Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: CCD  (Read 3777 times)

Offline jeanht

• Brood
CCD
« on: July 21, 2007, 07:59:34 am »
I am part of the forum in the UK although I live in France.  The UK forum suggested I post this here as you guys seem to be so much more affected by CCD at the moment and are, I suspect, able to do more research. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Needless to say I miss most programmes on CCD out here in France but something came up the other day and I wonder what you all think. If it's already been covered ad infinitum forgive me.
Hubby was talking to the local builder who goes hunting a lot. Suddenly a lot of the hounds and other dogs used started to get ill after hunting and all died within a few days. Local vets and then regional vets were consulted - none of them could work it out and it went on for quite a while, regardless of what particular area they were hunting in. Finally, they found a vet who managed to find a test that worked.
Basically this area has suffered a moderate/bad drought during the last three years. They discovered that chemicals used on crops had built up and with the recent heavy rain had been washed in concentrated quantities into puddles from which these poor dogs were drinking whilst out hunting.
Seems to me that if it can happen to dogs it could happen to bees? We don't provide water for our bees as we have a moat and they can easily drink from there. Perhaps we should be more careful although there hasn't been a problem so far.
Anyway, just interested in your ideas.

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: CCD
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 12:00:41 pm »
anything is possible  :)

so far, in all that i have read, they are not able to link insecticides to CCD.  there seem to be a number of things that argue against it.  among them, the fact that this is something that has happened before. 

there were just a couple of articles posted here about a nosema.  as i recall, researchers in spain and other places identified it as a likely culprit.  it's probably posted close to this thread.  one or two back.

that said, i can't imagine that insecticide is really good for bees....but neither is having your crops eaten up by other insects.....
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 04:46:43 pm »
Kathyp is right.
They have found a "new" strain of nosema.
Also, when it happend over a centry ago, they didn't have the chemicals then.
Once the "bees" get this one worked out, another one will come along in a decade or so.
My 2
doak

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 11:29:40 am »
jeanht.  That was some story about the hunting dogs.  I feel for the owners of these pooches.  Who would have ever thunk that taking the dogs out for a day of fun could end up into such a tragedy.  The things that go on in this world are of the weirdest nature.  Have a wonderful day, beautiful life and health. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 01:45:04 pm »
pauvres chiens  :'(

anything