Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Trap out assistance needed in Central Florida  (Read 1477 times)

Offline yrots

• New Bee
Trap out assistance needed in Central Florida
« on: November 21, 2012, 05:22:55 pm »
I have discovered that bees have taken up residence in my brick home in Orlando. Due to the nature of the construction a trap-out  rather than a cut-out will be necessary. I actually have all of the woodenware that I built last year but never acquired any bees. Since I have no frames with eggs and brood I have nothing to attract the bees into one of my boxes. I have prepared a wire cone to do the trap-out but would like to purchase from someone some frames of eggs otherwise the trap-out will simply force the bees out.

Dirk
Dirk

Offline marktrl

• House Bee
Re: Trap out assistance needed in Central Florida
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 05:49:38 pm »
I'd love to help you out but I was in my hives today and there is no brood or eggs to pull. You should wait til late January or February when drones start flying or they won't make a queen anyway.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2012, 07:27:06 pm »
I'm sure I could find you a frame of eggs but you'd be making a poor bet at this time of year in regards to the new virgin queen mating well. It's best (as marktrl pointed out) to wait until spring for a trap out. You are aware of our SHB problems here right? A trap out leaves the comb with honey/pollen in the wall and the SHBs usually take over before the bees can rob it back out leaving a runny, stinky mess that can ruin your drywall and carpet. It's better to do a cut out.

I've got lots (over 100)  of videos on you tube of both cut outs and trap outs that may help you. youtube.com/MrBeedude

Hope that helps
Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Bees In Miami

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 07:36:45 pm »
I'm with Mark and hardwood...wrong time of year...there are no drones now for mating a new queen.  (The queen won't leave until there is only a handful of bees left, if she leaves the wall at all).  Is there any chance of doing a cut out from the inside??  You can make barriers with plastic to keep the area confined from the rest of the house.  Just a thought. 

Offline yrots

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 08:51:27 pm »
First off thanks for the quick response and the knowledgeable advice. I would much prefer to do a cut-out and hopefully get the queen and the comb out of the wall but I'm afraid the type of construction may prevent this. My home's walls are not a true brick but rather 7W x 12L x 3 1/2 H hollow block so the comb will be in the single cavity in the centers. I would have to cut the mortar and then cut the face off the "bricks" to access the comb. I guess it could be done but seemed to me a trap-out was a better option. It may be that I'll have to wait until Spring unless I figure out if the cut-out will work (and SWMBO doesn't freak about it).

Scott, I'll search through your videos to see if i find some info on removing from a concrete wall which is similar. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dirk
Dirk

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 09:52:55 pm »
I have several videos of block wall removals. Here's a recent one.

Stephen's bees block wall removal

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

anything