Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Warning about malicious online behavior  (Read 5954 times)

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
Warning about malicious online behavior
« on: April 11, 2011, 08:19:37 pm »
Has anybody else gotten this screen warning while trying to log into Bee Master?  This looks bogus to me due to a lot of reasons, but maybe somebody at Bee Master knows otherwise.  I say it looks bogus because:

How many legitimate computer warnings are in English AND Spanish?
They can’t spell.  Dynamic IP is spelled “Dinamic IP”.
The IP they’re claiming is my IP is NOT my IP.
How many legitimate warning notices give you contact info using [at] and [dot]?

What’s going on?

BTW…I have Norton installed on this computer and it’s unlikely I have a virus.

Here’s the screen shots of what came up when I tried to get to the site.

You can see a bigger photo on my photobucket page:
http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j365/MichiganBee/Computer%20Stuff/beemastermallciouspart1.jpg

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: Warning about malicious online behavior
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 08:45:08 pm »
you may have an IP close in range to some of the spam bots that get dealt with on occasion.

When did this first start happening for you?

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 09:07:19 pm »
It just happened today.  We did have a voltage dip from the power company yesterday and that could have reset the router and gave me a new IP.  What the warning says sounds like it COULD be legit, but the warning looks way too unprofesional to me to come from a legitimate computer professional.  That's why I was posting this.  I'll let you know if I see more instances.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 09:48:59 pm »
After I posted this I decided to open Norton to do a new manual virus scan out of prudence.  However Norton wouldn’t come up!  Something had kicked Norton off.  I have never seen that before.  I immediately rebooted the computer, Norton came up, and I was able to get into BeeMaster without this warning screen.  Hence maybe I did have something in my computer….  

Its weird though; this warning ONLY showed up when trying to access beemaster.  Other sites worked fine.  I’m clueless.

If anybody else get this, it might be wise to make sure your antivirus is working and then change your passwords.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 12:25:02 am »
I get it all the time.  Our internet provider causes all kinds of IP changes and IP collisions and I imagine that's the cause of the warning.  I'm not doing anything malicious...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline wd

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 05:18:29 am »
How many legitimate computer warnings are in English AND Spanish?
They can’t spell.  Dynamic IP is spelled “Dinamic IP”.
The IP they’re claiming is my IP is NOT my IP.
How many legitimate warning notices give you contact info using [at] and [dot]?

some use typos intentionally, at and dot because harvest bots are less likely if at all to pick it up

I've never "knock on formica" seen this message. what triggered it is the question?

www.aboutus.org/ProjectHoneyPot.org#-

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 10:52:07 am »
we got it when we accessed the site from the airport.  figured it was the IP address setting it off.....
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 02:01:00 pm »
You all made some good points.  It sounds like the warning screen may be legit after all.  That’s good info to know for others who might eventually get the warning screen.  When it first popped up out of the blue, I naturally figured it was a virus because the ‘look and feel’ was so much different than the beemaster site.  However maybe that is a standard warning screen the server that hosts the beemaster website displays in the event that it thinks it is being attacked.  That would account for the different’ look and feel ‘and the English and Spanish text.

I’m just glad to know I’m not alone in getting this warning screen!

I haven’t had the screen come up again.  We did have a power hit before the screen came up and I am using a router with dynamic IP so it’s conceivable that the IP the router picked was one that the beemaster server did not like.

Thanks for all your replies.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 05:36:13 pm »
I get it all the time.  Our internet provider causes all kinds of IP changes and IP collisions and I imagine that's the cause of the warning.  I'm not doing anything malicious...

LOL!! Michael you sure you aren't doing anything malicious :shock: :shock: :shock:

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 07:29:35 am »
I started getting it last night. The wind here really picked up to 30+mph about the same time. I ran a full virus scan and nothing came up.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 08:54:35 am »
>LOL!! Michael you sure you aren't doing anything malicious

I won't say I'm never "naughty", but I am NEVER  "malicious"...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline CritterMike

• Brood
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 12:46:07 pm »
It looks like a legitimate error screen. Certainly, an admin from the beemaster site could confirm the existence of the page. Another thing that makes it look real, is the IP address it is reporting in error message. It belongs to a router that appears to belong to Invisalink.net. ISPs are constantly being barraged by people trying to hack into them, so it's possible that the router was compromised in some way.

That said, it's good that you stopped at that point and questioned the validity of the page. Many people just click through pages that appear to be legitimate, giving away personal information along the way, and end up having their identities compromised or stolen.

Also, keep your browser and antivirus\spyware current. There are anti-phishing and anti-malware tools built into them that you can use to help validate a web page.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 04:17:37 am »
It’s back…  All my talk of heating bees must be considered malicious  :)

I hadn’t seen the warning message for 11 days, but got it again tonight.

I’m going to agree with CritterMike and the rest of you, this appears to be a valid error screen from the beemaster server.  I do have Norton running for virus protection and he reports nothing wrong.  It seems after you answer the two math question on the warning page, they take you off the malicious list at least for a while and you may not get the warning page again for a while.   Just FYI for you all.