Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New Foster Dog  (Read 2841 times)

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
New Foster Dog
« on: September 15, 2007, 09:03:03 pm »
Her name is Sandy. She's as sweet as she looks. :)

"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: New Foster Dog
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2007, 09:55:43 pm »
We love our dogs as well. We have 3 small inside dogs ( getting old now) and two outside dogs that adopted us. They all give unconditional  love. She looks sweet, did you rescue her?

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 12:09:58 am »
Moonshae, Sandy looks like a beauty, I am glad that she is happy and is as sweet as she looks.  I love dogs, there is nothing on this earth like the love of a dog.  We are lucky people to have these beings in our lives.  You say, foster dog.  Please tell us your story of Sandy.  I would love to hear it, I am sure it will make my day even more happier than it already is.  Have a wonderful life, give Sandy a great big pat for me.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 10:08:48 pm »
 I have a friend who adopted a greyhound, she unfortunately passed right before the hurricane(Katrina), he had her for 3-4yrs. She was sweet and very smart. My cousin Cory has two greyhounds, again smart and very sweet. We have two rat terriers and a chow. We do love our doggies.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 08:39:36 am »
All pet greyhounds are rescues. When they stop making money at the track, if they aren't rescued by a group, they are killed (for more racing info, check out http://www.grey2kusa.org/racing/index.html). The group for whom I foster puts the dogs in foster homes to acclimate them to living in a house (housebreaking, teaching them how to climb stairs, that they can't walk through screens/glass doors, etc.) until an adoptive family is lined up.

Sandy specifically was returned to the group by her adoptive family, because she has some separation anxiety issues. They were unwilling to keep her in a crate, and so she destroyed things in the room in which they kept her confined during the day. I've found her to be sweet and loving, and definitely not liking to be left alone, but she behaves just fine when she is managed properly.

A note on crates...they are not punishment or cruel...greyhounds spend most of their lives in a crate until they get adopted, and generally they feel secure in them. it's like a little den that protects them while they sleep (20-22 hours a day, believe it or not). The crate also serves the purpose of keeping the dog out of trouble in the house when no one is home. In fact, when a dog is brought in right off the track, house living can be overwhelming, so they are kept in their crate at home for most of the day and night, and introduced to life in a house in short, lengthening periods. This minimizes their stress from the new situation and allows them to begin to enjoy life.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 10:24:01 am »
Moonshae.  My hat off to you and all others that take and rescue dogs!!!!  Yeah!!!!  I love to hear the stories about these animal rescues and the wonderful humans that bring light and happiness into their, what could have been, horrible life, or their death.

I always thought it was rather mean to have dogs sleep in a crate, kennel, or whatever.....until.....my sister taught me some lessons of that sort.  She had several dogs that loved to sleep in their little kennels in the house.  This did save her house from unknown damage beyond what damage can be, some dogs are destructors.

If you watch dogs, (I mean only from my own experience watching all my dogs), they really like to sleep in a "cave".  When I say cave I mean that they like to sleep under the table, under the coffee table, in a corner, anywhere where they can feel like they are not vulnerable.  Many times they sleep out in the open too, but they really like to feel protected.  When my daughter's little pittie sleeps on our couch (yes, they can sleep on the couch), I have a very nice "rug" made out of beautiful fabric that I made so the leather is somewhat (and I mean somewhat) protected.  She likes to sleep with their back facing outwards, all curled up in a ball.  I believe that she feels this protects her, her vulnerable stomach is protected from all the evils in the world (right, only kidding).  But ths is how she sleeps.  She even sleeps on the floor on her stomach with her nose inbetween her two front paws, figure that one.  I don't know why she doesn't suffocate  :)  Have a wonderful day, beauty of a life that we live.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service