Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: how many bowhunters on here  (Read 14190 times)

Offline firetool

• House Bee
how many bowhunters on here
« on: March 27, 2005, 10:12:44 pm »
I love bow hunting. I have been doing it since I was 10 years old and I am now 30. I was just woundering how many hunters we had on here.

Brian

Offline Rabbitdog

• House Bee
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 01:06:38 pm »
At least 1.
I've been bowhunting for 24 years.  We have a wonderful problem in the City of Lynchburg ........ too many deer.  The abundance has provided a 6 month long bowseason in town.  Unfortunately, the state now wants to increase the kill numbers, so some idiot beauracrat came up with the idea of allowing crossbows during archery season.  Imagine comparing a hunter with a crossbow to a real archer.  Robinhood must be turning over in his grave.  Makes me sick (and furious) but what's a poor boy to do?
"Born Po, Die Po" ........ just need to feed myself in between!

Offline buzz

• House Bee
    • My home page... nothing much
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 03:16:44 pm »
I went rifle hunting last year for my first time, and this year I'm going to try bowhunting. In fact, I just got my bow on Thursday!!! :lol:
Scott
----------
"If you have no money and you have few possessions, if you have a dog you are still rich"
----------
"Forgiveness is easier to get than permission"

Offline firetool

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2005, 11:34:42 am »
Welcome buzz,
 Its much harder than rifle hunting but much more rewording too.There have been times that I got close to getting a shot. I still got inside the deers personal zone and was there for some time. I find that just as rewording as getting the anaimal except for the fact you can not eat memories.
 Rabbit dog I agree with you. just one thing though we sould not turn on other forms of hunting we need to stick together or they will use it as a chane to stop hunting altogether(anti- hunters). We need to help these cross bow hunters be the best they can be. This means getting them to come to convert to bowhunting. Where you live at I would like to come hunt some time after our seson has closed maybe.We only get the month of oct. for bow seasonand the months of Nov.,Dec. and the first of Jan.. We can hunt with a bow during gen. season if we want to.
 I had a new baby this deer season so I did not get out very much this last year. I am about to go chase some pigs around though.

Brian

P.S.- Buzz practice as much as you can so when you release on a deer you have confidents that the arrow is flighing true to its mark.Then you will get to see the flechings disaper trough the deer and that is cool. If you have any ? don't hesata to ask. I would love to help any way I can.

Offline buzz

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2005, 12:07:26 pm »
I've been practicing all I can. :D  Heres a picture :lol:

click for larger image
Scott
----------
"If you have no money and you have few possessions, if you have a dog you are still rich"
----------

Offline Rabbitdog

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2005, 04:57:44 pm »
When you say pig hunting, do you mean real wild hogs or javelenas?  I've always wanted to take a hog with my bow.  Not a big nasty stinking boar but maybe 150 pound sow for food.  They don't run wild in Va. unless you go to a game farm and that's fishing out of a barrel to me.
Buzz,
The greatest thrill is to be up high with appropriate cover scent and simply be able to observe critters when they are totally unaware of your presence.  I've had small bucks so close that I could hear them crunching acorns like breakfast cereal, even sniff the base of the tree I was in.  Things like that mostly happen in the city where the deer are quite used to interactions with humans.  Don't assume that means they are tame.  They'll run like the country deer if they see you draw but they are a bit more forgiving of strange scents.  The city deer also do stranger things than their country cousins.  I took a 6 pt. last year that was chasing a housecat through the woods.  Another time, a 7 point walked up on me while I was pulling my bow up to the stand.  He froze and focused on the bow that was mysteriously hovering in the air.  Then followed it with his eyes as I slowly pulled it up.  Just as I reached out and grabbed it, he realized there was a person in the tree and got of out Dodge.  What fun!

Offline firetool

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2005, 01:48:47 am »
Rabbit these are hogs not those stinking Javelenas! You could not pay me to eat a Javelena. Feral hogs run wild here.  Peanut farmes hate em.  I would not stop at 150 pounds though. The sows eat good upto about 250 -300. Boars i would say no bigger than 175 then they start to stink.  You just missed it though, I used to run guided hog hunts here.  Had to quit because I couldn't get enough clients w/out advertising (too expensive) and wanted to have more time to take my family hunting (and fishing!).  If you ever get a chance to shoot a hog, don't worry about the rumors of not being able to shoot thorugh the shield on the side of the pig if you shoot a 60+ pound bow. You'll punch through like a hot knife through butter.   If you are interested, we might could work out something where you could come hunt here (free) on public land or a ranch with a small land owner fee.  I'd like to seen that buck chasing a cat.  I probably couldn't have shot the buck I'd been laughing so hard!

