Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pierco plastic frames with foundation  (Read 3131 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Pierco plastic frames with foundation
« on: June 20, 2007, 10:32:49 am »
Yes, I have had problems with the bees definitely not liking the Pierco plastic frames at all.  I have tried spraying sugar syrup solution and still a reluctance.  My bees really love the wooden frames, no problems ever with them.

I think what I am going to do with a few of the frames that are plastic is:  I am going to get my husband to cut out the plastic foundation, leaving a one inch starter strip at the top.  I am pretty sure this will work, just like when foundation is cut in strips and attached to the top of frames. 

Has anyone ever tried this method of starter strips?  Have a wonderful day, great life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline SteveSC

• House Bee
Re: Pierco plastic frames with foundation
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 11:32:44 am »
Cindi..  I put 5 med. supers with black Pierco frames out this yr..  Three of the hives took to the plastic pretty good - the frames are mostly full now.  Two of the hive just haven't done well at all - maybe 1\2 drawn comb and no honey stored. 

These are large hives so I put a super with 1\2 drawn wax frames and 1\2 undrawn wax foundation on top of the Pierco supers.  The bees are really working on the waxed super. My thought was to get the bees in the mood of drawing comb and maybe when they finished drawing the wax on the top super they'd finish the Pierco super below it.  Sounds good in theory but might not work in actuality....LOL 

I thought about switching supers from the ones that seem to like the Pierco have them work on the supers from the hives that didn't like them.....  My only concern would be how would they take to a different scent on the supers when I switched them...would it get the hive in a aggitated state...?

I haven't used to strips w\Peircos but it might work.  Then again they might not draw past the strips.. 

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 11:57:37 am »
My only concern would be how stiff the frames would be after the plastic core is cut out.  I think you might find they are pretty flimsy and won't be straight.

But sounds like a reasonable plan to try.  Maybe start with 1 or 2 to see how it goes.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline wtiger

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 01:24:37 pm »
My only experience with the pierco foundation so far has been negative.  The bees are very reluctant to draw it out.  I'm on my second medium with starter strips on The other package I hived this spring, but the hive on the pierco plastic foundation hardly seems to have developed.  They have about 4 or 5 frames drawn out, but about 6  frames of bees.  I think I'm going to start feeding in starter strips one at a time into the center of the brood nest and start working the plastic over and out.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 10:43:25 am »
Robo, my husband cut out 9 of the plastic frames.  The frames are very rigid, absolutely no way that they could be flimsy.  Too tough.  I have not had a chance to go into the colonies to give one frame to each one, too rainy.  But what I did do was give one to the nuc I made that is bent on drawing comb in the inner frame feeder.  I took out the inner frame feeder, gave them a baggie feeder of s.s. and put this frame in the positon that the frame feeder was.  That was the day of the colony starvation number, so next sunny day I am going to see how they like it.  They are surely in comb drawing mode, this little (not so little anymore) nuc.  Going great guns, I am going to soon have to give it a super.  Yeah!!!  Have a wonderful day, great life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 10:56:43 am »
Robo, my husband cut out 9 of the plastic frames.  The frames are very rigid, absolutely no way that they could be flimsy.  Too tough. 

Cool, good to know.   They should work fine for you then.  Good luck.....
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison