Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: First Swarm of 2010  (Read 1970 times)

Offline BEEMAN

• House Bee
First Swarm of 2010
« on: March 24, 2010, 06:34:34 pm »
Yesterday I walked out in the yard and spotted a swarm on a small citrus tree that I had planted two years ago. The swarm was only about 18 inches off the ground so I placed a deep under them and they all crawled into the box. Can't get any easier than that for free bees.
I do not believe that they are from my hives as they are very dark bees with deep black stripes. They were very tame and I did not need any protective gear to hive them. I had them hived in no time at all. It was cool, windy, and overcast. It's about time I get my first swarm for the year 2010. Keep them coming!! :-D

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: First Swarm of 2010
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 12:01:58 am »
Congratulations on your first capture of 2010! The bees were right under three weeks behind schedule in my area.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline BEEMAN

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 11:51:32 pm »
JP The swarms calls started March 1 last year and the end of March this year. I guess that the cold weather had a lot to do with the
late swarming. But I am glad that they have started and that I am getting swarm calls.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 02:26:52 am »
Last year my first swarm caught was Feb 27, but I did a removal last year I believe swarmed in mid February.

Year before was March 1st.

This year March 19th.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 09:16:18 am »
I am still patiently waiting for the first swarm call, I think it will be in a couiple of weeks. Have not seen any drones flying yet, but have capped drone cells.

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline Jahjude

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 10:12:27 am »
I've only gotten one swarm to gimme a start this year but they didnt spend 3 days-patiently awaiting another.
I've chosen understanding over knowledge-since knowledge is all about knowing where to find facts and understanding is knowing how to manipulate knowledge...I've also chosen knowledge over beliefs!! We all need to..

anything