Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: ok, that was a rush..  (Read 6810 times)

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
ok, that was a rush..
« on: July 06, 2008, 06:25:21 pm »
So, I have seen videos of JP, Robo, and others working their hives without smoke, veil, and or other protection. I have really calm hives and have enjoyed sting free, and fear free visits to them all year. Granted our year is just getting started with the late winter and being high elevation. But anyway, I figured that my bees were pretty good and decided to give it a try. Mostly just because I wanted to check this one hive but did not have my gear with me. Wow,, I have to admit that got my blood pumping a little. No smoke, no veil, just shorts and a short sleeve shirt. It went great. I only pulled two frames and saw what I needed to, but it was an adventure. Just a quick little visit and I was out of there. One gal followed me for a while and got obnoxious. I finally had to swat her away. But for the most part it was great. I would love to be able to do that all the time. I know that fate would catch up pretty quick though.
It was nice to feel a lot closer and be able to see with out squinting through the veil.
Try it, you'll like :evil:
F
Don't be yourself, "Be the man you would want your daughters to marry!!"

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
Re: ok, that was a rush..
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 08:43:58 pm »
If I don't use smoke, I wear a veil...the bees like my face too much, and I have long hair, so they bump that and get tangled in...I don't like smacking my head hoping to kill the tangled bee before she can find my scalp.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 09:42:17 pm »
You may have seen me sans the veil but not the smoker!!

Like the saying goes, what I smoke's got a sting to it!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 10:18:38 pm »
JP, I am putting that on a t-shirt. What is your size?? Its that original? or did you pilpher that from someone else. That is great!!! "What I smoke has got a sting to it!" I love it.
F
Don't be yourself, "Be the man you would want your daughters to marry!!"

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 10:33:49 pm »
JP, I am putting that on a t-shirt. What is your size?? Its that original? or did you pilpher that from someone else. That is great!!! "What I smoke has got a sting to it!" I love it.
F

A couple of people on beesource use the saying.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 11:04:02 pm »
 Small swarm I got off a tree limb about a month ago, I was only wearing shorts, tee shirt, shoes and a hat. Sprayed em with sugar syrup and shook em into a 5 gal bucket and slapped a piece of cardboard over it. Bees all around me, I didn't get stung, the guy I got to hold the ladder 15' below me did. Later he told me he was swatting at them. Now I keep an extra veil in my truck.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 11:16:39 pm »
I have to get to the point where they do not try to sting my gloves before I could even contemplate such an activity.  I am so new at this that I fully suit up every time I open a hive.  Overkill, I am sure, but until my confidence grows, I think safe is better than sorry.
Brian

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 11:37:39 pm »
the time of year has a lot to do with how defensive the bees are. when theres a big time flow going on they don't have time to bother stinging you. wait until they're hanging out with nothing to do.

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
  • Little honey bee in flight
    • Photo Album
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 12:05:25 am »
I haven't used a veil or any thing, ever really except for two times. Today, and I got stung when I wasn't near the hive! Just my luck.
"I have never wished to cater to the crowd, for what I know they do not approve, and what they approve I do not know." - Epicurus.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 01:13:00 am »
I have to get to the point where they do not try to sting my gloves before I could even contemplate such an activity.  I am so new at this that I fully suit up every time I open a hive.  Overkill, I am sure, but until my confidence grows, I think safe is better than sorry.

Don't feel bad. This is my third year with the bees and I am all suited up. I am just not that courageous

Offline klesage121

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 03:15:18 am »
I sit by the front door and just watch. I open them up you'd better believe i'm gloved veiled and suited up for battle and yeah got my smoke gun beside me.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2008, 10:38:47 am »
the guy I got to hold the ladder 15' below me did. Later he told me he was swatting at them

When shaking swarms, the guy on the bottom really should be suited up...that is the dangerous spot...all them crawling bees gonna find themselves in some uncomfortable dark spot like up a sleeve or under a collar. :shock: :-D

After 5 years or so I'm just getting comfortable to get into some of the hives w/o being fully suited up.  white t-shirt and a veil (and pants of course!), trust smoker at my side.   It is a relief in the hot summer!

The few times that I've tried opening the hive without any smoke they let me know they don't like it at all.

-rick
Rick

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2008, 10:50:38 am »
I do quick looks to check food, & have lifted off the top super that has the baggie in it to check for drawn frames NP.  Earlier in the season I would take out frames of bees but they are a little grouchier now.  I don't usually wear gloves for quick peeks.  For deeper investigations I do wear my veil suit & nitrile garden gloves, mostly to keep "stuff" off my hands!  Haven't mastered the smoker yet so start w/it, but it goes out by the time I get to the 2nd hive :roll:  I don't know how fast they draw during a flow, blackberries are starting & should go on the rest of the month.  Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2008, 11:46:27 am »
Well, well, well!!!  Those that work a hive without head protection, well, hee, hee, I take my hat off to you.  When I work my bees (except, yea, if just a quick put-in-the-sugar syrup baggie when feeding or something really short like that), I never, ever go without a veil.

