Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I TRAPPED A SWARM  (Read 27398 times)

Offline rbinhood

• House Bee
Re: I TRAPPED A SWARM
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2013, 11:39:52 am »
As with anything new you hug them, caress them, kiss them, and kill them with love and kindness.  LOL
Only God can make these two things.....Blood and Honey!

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2013, 06:07:31 pm »
Hive those bees like he would!
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline hummelkurt

• New Bee
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2013, 11:05:41 pm »
went into the bee yard sunday afternoon the 31th there on a legustrum bush almost on the ground was swarm #3. shook them into a 8 frame deep congrats to me!!!! LIVING LARGE IN NORTH LOUISIANA!!!!!!

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2013, 06:08:32 am »
Sounds like life is great. Congratulations, three already and spring has hardly just begun.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline hummelkurt

• New Bee
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2013, 08:53:05 pm »
swarm #4 is becoming expensive...bought 3 nucs spiced them up ....nothing. now i have 8 swarm traps out...more than ever...and nothing .   swarm season must be over????

Offline hummelkurt

• New Bee
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2013, 09:12:46 pm »
SWARM # 4 PLACED ITSELF ON A SMALL PLUM TREE IN MY YARD THIS AFTERNOON ABOUT 430PM..THAT'S WHEN  I NOTICED IT. PLACED IT IN ONE OF MY NEW 5 FRAME NUCS....NO DOUBT IT CAME FROM ONE OF ORIGINAL HIVES. ALL'S WELL NEAR DARK..........TRAPS OUT TOTAL 9 WITH ONE RIDING IN THE BACK SEAT OF MY CAR WAITING FOR THAT PERFECT SPOT. I MEAN THERE IS NOTHING TO THIS SWARM TRAPPING!!!!! ALSO ORDERED 300 DOLLARS OF EQUIPMENT FROM MANN LAKE TODAY.

Offline hummelkurt

• New Bee
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2013, 04:58:57 pm »
WELL, THIS TREAD HAS TURNED INTO NO MORE THAN A NOTEBOOK FOR ME TO KEEP MY 2013 SWARM SEASON RECORDS. OH WELL, IT HAS COME IN HANDY FOR ME, MYSELF, AND I. THANKS TO BOTH OF YOU GUYS AND DOLLS WHO COMMENTED, IT DID HELP....STAY IN TOUCH.....LOVE YOU.....MEAN IT!!!!!

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2013, 06:58:33 pm »
Mine have shut down as well.  I'm hoping the trap line is buzzing when I check tomorrow.
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline hummelkurt

• New Bee
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2013, 10:12:22 am »
HOW MANY TRAPS DO YOU HAVE OUT???

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2014, 10:41:05 am »
I GOT ANOTHER SWARM TODAY EHHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEH A BIG ONE TOO

kool-aid

Offline hummelkurt

• New Bee
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2014, 11:08:30 pm »
 :)Been awhile since I visited, came back to check my swarm catching history. Because I caught a big ole swarm today in the middle of my yard. I noticed a little action in one knothole traps and as I was walking out, saw the swarm attached to the same ligustrum bush that I found one in last year. I boxed them in a ten frame deep with one shallow and my new screened bottom board with the oil beetle tray underneath.

I don't know if anybody reads any of this, but it sure is good record keeping for me. Found the swarm about 3:15 p.m. If anyone out there reads this, let's talk swarm trapping...nothing better than free bees. The Hummel Farm Apiary now totals four hives with three that survived the winter and the new swarm today. 

Offline hummelkurt

• New Bee
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2014, 07:51:24 am »
Swarm business has been the last few days. It can only pick up. I put a trap out on the cross bayou bridge beside a fallen willow tree that was covered with bees prior to the cold snap. Temps have been in the 30s and 40s the last 3 nights. I now have 7 traps on my trapline that i will be running today. I'm still looking for that perfect spot.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2014, 11:45:32 pm »
Kurt,
I have 2 swarm traps in my back yard that have each caught 2 swarms last year but none this year. I suspect several of my hives that I did not get to swarmed but none used the traps this year.
I have done 2 trap outs. One that I will be bringing home this weekend. One was In a tree and the other is in a balcony. Both were new swarms.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline beesNme

• House Bee
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2014, 11:01:40 am »
congrats !!!!, so far this year i know of only 1 swarm, mother nature has to up her temps some more,

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2014, 12:50:48 pm »
Thanks.
The Swarms will bee coming soon. :-D
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline hummelkurt

• New Bee
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2014, 10:31:56 am »
Jim, I believe.......of course I've read a lot about bees.....and one could never read all there is about bees......so many opinions......that's another story.........back to believe that whatever attracts them to that spot once, will do it again. My beeyard is in the back yard of the house across the street from my house. I bought the house in 2009 as a fixer upper. The first order of business was to remove the huge hive of bees parked in the soffit on the far end from the carport door, that the occupants used. I called a beeman from a local website. He explained...."sure you can keep them....simply order a hive box and we'll place them in it." With box ready, I assisted him in the cutout/removal process.....I was stung...to say the least.......many times......all over......in places that I didn't know that a bee even wanted to be! The neighbor behind, the fixer upper  across the street, now known as HUMMEL FARM APIARY, explained to me that he had to have a swarm removed from his out building a couple of years prior to the establishment of HUMMEL FARM APIARY. ................................The moral of the story is........swarming is good in places that bees like.  I know "duhhhhhh!"

Offline hummelkurt

• New Bee
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2014, 08:42:38 pm »
2ND SWARM CAPTURE OF 2014.. VERY SMALL FROM MY COUPLE OF PEEKS INSIDE DUE TO COLD SNAP. I WILL WAIT FOR SOME BETTER WEATHER TO TRANSFER TO A TEN FRAME BOX, HO HURRY. SECRET SAUCE WORKING GOOOOOOD. LUCKY ME :mrgreen:

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2014, 07:48:03 am »
I just caught my first swarm, for this year, it is huge, in a swarm trap. See "I just checked on my swarm trap".
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2014, 01:16:15 am »
Here is a picture of a swarm trap I made from 12x11 pressed fiber pots.
I've got to take time to check on my swarm traps, I put one out every time I catch a swarm.
Catching swarms and trapping them I have 22 so far this spring.
I have 9 trap-outs going and got 8 more to set up.
whew! I'm suppose to be retired, but folks think I'm a retar'd.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2014, 02:06:13 pm »
Consider it a gift if he doesn't do his job and they swarm. 

As for comb, big hair clips can grip comb and you can use wire ties to fasten the hair clips to a top bar, whether a frame or for a TBH.  the bees will repair and fasten the comb to the bar.  Then you go in and cut out the hair clip for reuse.  Never had any luck with rubber bands.  They cut into the comb too much.

Good luck with YOUR bees!

Gary
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

anything