Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: small hive beetles  (Read 2021 times)

Offline jimmy_in_texas

• New Bee
small hive beetles
« on: September 01, 2007, 02:17:35 pm »
Hello from Willis Texas,

I have some observations of this new pest and was wondering what anyone else has noticed about these bugs, I am new to beekeeping, about 4 months ago I moved a feral nest to my home, as I was tearing the old wood container apart the bees were in, I saw a few small black beetles running about on the combs, at the time I did not know what they were, I went ahead and finished wiring in the comb to the new frames and sealed up the hive, for the first 2 weeks everyday after work I would sit by the hive and just watch the activity, most evenings I would see 2 or 3 of these ladybug size beetles hovering in front of the hive and then fly right on in, one day I saw a group of bees wrestling with a much larger one trying to get him out of the hive, he just crawled right back in, my first inspection when I lifted the cover I saw a few small ones running around on the top bars.

well I got on the internet and found out what these things were, I bought some check-mite and placed the cardboard as directed, after 3 weeks I removed it and there were maybe fifty dead ones under the cardboard, its been going on 2 months since then and I havent seen anymore flying or in the hive, I wonder if this is just a temporary cure and theyll be back soon? or has my colony gotton strong enough to keep them at bay? maybe they are seasonal and they wont be back until next spring?  I dont like using chemicals of any type and but felt I had too after reading about what they can do to a hive.

I bought one of those SHB traps from Dadant but will not use it unless I see them again.  anyway I was wondering what anyone elses experience with these things might be.

Jimmy

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: small hive beetles
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 03:03:02 pm »
Jimmy, I believe your hive grew in strength and are on top of things now. I also believe you did them a favor by killing those 50 or so while they were growing in strength from the transfer. The shb is not ladybug size though, that's kind of large for shb. If your hive stays strong they will take care of the shb. By the way, just about every removal I do, I see shb and they are also in swarm clusters, and will move with the bees into the bees new home. They have an absolutely incredible sense of smell and they are also more active when it gets warmer, late summer.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
Re: small hive beetles
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 09:24:52 pm »
The SHB trap from Sonny and Mel works really well.  I still see the beetles in my hives, but the traps are full of dead ones.  The key is to replace the lure every week - it dries up in the hot south.

Here's a link to how to make it:

http://beekeeperlinda.blogspot.com/2007/05/small-hive-beetle-trap-saga.html

It's nice to see them dead.  I don't think this trap works any better than the apple cider vinegar trap I purchased from Brushy Mtn but it's cheaper!

Linda T in the N Ga Mtns