   How warm does it have to be for the bee's to fly?   

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 09:18:25 pm »
depends.  i have had them fly on a sunny day in the 30s with snow on the ground.  most of the time, it needs to be above 45 and they really fly at 50.  sun on the  hive and no wind will bring them  out at a lower temp.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 10:12:38 pm »
lost two.  one expected the other not.  I must learn the value of fall feeding, and to start early.
Brian

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 10:28:30 pm »
I've lost two possibly three. All that cold rain was rough on them. One the wind blew off the top and they got soaked, other two were a sad surprise. :'( :'( :'(

Offline GaryMinckler

• House Bee
    • Honeybees and Beekeeping
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 10:38:07 pm »
I expected to see bees flying today as well but didn't.  It was only about 35 degrees but has been brutally cold.  I've lost 1 or 2 and possibly more to come. 

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 11:02:33 pm »
35 is still pretty low.  wait for a warmer day and see what happens.

Offline wouldliketobee

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 03:13:25 am »
I lost my one and only hive things looked good until a couple of weeks ago that cold snap along with all the rain we had last year made my first year tough, I thought they had plenty of stores , but it appears they didn't, I'm ready to try again this year.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 06:46:28 am »
getting close to 60 degree's today, I haven't inspected yet but while today and I am going to feed all mine
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2010, 08:18:12 am »
Kathy,   How warm does it have to be for the bee's to fly?  

In Finland cleansing flight happens when it is sunny, calm and 41F warm. Then bees are able to rise up from snow.

In spring bees bring water from ground if sun heats some soil spot. It happens in 35F.

Bees may fly even in frost weather but they are not able to return to home.

I wonder your losses, what are the reasons? I have 30 hives and probably I expect to loose one or not at all. I see it in March.
Normal dead rate is 0,5/ winter. Last winter the hive had laying dronelayer and hive reared broo whole winter.

Language barrier NOT included

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2010, 09:03:13 am »
lost 1 out of 9 so far.  Not the one I expected but they obviously had not built up in the fall, tiny cluster that froze.  Oh well.

Of all my hives, some will fly when it is sunny and 25, I don't think they make it back, but I can tell they are alive by the dead bees in the snow in front of the hive.  Some hives won't fly till it is warmer.  Some will fly when cloudy and in the high 30's, some won't.

Rick
Rick

Offline treebee

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2010, 09:51:14 am »
  I lost one late fall cutout yesterday when I went to feed. My big hive looked good with a few bees dead out front I think from clean out on the warm day.  Pretty sad It's my first year and fist lost I had stethascoped them last week and could here a buzz but I didn't open them... Does anyone keep bees over winter in a high tunnel or green house.  John
Relax, step back, take a deep breath, the finger you save just might be your own!

Offline USC Beeman in TN

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2010, 10:22:46 am »
Found 1 dead out at a farm I keep some of my bees on 12/18.  Went out there yesterday and found 2 more dead hive.  One of them had a huge nest with a large family of mice in it.  The were in the top super where I only had 4 or 5 frames of Permacomb filled with sugar syrup and back filled with dry sugar over newspaper.  I put that super on top of another hive that had the cluster in the top super at the top back left corner.  This should help them if they decide to move upwards instead of to the right where there are still more honey stores.

The hives that were not flying, I did see clusters.  Will need to add a gallon can of 2:1 SW on top of a couple of them.

Have 10 hives at the house.  8 of the 10 I same some flying.  In fact, several of them were very active in flying and carrying off their dead sisters. 1 of the 2 that wasn't flying I feel sure is clustered because I saw dead bees that had been put out on the landing board several days ago.  The 2nd one doesn't get much light because it faces a huge hackberry tree and doesn't get much sun this time of the year.

Have another hive at anothe locatin and they were flying but were in the top super and will need a gallon of 2:1 soon.  If I can get through till it gets warmer without anymore losses, I will feel like I came through great.  Most of these hives were cutouts, trapouts, swarms or splits.  The splits seem to be doing well.  Lost 3 of my 4 packages back in late summer.  The one nuc I purchased seems to be hanging in there.

So currently I stand at 10 +1+7 = 18 hives
De Colores,
Ken

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2010, 11:26:35 am »
We have had unusually extended cold weather for our area. I just peaked under a couple of covers a couple of weeks ago (it was in the teens at night and not out of the low to mid 30's during day). I feared I had feed issues from what I say and the possibility of several losses.

I inspected yesterday and at this point all are alive (10 full colonies and 4 nucs). We should begin to see a Red maple bloom in about 3 weeks if the trend follows the last three years.
John 3:16

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2010, 11:52:20 am »
I wonder your losses, what are the reasons?

two were late swarms that never did to well.  they were from pollination hives, i'm sure.  the 3rd had struggled for a couple of year and even with requeening had not done so well.  it was an old cutout.  i am going to strip out the foundation in that one and start over.

i have been concentrating on collecting feral hives.  these have either come from established hives that i have removed, or from swarms from feral hives.  these bees have done well and have required no treatment for 3 years. 

since this is a hobby for me, i can experiment a bit.  so far, i have been pleased with the results.

Offline charmd2

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2010, 12:26:36 pm »
Wednesday I got to check into mine..   Went from 9 in November to currently 5.   None of the losses were a surprise.  Should have combined.  I'm actually expecting to loose two more..  :(    Hoping next summer we get a much better oppertunity to build up,  7 of my 9 never really got going last summer. 
Charla Hinkle

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2010, 02:39:13 pm »
Been having a Jan thaw these last 2 days.  Temps in the mid 30's and calm.   Snow is finally melted back enough to go check without snow shoes.  My snowmobile is broken.  2 dead out of 30 so far.  Feb is the month i really worry about.  Even early March.  If I can make it through with 90% alive I will be one happy Beek.   I have my sugar boards poured and a 50# block of fondant ready for a warm day peek next month

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2010, 02:45:51 pm »
Feb is the month i really worry about.  Even early March

me too.  those are the danger months here.  it warms up just enough for them to go through all their stores with nothing for them to collect.

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2010, 04:10:42 pm »
So far (knock on wood) I've still got all of my 9 hives and 5 nucs.  One Hive and Nuc had begun to tap into the granulated sugar stores I put on them.  I will have to keep checking on all of their stores when the temp allows it.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...