Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Install on cool damp day  (Read 1152 times)

Offline Davepeg

• House Bee
Install on cool damp day
« on: March 26, 2013, 05:51:48 pm »
In Rockland county ny - we are below normal temps and cool, damp.  Just had a snow shower go by.... picked up a package today from Hudson bee supply.  It's their first year selling bees.  Came up from GA just today.  We usually feed bee tea, but is it too cold?  Should I just be feeding fondant (which I need a recipe for).
Suggestions?
We love the girls...

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: Install on cool damp day
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 08:41:37 pm »
The first time we got bees it was 22 degrees during the overnights and struggling for 40 daytime. We fed syrup inside the hive and they built comb, released the queen and gathered pollen when the sun was out and wind was calm.
We put the package in one deep with foundation and set a quial feeder on the top of the frsmes in one of the corners. We surrounded that with a second deep box and crumpled up newspaper to fill the empty space. Over that we put the inner cover and outer cover.It  worked just fine.
Heres the general idea:
Beekeeping - Bee Package Installation

Offline Davepeg

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 08:47:48 am »
Thanks for the suggestions.  I installed in a medium - first time, we usually use deeps but I find them to be getting to heavy for me to handle anymore.  Put a top feeder on with bee tea.  Since our temps will be in in the 50's this week I think we should be okay.  The trees are just waiting to open so the girls will have something to feast on in a few days!
We love the girls...

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 06:52:39 pm »
It sounds like this weekend will be warmer and some sun. All should go well. :)

anything