Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wild Hogs  (Read 19143 times)

Offline SEEYA

• House Bee
  • Poke a meek dog enough times.........!
Wild Hogs
« on: December 14, 2011, 07:49:58 pm »
Where are you hardwood? Don't leave me hanging, how do you trap feral pigs? I am thinking some sort of a live trap, constructed????:idunno: Visions of honey BBQ spare ribs or honey glazed ham won't let this thought die. :-P
Live long and prosper!

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: Wild Hogs
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 09:08:43 pm »
I posted a pic on here last year of one of my traps....let me see if I can find it again.

http://i871.photobucket.com/albums/ab277/hardwood01/pigtrap001.jpg

We've been curing our own hams and bacon with great results and the sausage is to die for!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline SEEYA

• House Bee
  • Poke a meek dog enough times.........!
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 11:47:23 pm »
Thanks hardwood, I work in a fabrication shop and I think I see porkchops in my future

Thanks AllenF - Maybe one of these days, I'll think to Google something before I hollar for help.
Live long and prosper!

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 07:28:15 pm »
It never hurts to ask, that is what forums are for.   And you can get many different ideas.

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 06:24:55 pm »
But, the trapping of wild hogs in GA is a no-no. :)don 2

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 07:23:01 pm »
But, the trapping of wild hogs in GA is a no-no. :)don 2

Are you sure about this? Wild hog are considered property of the land owner and considered a nuance. I think they can be can be taken by almost any means including trapping with bait, hunting over bait, with dogs, and they may even be hunted at night with a light.

Steve 
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 07:41:52 pm »
You can take hogs on your property by any means other than dynamite. Quote from a game warden once.   They are considered an domestic animal not wildlife.   

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 07:51:49 pm »
Wild hog are considered property of the land owner and considered a nuance.

Poetic way of talking about a pig

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 07:58:54 pm »
Do you have wild hogs down under?

Offline don2

• Doak
  • Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 08:02:57 pm »
Right. on your own property. But not to transport. :)don2

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 08:04:50 pm »
Not until they get their shots.   One way or another.

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 08:15:01 pm »
Do you have wild hogs down under?

UP here, yes, we do. 

Offline kingbee

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 07:29:52 pm »
You can take hogs on your property by any means other than dynamite...

I think you can use dynamite if you can get a blasting permit.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 10:30:45 pm »
But why would you want to get the government involved with permits?

Offline Lone

• Queen Bee
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2012, 10:38:40 pm »
Here is some information about pigging here. http://www.environment.gov.au/biodiversity/invasive/publications/pubs/cop-feral-pigs.pdf
They are a feral animal not domestic here.  But interestingly, pig dogs are not even mentioned in that document and yet you hardly hear about pigging without dogs.  http://apdha.org.au/index.php?page=code-of-conduct

Lone

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2012, 01:43:49 am »

And what kind of shots would you give these hogs, 30-06,300 mag., 7.62 x 39 or what.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2012, 01:49:53 am »
I just mowed one of my bee yards today (about 2 acres) and the pig "ruts" were so bad I couldn't mow about 1/2ac of it. I'm going to set a trap or two out there for sure!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2012, 04:57:42 pm »
BBQ time!  :) :)
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline kingbee

• Queen Bee
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2012, 06:04:21 am »
... And what kind of shots would you give these hogs, 30-06,300 mag., 7.62 x 39 or what...

I have heard of folks in Hawaii using dogs to bay the beast and the hunter then rushing in with either a short spear or else a long machete.

One time about 30 years ago I helped a friend of mine "unload" a CSA Horse pistol he purchased or inherited (I forget which) from an old timer in Arkansas.  It required several #11 caps on most of the nipples but we got her discharged (unloaded that is). My friend told me the old man said that he carried his grand dad's Confiderate pistol to harvest the wild hogs that his dogs bayed.

The last will and testament of one of my maternal Great Grand fathers listed 34 head of ear notched or ear marked hogs running loose in the woods.

Even the Disney flick "Old Yellow" had a hog hunting or pig ear marking segment.