Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Can you combine 2 swarms?  (Read 1932 times)

Offline Tom Cannon

• New Bee
Can you combine 2 swarms?
« on: May 01, 2009, 07:44:50 pm »
Hi All,
Just got started on Beemaster, and love this wonderfull hobby.I got 3 pkg's of Bee's with Italian queens and put them in there new home a couple of weeks ago and seem to be doing fine.
now for the adventure part...

I got a small swarm about a week ago that had just started building comb in an old farm house. I put the comb in 2 frames with rubber bands and wire to hold them up. After checking on them in a couple of days, the combs have collasp ed and can only pull the 2 frame out together because of there repair job tieing the 2 frames together. This was a small swarm as it was just getting started.
fast forward to today...

Got another swarm from a branch, " just a little bigger than a football". They are tucked away in a nuc box waiting for it to stop raining.
Question is:

Can i combine this swarm with the smaller swarm making the weird looking comb repair job to increase it's size?

If any one can give me some pointers here, it would really help out.
Tom

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
Re: Can you combine 2 swarms?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 08:10:53 pm »
You can combine them if you pinch one of the queens... If it were me though I'd at least wait to see which queen is the better one before combining if that's what you want to do.

Offline Tom Cannon

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 08:17:45 pm »
Thanks sgtmaj,
How would i know if one is better than the other? Tom

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 08:32:15 pm »
By the brood pattern and volume, as well as the temperament of the bees in the hives.

Offline Tom Cannon

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 08:51:54 pm »
OK, thanks for the info.
UPS just dropped off my new hive locator instrument... an e-bay stethoscope. Works good on the nuc in the truck.
take care

anything