Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Almonds starting bloom at my village.  (Read 4575 times)

Offline abejaruco

• Field Bee
Almonds starting bloom at my village.
« on: February 01, 2007, 03:15:12 pm »
It is cold and the bees are not very interested.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: Almonds starting bloom at my village.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 10:37:13 pm »
darn someone needs to take an axe to all those dead trees. ;)

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 11:52:07 pm »
Beautiful picture.  I hope that the weather warms, the almonds need pollination help.  Is there a chance the weather may warm up soon, or are you in cold times now?  Great day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline abejaruco

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 02:28:01 pm »
We are in cold times, 0º C / 30º F, early in the morning, a "patatero zero" that we call it when is very round.
Later thermometer read 50 or 60ºF, but I am frozen.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 10:57:47 pm »
Abejaruco.  Understood, but is your climate naturally staying cold for awhile, or are you anticipating the weather to warm up considerably.  It would be a disaster if the bees could not pollinate almonds.  Great day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2007, 07:43:15 am »
I can't wait for things to bloom here. Although real winter came awful late here It still seems as though it's been here forever. Maybe I could get a blooming plastic plant or something!
I say as spring comes on post the bloom photos as Abejaruco did and we can follow the bloom acrosss the world. This forum is becoming a great Geography teacher and I get to hear about places I would never get a chance to otherwise! :) :)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2007, 11:15:17 am »
I can't wait for things to bloom here. Although real winter came awful late here It still seems as though it's been here forever. Maybe I could get a blooming plastic plant or something!
I say as spring comes on post the bloom photos as Abejaruco did and we can follow the bloom acrosss the world. This forum is becoming a great Geography teacher and I get to hear about places I would never get a chance to otherwise! :) :)

Ken, now isn't that a great idea.  I love to see what is going on in all different parts of the world.  We don't see much or hear much at all about any places around the Pacific Rim area.  Wonder why?  Not many beekeepers there?
We have buds starting to swell on many of our trees, shrubs, a while yet until we get the blossoms though.  Great day.  Cindi

Offline abejaruco

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 03:50:32 pm »
Cindi, weather is normal, is whimsical, always has been "mad". February will be hot, as says the popular sentence "In february, the dog is looking for a shadow, and in march, the dog and his owner". Of course we will have untimely cold days. Nature always remember that "Life´s hard".

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 10:04:31 am »
Abejaruco, put more pictures of your home town on the forum.  I love to look at these, so pretty to see how the other areas of the world's terrain appears.  I still love the pictures of the orange trees.  Lovely.   I hope weather permits the bees to fly.  Great day.  Cindi

Offline abejaruco

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2007, 08:48:34 am »
I still love the pictures of the orange trees.

There is a picture that I enjoy. My father told me, "Take me in a picture for the posterity" :) He loves his citrus. I thought in a tittle "The man and his citrus", but I am thinking that would be better called it "the man and God".

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2007, 08:56:09 am »
Abejaruco.  Now isn't that a beautiful picture of your Father in amongst the grass and the fruit trees.  He was right, you should always have pictures of family for the memories.  He looks like he is studying the oranges very closely.  I see he has an umbrella, a jacket (and probably some kind of gum boot) on.  It must be fairly cool when the oranges are ripening.

I am curious, once the flowers show, how long does it generally take for the fruit to be ripe enough to pick?  By the way, I did copy the picture of the orange grove that I loved so much to my hard drive of my computer and am going to put it on disc to take it to London Drugs Store to have it printed professionally so I can hang it on my wall.  Thanks again for enlightening my life and taking me to a country far away.  Beautiful.

I was looking at the orange trees' foliage.  It has very beautiful leaves, they appear shiny, is that truly so?  I also observe that the foliage appears to be very very thick, one can hardly see through the trees, that is awesome.  So pretty.

Greatest of days.  Cindi

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2007, 07:19:52 pm »
What a great photo and those orages wow
kirk-o
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline abejaruco

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2007, 04:29:48 am »
once the flowers show...
Citrus are waking up now. Flowers will open three weeks during april, at time with black lotus (Robinia pseudoacacia) and avocados. Orange are harvested since October (degreening) till March. Valencia late is harvested since May to June, but the flowers open during april too.

Most of the Spanish towns have bitter citrus in the streets. The best time to visit Seville, Cordoba, Valencia or Granada is April, no doubt.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2007, 10:29:23 am »
Abejaruco.  Robinia pseudoacacia, black locust, is a very good nectar tree for bees.  I remember Brian Bray talking about it, saying that it can be a honeyflow in itself. 

That black locust or honey locust is a tree that I have plans on introducing to my property.  One of our local nurseries sells the two year old trees.  I would imagine it would take some time for it to produce anything that could be of value to the bees, but I always look at the big picture.  All good things take time they say.  Greatest of days.  Cindi