Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Chickens -- weepy, bubbley eyes  (Read 10132 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Chickens -- weepy, bubbley eyes
« on: November 18, 2007, 02:45:41 pm »
OK, so I think I may have an issue with some of the new chickens that we got about a month ago.  They are separate from our other chickens that we have, which we have had for some time.

I am seeing chickens with kind of weepy, describing further, kind of bubbley looking weepy eyes, and the eyelids slightly closed.  I saw a little bit of this a few days ago, and it seems that more are getting this way.

My Sister is putting this information on that chicken site that Ann gave to us, she will ask this question on there too.

Do any of my forum friends that keep chickens seen this?  I don't know if it needs further clarification, but this is the best that I can describe what we are seeing.  The chickens all seem healthy, they have been fed well with organic food, it is just this eye thing issue.

Tell me what you can, if you can.  Have a wonderful and beautiful day, best of these health wishes to us all. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline mark

• House Bee
Re: Chickens -- weepy, bubbley eyes
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 06:00:07 pm »
could be chronic respiratory disease (coughing,gurgling,swollen face, frothy eyes, sometimes yellowish droppings),        infectious coryza (watery eyes,swollen face,foul smelling nasal discharge, sometimes diarrhea),        infectious laryngotracheitis(watery inflamed eyes,swollen sinuses, nasal discharge).   

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 07:28:54 pm »
Cindi, I found her post - you'll get plenty of help on this one.  I know one thing that's important - you need to keep the two groups separate, even to the point that you don't wear the same shoes from one pen to another, until you figure out what's wrong with those babies.  It may be highly contagious  :shock:

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 07:56:27 pm »
Scaley Feet, deformed legs, weeping eyes.

I think I will have a steak instead.

;)
Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 09:51:15 pm »
Hey Cindi !
 When my pigeons get looking funny I always put terramycin in their water and it fixes them up. I think the downside of terramycin is that you dont want to eat the eggs or bird for awhile.
your friend,
john

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2007, 12:25:14 am »
Scaley Feet, deformed legs, weeping eyes.

I think I will have a steak instead.

;)
Sincerely,
Brendhan

Or a vegetable (I am a vegetarian)!!!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 09:57:42 am »
could be chronic respiratory disease (coughing,gurgling,swollen face, frothy eyes, sometimes yellowish droppings),        infectious coryza (watery eyes,swollen face,foul smelling nasal discharge, sometimes diarrhea),        infectious laryngotracheitis(watery inflamed eyes,swollen sinuses, nasal discharge).   

Mark, what you are describing somewhat typifies what is going on here, but only the symptom of the "frothy eyes".  Haven't noticed yellowish droppings and the other symptoms.  Not to say that these symptoms may arise.  I am keeping close watch on these hens.

Ann, I don't know what you meant about finding her post.  Please elaborate.

The chickens are 100% completely separate.  We will not wear the same shoes going from area to area.  That is number one key of not passing diseases.  I am investigating further, as is my Sister.

My Sister joined that chicken forum that you spoke about Ann and has presented this question there too.  I imagine she will have some answers as well by this morning.  I gave it to her about a week ago so she could become a member, to keep on top of all chicken stuff, she follows through with my advice always.  She is diligent, as am I.  We do not want, nor will we tolerate any illness with the birds, so we have work to do.

John, terramycin, yes, good antibiotic, but I really would like to stay away from drugs, if possible.  If not possible, then I will certainly administer antibiotics, I have no issue with that, if it is really required.

When we first obtained these chickens, we fed them colloidal silver water with their drinking water.  This would eliminate any internal bacteria.  We may also today be in the process of giving colloidal silver water to their eyes to kill any bacteria therein.  It will not hurt, if anything.  Natural.

Yes, I know, scaley feet, deformed legs, weeping eyes, Brendan and Annette.  Does sound kind of gross eh?  What more can I say.

We are off to an adventure, life is all a learning curve, and let me tell ya, I am learning, day and night, hee, hee, have a wonderful and great day with the best of health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 03:20:30 am »
For scaly legs use Vicks as it is mite related. For Foamy eyes well you can use tylan 50 2cc per 10cc of steril water and flush out the eyes 2x a day. Same thing for sinus infections in the nose. For an all natural wormer and mite and lice use food grade Diatomaceous Earth. They are the diatom spiny old sea creatures. put it in the bottom of nest boxes and in there dust bath holes and dust them with it. You can also feed it to them at a rate of 2%  of there feed. It is hard to find and I have found a source and sale it though my groups and ovabid and ebay. But it works wonders. You however can not allow the bees to have access to it. As it will kill them. You can sprinkle around water holes to kill off the fly larve. Do not use POOL grade as it has been treated with heat and chemicles.

Angi

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 09:31:59 am »
For scaly legs use Vicks as it is mite related. For Foamy eyes well you can use tylan 50 2cc per 10cc of steril water and flush out the eyes 2x a day. Same thing for sinus infections in the nose. For an all natural wormer and mite and lice use food grade Diatomaceous Earth. They are the diatom spiny old sea creatures. put it in the bottom of nest boxes and in there dust bath holes and dust them with it. You can also feed it to them at a rate of 2%  of there feed. It is hard to find and I have found a source and sale it though my groups and ovabid and ebay. But it works wonders. You however can not allow the bees to have access to it. As it will kill them. You can sprinkle around water holes to kill off the fly larve. Do not use POOL grade as it has been treated with heat and chemicles.

Angi
Angi, thank you for the information, I make note of things and keep them for future references.  You have some good ideas here.  I think we are over the brunt of this illness, we have lost 6 chickens and the rest are looking mighty fine now.  This morning will tell the last tale, there may be one or two that may not make it, but I kind of doubt it now, they were positive looking yesterday.

I don't know if we can get tylan 50 here in Canada, but I will look into it.  We have Vicks and I will put it on some legs and see how it works.  That is wonderful if it does, time will tell that tale.  Have a wonderful day, great life.  Cindi

anything