Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Sugar in the honey?  (Read 1726 times)

Offline brushwoodnursery

• House Bee
    • Brushwood Nursery
Sugar in the honey?
« on: May 10, 2013, 11:19:52 pm »
So, whenever someone talks about feeding and bees stashing the syrup in cells, everyone says you can't harvest that, it's not honey. I agree it isn't honey but i may have had some feeder robbing going on and may have some mixed in with honey (in the strong hive next to the captured swarm I was feeding for a little while). Is it simply a moral issue or will it not keep the same? I don't sell my honey but wouldn't want to harvest if it's going to be an issue in storage.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: Sugar in the honey?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 11:27:55 pm »
If a little is mixed in and it's for your own use it's okay. It will keep okay. I just wouldn't want to sell converted syrup as converted nectar(honey).

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 12:04:47 am »
What type feeder are you using? :) d2

Offline brushwoodnursery

• House Bee
    • Brushwood Nursery
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 08:01:16 am »
It was a top feeder with a vented inner cover above it. Looked like there was some flying in the top going on. Been a while but some of it may be in a super on the other hive.
Jack of all trades, master of none.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 08:10:09 am »
If using  the top feeder put it directly over the brood box. Be sure not to place the inner cover between the feeder and brood box. Be sure the top lid is sealed tight to keep robbers out or it could start a frenzy.It also results in a lot of bees drowning in the topside.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 10:35:09 am »
It is allways a problem how to get rid of extra winter food before new yield starts to come in.
There is a regulation, how many percent sucrose is allowed be in honey.

Language barrier NOT included

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2013, 02:28:24 pm »
I agree with buzzbee.  My first year I made the mistake of feeding, feeding, feeding after the flow to get more honey and then realized that all I was getting was converted sugar water.  While the bees do add some enzymes, etc. to the stores and it does taste like a very light honey, morally I would never sell or pass it off to others as pure honey.

My husband and I did end up eating up what I collected that season but I am now in a place where I don't like to feed AT ALL unless I absolutely have to in the fall/dearth periods.  I think it is much more important to leave real nectar-based honey on the hive for the girls to overwinter with than for me to harvest more for me and then feed them sugar water to get through the winter.  The girls stay healthier eating nectar-based honey and i think, in the long run, will produce more anyway.

Linda D.
linda d

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 02:36:07 pm »
Syrup honey is easy to identyfy. It is very sweet but it has no flower aroma.

Language barrier NOT included

anything