Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Any one have experience with SMR or AllStar Queens?  (Read 1999 times)

Offline gottabee

• House Bee
  • Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler.
Any one have experience with SMR or AllStar Queens?
« on: December 31, 2005, 01:19:51 pm »
I am curious if anyone has had experience with queens from B Weaver in Texas.

http://www.beeweaver.com/

What caught my attention is the claim that all bees, SMR or Allstar queens, are extremely hygenic and no chemicals are used in the hives to control mites. I am very inerested in a natural method to control mites. I dont mind giving them a try but I have a couple of questions if anyone can help.
1. Are they really better at hygenic behavior to reduce the mite threat or is this an exaggeration? Do they even have mites in that part of Texas?
2. What kind of bee would I get if a superseeded queen mated with my Italian or ferel drones?
3. How well do they overwinter?

Thanks for your feedback.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 05:32:20 pm »
I've had their All Americans, but not lately.  They were good Italian bees.  I've had thier buckfasts for decades and loved them until all of the ones I had turned mean simulaneously.  I got some SMR's from them once.  They absconded, so I don't really know how they would have done.

Those who have had SMR queens say they often have poor brood patterns.  There is some discussion whether this is from hygenic behavior or inbreeding.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 05:36:49 pm »
I got interupted and skipped some of your questions.  Sorry.

>1. Are they really better at hygenic behavior to reduce the mite threat or is this an exaggeration?

The SMR's are.  I haven't had their All american lately.

> Do they even have mites in that part of Texas?

Yes, they do.  They also have AHB (Africanized Honey Bees) in that part of Texas.

>2. What kind of bee would I get if a superseeded queen mated with my Italian or ferel drones?

From my recent experience, I'd say viscous.  But you could get lucky.  :)  Probably they will still have some resistance to the mites.

>3. How well do they overwinter?

The SMR's I had didn't stay around so I don't know, but my guess is fine.  The All Americans will do just fine.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline gottabee

• House Bee
  • Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler.
Re: Any one have experience with SMR or AllStar Queens?
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 10:38:58 am »
Here is a followup to my own questions.
Micheal Bush was absolutely right. They were quick to swarm all season. Also the hives with superseeded queens were agressive. SMR Hybrids were more hygenic but I do not want any more of them because their offspring are mean. This is my experience.
VIVA ITALIANO!