Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My first KTBH  (Read 2902 times)

BaB

My first KTBH
« on: December 06, 2010, 09:00:04 am »
This is my Kenyan Top Bar Bee Hive, I made it using 1 inch thick Eastern Red Aromatic Cedar, It is supposed to be close to a natural hive making the bees think they are working inside a hollow tree. The top, the window ( so we can spy on them) and bottom are hinged with a brass piano hinge. I sealed the top with 6 inch wide Copper eave material, I put a weathervane on top so the bees know which way the wind is blowing when they come in for a landing. I used a wood burner and burned a picture of a bee then painted it so the bees would know where their home is. I was going to burn an address on it but my wife Rene said they can't read that's why I went with the picture.
From the ground to the top bar it is 38 inches which is a little tall but I am over 6 feet tall and this way I will not have to bend over to much to pull the Honey bars, I added a step between the legs so Rene being 5 feet tall can get up and help me with all the things that need to be done. It is a full 48 inches long with 30 Bars and two follower boards.
I insulated the roof with 1 inch foam board for the winter months and months and months we have here in Indiana.
All the frame and legs are milled lumber to a full 2 inch by 3 inch material, the body of the hive is full 1 inch material, I split 1x6 boards and milled them to 3/8 inch boards for the roof.
All the hardware is stainless steel.
This is the only way I can figure out how to do it, hope it works for everyone and PLEASE send comments, what needs to bee changed or added good and bad welcome.

http://s1090.photobucket.com/albums/i373/MRTMEA/

Member:
Indiana BeeKeepers Association
Indiana State BeeKeepers Association
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 09:05:35 am by eivindm »

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
Re: My first KTBH
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 09:11:46 am »
Very nice! Looks like you put alot of work into it!

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 10:03:46 am »
That's not a beehive, it's a work of art!! :-D

Offline Eric-WD

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 12:15:45 pm »
wow, :shock: that looks like a blanket chest designed to look like a KTBH.  I was thinking of somthing similar out of fir.  That is very nice workmanship.

Eric

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 02:06:53 pm »
Looks good!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 02:20:53 pm by wd »

BaB

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2010, 08:41:54 am »
Thanks everyone, now if I can just get the Bees to like it next spring. I'm retired and do woodworking as a hobby to stay out from under the wifes feet and to keep my hands busy.
Going to start another one today, it will not be the same as this one, I always try to make a few changes to anything I build.
Heres some of my woodworking I do to stay out of trouble, oops, forgot I can't post it but if anyone wants to see it email me and I'll send.
I'm also working on a way to feed my Bees in a KTBH, I have only seen one neat way of doing it by Daves Bees.
Thanks Again