Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Apiary on May 24, last  (Read 2417 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Apiary on May 24, last
« on: June 07, 2007, 11:47:02 pm »
This picture was taken on May 24, last.  This is looking from my backyard to the west, it gets full sun from sunup until about 5:00 PM, perfect for the bees waking up and cooling off in the evening.  The plants that you see in the bottom left are the teasel that I put a post in about.  They were much shorter then, they have grown leaps and bounds since the weather has warmed up.  The hose you see runs down the hill to the little ditch that I made across my property for drainage.  This hose trickles down the bank and the bees love to come and drink the water off the edge of the bank.  I am hoping that they will stay away from our pool.  So many bee stings, but the kids are all brave and have learned how to get the stinger out and simply, get on with life.  We live around bees  :evil:.  Have a wonderful day, great life, greatest of health.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Shizzell

• House Bee
Re: Apiary on May 24, last
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 01:27:23 am »
Nice little setup you got there Cindi. No 2nd brood chambers or supers yet?

Jake

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 09:33:00 am »
Jake, thank you for the kind words.  It has been raining since Monday, so I have not been able to put the seconds on yet.  Today it looks like the skies have cleared and I will be adding boxes to all of them except a couple.  The nuc that I made does not need a box and a nuc that had some pretty bad chalkbrood issues is not ready yet either. 

One of the nucs I got from the bee breeder had (I would venture to guess), almost all of the brood from the former queen where he got the frames of brood from had chalkbrood issues.  The new Kona Italian queen that he made the nuc with should not have this issue, so it has not built up as quickly.

That is my agenda today.  I have lots and lots of frames of drawn/partially drawn comb to give them all, so that will give them a great lending hand.  Have a great life, beautiful day, and love the life we're livin'.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 12:37:37 am »
Cindi,

That looks great. Things seem to be doing well for you.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 09:41:16 pm »
Cindy,

Do I see electric strands around your fence?

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 01:55:12 am »
Steve.  Absolutely!!!!  We live in bear country.  We know how much Winnie the Pooh loved his honey eh?  We actually live on a bear path.  We border a dark deep ravine with bush on both sides, murky, dark, perfect place for bears to traverse from different parts of our area to other parts.

The other night our neighbour saw the mamma bear and last years cub with her.  She got really scared and started yelling at these two lovelies.  They just looked at her.  Then her dog started to really get going on barking and these bears started running, they ran along her fence to the end of her property and then came back up the fence on my side.  I don't know where we were or all 6 of our dogs, but we didn't even know it happened.  Mind you, it was about 10:00 PM and all were in our homes.

The neighbour told my sister the next morning (yesterday morning) this mamma and yearling (???) were in her driveway.  She had to go out and they plain and simply would not move one inch to get out of her way.  Go figure.  I guess with lots of horn honking and her yelling at them through the window, they decided to mosey somewhere else to bug others. 

This is the only time of year when we must really be careful about the bears.  This month of June, it must be when they are bearing young and are out to get good foody goody.  All the children have been told for the time being that they are not allowed to play in the ravine, which they love to do, and then not out the back property.  It is hard for them to comprehend that bears are mean, especially when they have a cub at their side.

Last summer a friend neighbour that lives about 1/2 km to the west of my property, who keeps one colony had a nasty old bear come and wreck her only hive.  Was she annoyed (and sad).  She moved her beehive, when she had reassembled. it to her girlfriends,  because she was worried about the return of the bear.  It did not damage much, just dumped the two story colony over.

I had had bees now for two years, I have not had any problem yet.  This fence is tall, and had very good electric fencing that packs a whollop.  My husband can attest to that, I can attest to that, three of our dogs (couple of them can tell ya twice) can attest to it.  It really actually hurts when you get the electricity getting ya.

My poor husband.  One day he was going to throw a tool or something out of the bee pen.  When he bent over to pick it up.....eeeeeks!!!!!  He has a shaved head and man did he get a whack.  He said it almost knocked him on his arse!!!  I still can't help giving a little chuckle when I think of it.  I know how much it hurts when my arm touches it.  I have had that experience three times now.  Oh brother.  Oh well, don't they say you are to live and learn.  It must not be in my cards.  Have a wonderful day, beautiful life, and isn't nice the forum has finished with the crashy thing.  Cindi

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 08:10:59 am »
"crashy thing"...........I love your computer lingo!       

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

anything