Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Setting comb into empty frames, we did it!  (Read 6529 times)

Offline Beefunkrailroad

• New Bee
Setting comb into empty frames, we did it!
« on: May 10, 2013, 12:25:29 pm »
This is a follow up to another thread "New Hive has comb attacheched to lid, need advice."
You guys gave me some awesome advice and as soon as I could get out to the bee yard we cut the comb and set it in the empty frames with rubberbands.
Queen was laying eggs too, we are very excited.  Its a good thing we were told a way to save this comb.
We used the hive tool to cut the combs off the lid after smoking and brushing the bees off the best we could.  BTW I did use an improvised hand full of soft grass to brush off the bees as suggested by hardwood (Scott).
I feel like this is going to be a good year, we are having a good mild spring here in Kentucky with lots of good rain.  

« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 12:37:16 pm by Robo »

Moots

Re: Setting comb into empty frames, we did it!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 12:41:31 pm »
Nicely done....Good Job!

One piece of friendly advice...lose the gloves and life as a Beek becomes a lot simpler.  :)

Offline RC

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 12:55:06 pm »
x2

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 12:58:02 pm »
x3

It may seem scary at first, but once you do it, you will understand why it is important.  You squash way fewer bees and have a much better grip on the frames.  It took me 10 years to try it, but once i did 3 years ago, I haven't had gloves on since.

Linda D.
linda d

Offline Beefunkrailroad

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 01:09:33 pm »
You are right.
Seems like we are always taking off gloves so we can use a tool or light the smoker.  Im not sure if I will have any luck convincing the wife to take off her gloves tho lol.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 01:20:57 pm »
Have her try Nitrile rubber gloves.  Still gives her protection against stings,  but gives much better dexterity.  And you can just dispose of them when they get covered with propolis.  I actually prefer to wear the Nitrile gloves over going bare handed just for the propolis issue....
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Bees In Miami

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 02:28:21 pm »
Good for you!  Your first cut-out....sorta....  X:X

Nice laying pattern, too.  Look at all the brood and larvae that would have been lost.   :bee:  Good save!   X:X

Offline dfizer

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 04:50:45 pm »
Nicely done....Good Job!

One piece of friendly advice...lose the gloves and life as a Beek becomes a lot simpler.  :)

You'd have countless bee stings at my hot hive right now if you lost the gloves.  For instance, was just stung 2 times - once on each wrist - while mowing the grass.  My yard is 200 feet from the bee hives.

Some times they are a necessity!  Just sayin!

David

Moots

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 05:41:41 pm »

You'd have countless bee stings at my hot hive right now if you lost the gloves.  For instance, was just stung 2 times - once on each wrist - while mowing the grass.  My yard is 200 feet from the bee hives.

Some times they are a necessity!  Just sayin!

David

David,
I can promise you this...If I had bees wearing me out while I'm trying to cut grass 200 feet from their hive, I wouldn't be worried about getting gloves!  I'd be worried about getting new bees, or a new queen instead....Just sayin!  :-D

Offline Beefunkrailroad

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 05:43:35 pm »
So is a hot aggressive hive a sign that the queen is in trouble or dead?  I have read so many contradictory facts about that.
I guess the theory is that if the queen is laying and producing good then the hive will be less aggressive?

Moots

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 06:29:49 pm »
So is a hot aggressive hive a sign that the queen is in trouble or dead?  I have read so many contradictory facts about that.
I guess the theory is that if the queen is laying and producing good then the hive will be less aggressive?

BFRR,
I think a queenless hive can be testy...but what I'm referring to is just the general disposition of a hive.  The queen controls the genetics and mood of a hive, so SOP for calming down a hot hive is to requeen it.  Some people tolerate a hot hive because they claim the bees aggressive behavior carries over into aggressive honey production.  Personally, I'm not interested in bees that will be aggressive enough to sting me unprovoked when I'm 200 feet from their hive, no matter how much honey they produce.  :)   

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 07:00:11 pm »
Good job.  As far as the gloves try platex kitchen gloves.  They can sting through it but not often and they don't react badly to them like skin.
Bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline Dunkel

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 08:33:21 pm »
Speaking as a teacher in KY.  You should never have bags from the teacher store available in May, LOL. Congrats!

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 08:49:02 pm »
Y'all did a great job on saving the comb.  X:X X:X X:X X:X X:X

Looks like you have a good laying queen too. Congratulations!!!   :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

I have to agree with the guys on the glove thing. I have only had bees for three weeks tomorrow. My first 4 inspections I did with gloves and a smoker. However now I will have the smoker just in case, but it seems to upset the bees more when I smoke them than when I just go into the hive without it. I do like the smoker when I am closing up the hive to move the bees off the top of the frames.