When I have my veil on, I feel like SUPERWOMAN.  I can do anything!!!  I can't fly though.  When I have my veil on, I feel 100% protected. If I get a sting on my body, oh well, carry on.  But if I get a sting to my face, and trust me, been there done that....it takes my confidence away.  Not going there.  I never ever wear gloves, not even my nitrile gloves, too clumbsy, too sweaty.  I can be out there with only my tank top and jeans.  Oh yes, I always wear jeans too, not matter how hot it is.  I would never wear shorts, the thought of a bee climbing inside my shorts makes me shudder.  With my veil and jeans I am safe and sound from very vulnerable spots, hee, hee.

When we took our bee courses, no one wore a veil, in retrospect, crazy stuff in my mind's eye, but then I wasn't deeply hands in while taking the courses either.

If my head is protected, I can do anything with the bees, with no worries.  I can even work them without smoke, but my preference is to have my burlap filled smoker going at all times too.  Last week a bee got under my armpit when I was looking at a frame.  I didn't notice it until I put down the frame, yep, that hot, burning sensation.  Took a minute to get out the stinger though, thank goodness I don't have hairy armpits, hee, hee.  Beautiful day in this wonderful and great life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2008, 11:58:04 am »
Well, well, well!!!  Those that work a hive without head protection, well, hee, hee, I take my hat off to you.  When I work my bees (except, yea, if just a quick put-in-the-sugar syrup baggie when feeding or something really short like that), I never, ever go without a veil.

When I have my veil on, I feel like SUPERWOMAN.  I can do anything!!!  I can't fly though.  When I have my veil on, I feel 100% protected. If I get a sting on my body, oh well, carry on.  But if I get a sting to my face, and trust me, been there done that....it takes my confidence away.  Not going there.  I never ever wear gloves, not even my nitrile gloves, too clumbsy, too sweaty.  I can be out there with only my tank top and jeans.  Oh yes, I always wear jeans too, not matter how hot it is.  I would never wear shorts, the thought of a bee climbing inside my shorts makes me shudder.  With my veil and jeans I am safe and sound from very vulnerable spots, hee, hee.

When we took our bee courses, no one wore a veil, in retrospect, crazy stuff in my mind's eye, but then I wasn't deeply hands in while taking the courses either.

If my head is protected, I can do anything with the bees, with no worries.  I can even work them without smoke, but my preference is to have my burlap filled smoker going at all times too.  Last week a bee got under my armpit when I was looking at a frame.  I didn't notice it until I put down the frame, yep, that hot, burning sensation.  Took a minute to get out the stinger though, thank goodness I don't have hairy armpits, hee, hee.  Beautiful day in this wonderful and great life.  Cindi

I don't have hairy armpits either!!! Hahaha

I remember one day being in a hurry, fooling with a swarm, and another colony at the same time that had a feed bag on. Decided to pull the baggie without smoking and feed it to the swarm, pulled the top off and bang, instant stings to the face.

It really doesn't matter how long you're gonna be in the hive its about what happens when you remove the cover, and you can't count on them to greet you in a friendly manner, every time.

...JP

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2008, 12:13:08 pm »
You know when I received that bee sting under my eye a couple of weeks ago, I noticed that my confidence went down. I never, ever even visit them and watch them anymore without at least a veil.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2008, 12:56:12 pm »
You'll get over it.  Try watching from further away without the veil and then gradually get closer.  When you get to head butting range back up a step.  Going past head butting range makes the bees more protective.  The bees will let you know how close you can get.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2008, 01:05:26 pm »
You'll get over it.  Try watching from further away without the veil and then gradually get closer.  When you get to head butting range back up a step.  Going past head butting range makes the bees more protective.  The bees will let you know how close you can get.

I hear what you're saying Brian but this one day I had this one lonesome gal just buzzing around my head, making a few circles, just checking me out, I really thought it wanted to drink a drop of sweat, like countless others have done and acted in this same manner, then she decided that it would be more fun to sting me!!

I just didn't expect her to do that, well, you know, you never know sometimes with bees.

...JP

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2008, 10:57:54 am »
JP, do you pluck your armpits?  Just curious, hee, hee.

When I am doing stuff around the apiary, I don't wear a veil.  When I am pulling the grass out from around the colonies to keep the area dry and clear of long grass, I wear a veil.  When I mow in the apiary, I wear a veil.  When I work the colonies I wear a veil.  When I am weeding and working the flowers around the apiary I don't wear a veil.  So.  I think that the only time a veil is used is when I am within I would say 1 foot of the hives, otherwise, veil-less.  Ooops, has Frantz thread been hijacked, sorry if that happened, my fault, hee, hee.  Beautiful day in this incredibly beautiful life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2008, 11:21:44 am »
JP, do you pluck your armpits?  Just curious, hee, hee.

Cindi, thats why he took your snips!!  :evil:   Sat & watched last night for a long time.  A little slug was going into the hive from the bottom..the guard bees would rush out & smack it with their front feet then retreat into the hive further.  I was hoping to see one sting it but no luck :-x .  I did find a bunch all shriveled up when taking the hive apart after my starving escapade.  I hate slugs! They do seem to eat the dead bees around the hive though & have seen em on dog poo..,maybe they have a use after all :? I don't wear a veil when just watching from a couple of feet away. If I get head butts I move a little further away. The green girls seem to be more defensive, always have.  One came out after me last night & they had a whole gang guarding the entrance.  Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard