Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: BEE EATING ANT  (Read 3314 times)

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
BEE EATING ANT
« on: November 15, 2009, 10:55:55 am »
Discovered in Texas, spreading in Lousiana & Mississippi !!
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
Re: BEE EATING ANT
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 01:26:23 pm »
It's related to the Crazy Raspberry Ant, they have not identified it yet, hitched a ride from down South, they just eat everything, Honey bees included. They are giving Fire Ants a hard time.  :evil:

Offline lakeman

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 04:13:21 pm »
It's related to the Crazy Raspberry Ant, they have not identified it yet, hitched a ride from down South, they just eat everything, Honey bees included. They are giving Fire Ants a hard time.  :evil:

Any enemy of fire ants is a friend of mine. :-D :-D :-D
I am my own biggest critic!

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 06:27:54 pm »
"BEE EATING ANT"

Now is that a bee eating an ant or an ant that eats bees. Sounds like some newspaper headline

The ambiguity of English

Mick

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 07:00:56 pm »
"BEE EATING ANT"

Now is that a bee eating an ant or an ant that eats bees. Sounds like some newspaper headline

The ambiguity of English

Mick

Ok, if it needs to be explained;

http://home.ezezine.com/1636/1636-2009.11.15.08.02.archive.html

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline sarafina

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 12:54:42 am »
WOW - discovered in Houston and Pearland - waaaay too close to home for me.

I thought varroa were bad - these suckers are worrisome!

Offline lakeman

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 07:18:21 am »
If their only bad side is that they eat bees, and if they will rid us of the fire ant, I think it is a great trade off. I will have no problem keeping them away from my bees.

Offline sarafina

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 10:41:40 am »
If their only bad side is that they eat bees, and if they will rid us of the fire ant, I think it is a great trade off. I will have no problem keeping them away from my bees.

How do you "keep them away" from your bees?  The disturbing aspect is regular pesticides are not very effective and only slow them down for about 10 days.  Hopefully someone will come up with something to keep them out of our houses and hives that isn't harmful to us and our bees.

Offline lakeman

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 04:05:31 pm »

How do you "keep them away" from your bees?  The disturbing aspect is regular pesticides are not very effective and only slow them down for about 10 days.  Hopefully someone will come up with something to keep them out of our houses and hives that isn't harmful to us and our bees.

Very simple, you put your bees up on legs, and you set the legs in a can of water. If by chance, they like to swim, you put about an inch of oil in the cans instead of water, this will work.

Offline sarafina

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 05:03:28 pm »

Very simple, you put your bees up on legs, and you set the legs in a can of water. If by chance, they like to swim, you put about an inch of oil in the cans instead of water, this will work.

ahhh.... that makes sense - thank-you!  Mine are on cinder blocks now but if they become a problem then at least I know what I can do to solve it.

And I am with you on eating the fire ants !!!!!

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 09:25:45 pm »
Careful what you wish for. They say "Better the devil you know than the one you don't."

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 09:54:25 pm »
Raspberry Ants
related to the crazy ant  :lol: RDY-B

Offline lakeman

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2009, 08:37:26 am »
Careful what you wish for. They say "Better the devil you know than the one you don't."

Evidently ya'l do not have the fire ant YET!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2009, 08:49:15 am »
Yea, I pictured bees eating ants, and that was a crazy picture...

What will be will be.  I'm sure we can't eradicate them, although I'm sure some organization will try..
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2009, 08:53:18 am »

How do you "keep them away" from your bees?  The disturbing aspect is regular pesticides are not very effective and only slow them down for about 10 days.  Hopefully someone will come up with something to keep them out of our houses and hives that isn't harmful to us and our bees.

You can grease the legs too, but keep in mind, some species of ants build " ant bridges" over obstacles, where many are sacrificed for the greater good of the colony.

anything