Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Old Agricutural Books  (Read 2617 times)

Offline tshnc01

• House Bee
    • Soil to Sustenance
Old Agricutural Books
« on: October 19, 2009, 08:30:16 pm »
For those of you that are interested in farming/growing things, there is website I recommend with LOTS of scanned books written over the past 100+ years.  Authors include William A. Albrecht, Lady Eve Balfour, Edward Faulkner, Sir Albert Howard, and many others....

http://www.soilandhealth.org/01aglibrary/01aglibwelcome.html

It is amazing (to me) that these folks were so ahead of the curve, and we are just now rediscovering the links between soil fertility and health.

...Tim

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Old Agricutural Books
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 11:33:00 am »
Tim, cool.  Yes in those "olden" days, this is what fed the families, they knew what needed to go into their food to make their food go into them with great results.  The tried and true heirloom vegetables, ones that the farmer could gather seeds from, and not have that vegetable offspring resemble just one of the parents that went into making that seed, like all the F1 and F2 and so on hybrid seeds.  Everyone should get back to "heirloom" seed grown plants, I know that I surely will be when the day comes that again I plant my food gardens.  Beautiful days, to love and live, great health. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 12:29:24 pm »
I have several books on Feeds and Feeding dating back to the 30's and 40's.  Whats interesting to me is that things that are considered trendy, new ideas now were common practice then.

Offline tshnc01

• House Bee
    • Soil to Sustenance
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 03:17:56 pm »
Whats interesting to me is that things that are considered trendy, new ideas now were common practice then.

Exactly.  I have that reaction over-and-over again.  Clearly they weren't doing everything right, but it seems like we should try and distill the best ideas from before, instead of reinventing new solutions every few years.

Here is another good link for more books online:

http://journeytoforever.org/farm_library.html

anything