Buz is that a Parker?  I like them.  If I had the budget I'd have one too!  I currently shoot a Hoyt MT Sport.

Offline buzz

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2005, 02:05:03 am »
Yep, it's a Parker Extreme Hunter Mag. Man, I hear those Hoyts are pretty sweet bows! :lol:
Scott
----------
----------

Offline firetool

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2005, 09:31:08 am »
The hoyts are nice put I had a chance to shoot a Parker and it was a smooth shooting bow. I feel in love with them. I should not have shoot it. I quess mine will do the trick though.
 Do you plan on hunting deer with your bow for the frist season or are you going for somthing esle to like beat or Turkey. Turkey is fun becouse their eyes are so good. I have yet to get to full draw on one. They always see me to soon.
 Has any body told you about what to do if a deer is jumpy when it comes in and you are wanting to try a shoot?If you have more Questions but you don't want to ask on here you could pm me. I know I had lotts when I started out in this sport!

Brian

Offline Rabbitdog

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2005, 01:19:06 pm »
I don't know if anybody has ever told the newbie what to do when a deer is jumpy but how about telling me.  I usually get jumpy too!

Offline firetool

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2005, 12:55:38 am »
If you have ever had a deer jump the string. This can help some. First off if the deer looks jump or nurvis or suspishas of some thing. You should aim a little lowwer on the deer than normal. Becouse it is ready for some thing,and it could jump the string and you would miss it or worest yet you might wound it. If the deer is calm and does not thing any thing is up then just aim normaly. Becouse the oddes are low the deer will reacted in time.

Brian

P.S.-I don't know how to help you to quit being jumpy,becouse I still get very much excited myself.If I quit feling the excite ment I will hang up the bow and just shoot them with a rifle for food.The rest of the time I will take pictures of them.

Offline Rich V

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2005, 12:22:50 pm »
I'am also a bow hunter. Started when I was 8 years old. Killed my first deer at 21. Illinois has a 3 1/2 month archery season. Been to Larado Texas on a couple of them hog,and javelena hunts. Your right, don't eat the javelena, spit them nasty tasting things out.

Rich V

Offline firetool

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2005, 01:36:36 pm »
lol thats right they are nasty

brian

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2005, 11:47:01 pm »
I used to be really good with a bow. When I was 6 I would practice for about 2 hours every day and by the time I was 10 I guess I just got burnt out. I havent shot a bow since. :?
Ryan Horn

Offline firetool

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2005, 10:49:08 am »
I am sorry you quit. :roll: The amount of time you practices is nothing. When I was in Juinor high and high school. My mom would drop me at the archery range on her way to work and would pick me up in the evening after work. So not counting the breakes I would shoot about 5 1/2 to 6 hours a day five days a week for about 2 months total each summer. I had to have the servings on my string replaced about once a month while shooting this much.

Brian

Offline Rabbitdog

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2005, 01:07:49 pm »
WOW, that's alot of practice!
I usually practice 4 or 5 times a week starting 6 weeks before the season comes in.  After I get back in the swing of things and the bow is sighted in to my comfort level at up to 25 yards, I cut back significantly.  Then, it seems as if I have reached the point of deminishing returns.
That strategy worked for 12 this year.  Unfortunately, there were 2 misses and 1 did not recover (although that was totally the result of starting to track before I should have ..... I knew better but I was cramped for time ...... trailed too early and blew it).

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2005, 08:18:54 pm »
I guess I should have told you I have been shooting 22 rifels since I was 6 too. I never gave up 22 and now I compete againts guys my dads age and older, I am 1 of 2 teens that can place high enough to shoot in that round. Even though I dont know a ton about my guns I am a great shot and placed 3rd out of 40. My first time I won it was a smaller compotition and I only won a hat but that is my lucky hat now and I wear it to every outing, that hat means so much to me, bye :D
Ryan Horn

Offline Rich V

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2005, 11:49:17 am »
Our season ends on Jan. 15th. I stop shooting then. Around this time of year April. I pick the bow up again and shoot just about every night until the season opens in Oct.  I love archery I'ts part of my life.

Does anyone fish with their bow?

Offline firetool

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2005, 10:28:01 am »
I have done some with my recurve bow. I could not get the fish reel to work so I just use regular arrows and pine them to the mud. I had the big round kind that you just wind it up on and I did not like it. I need to try the one that is like a fishing reel. I realy injoy bow fishing ,but just don't get to do as much as I like.

Brian

Offline Rich V

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2005, 11:23:38 am »
The zebco 808 is a great reel for bow fishing.