My last inspection I did it without gloves and the bees weren't even on my hands at all. Before when I wore gloves they were on the gloves. So no more gloves for me. I like that you can feel everything you are doing. I like that if I need the bees to move off an area of the comb I just lightly lay my hand on them and they move out of the way.

All that being said if they turn mean I will wear them again. But so far my girls are very sweet and calm even when I just open the super a crack just to take a peek.

Again way to go you guys.

David

"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."

Moots

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 09:32:47 pm »
David,

Any chance that maybe you're over smoking them?  That's about the only time I've ever heard of smoke upsetting them.  My understanding with smoke is that a little bit goes a long way and too much will aggravate them and be ineffective.

I use just a couple of puffs at the entrance and one or two under the cover, more over than in the hive. Then I try to give them at least 2 to 3 minutes before going into the hive.

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 09:59:01 pm »
Don't think I'm over smoking them. Everything I have read and watched says to use as little smoke as possible so I do.

That being said they just don't like smoke.
Before going into the hive you can barely hear any buzzing. They are very quiet and content. However even with only one light puff in the entrance and one light one under the cover and the buzzing goes up ten fold. So no more smoke except when I go to close them up to get them off the top of the frames.

I also make sure the smoke isn't hot.

My girls are just way calm and nice for me to smoke them.

Maybe they know smoking can cause cancer. LOL  :-D

David
"Give it All You've Got"

Offline dfizer

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2013, 11:04:45 pm »
David,
I can promise you this...If I had bees wearing me out while I'm trying to cut grass 200 feet from their hive, I wouldn't be worried about getting gloves!  I'd be worried about getting new bees, or a new queen instead....Just sayin!  :-D
Moots -
Make no mistake about it - I am in the process of requeening this hive however until this process is complete I just have to bear with this nonsense they are putting me through.  I 100% agree that glove-less is the way to go for all the reasons mentioned however there are times when they are an absolute necessity - that's all I'm sayin!   :-D   As my general rule - I don't wear gloves while performing inspections etc but when I get hit 4 times in less than 2 minutes I'll break them out.  They are always in my beekeeping supply kit. 

David

Moots

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2013, 11:33:20 pm »

Moots -
Make no mistake about it - I am in the process of requeening this hive however until this process is complete I just have to bear with this nonsense they are putting me through.  I 100% agree that glove-less is the way to go for all the reasons mentioned however there are times when they are an absolute necessity - that's all I'm sayin!   :-D   As my general rule - I don't wear gloves while performing inspections etc but when I get hit 4 times in less than 2 minutes I'll break them out.  They are always in my beekeeping supply kit.  

David,
Roger that...

I certainly never meant to imply that I had a give me death before you give me gloves policy!  :-D

As with many things in life....I think a good glove rule is: "Better to have them, and not need them, then need them, and not have them".

I'm still very much a newbie at this...But I made the decision while doing my research long before ever getting my first bees that I wanted to go glove-less while working my bees, if possible.  I still bought a pair, I still keep them handy...But except for one, maybe two occasions in the 4 months I've owned bees, I haven't put them on.

In my opinion, I think the thought of working a hive without gloves is much more intimidating than the act of simply doing it.  I equate it to a kid waiting in line to ride a roller coaster, it doesn't matter how big and bad the ride is...It can never live up to the fear and anticipation that builds up while waiting in line the first time.  Once you ride it once, you've got it beat!  :)

In a similar fashion, I just think some folks need a nudge to take the gloves off the first time.... But hey, if 4 bees nail you in the first two minutes....by all means, put the gloves back on.  :-D  
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 06:59:25 am by Moots »

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2013, 12:33:54 am »
Georgia boy, I am a new beek with only about 37 years of experience.I will go in a hive without gloves, without veil, even without shirt. If you are going in a hive without smoke in my presence, please give me 5 minutes notice. I want to be a minimum of 1 mile away. If you continue to raise the lid without smoking the entrance first, you will be posting about your 100 plus stings before you dropped the lid back down and ran. It will happen one day. Be sure to tell your family to post it here if you don't survive that many stings.

Beefunkrailroad, Congratulations on a job well done. You wear what makes you comfortable. If you can relax and be comfortable without gloves, do so. If it makes you nervous to be bare handed, wear gloves. I love to be able to light my smoker and open a hive wearing whatever I have on at the moment, but I am comfortable doing it. If I was uncomfortable otherwise, I would wear full suit every time. No 2 beeks are the same, and you should do what you feel good with. Time will relax the apprehension and you will eventually be able to do more with less.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline yantabulla

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2013, 06:47:03 am »
Thanks Iddee, 

Beekeepers who don't use smoke are short term beekeepers.

Their abandoned hives spread disease.

Smoke is good.

Use it.

Yanta

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2013, 10:23:46 am »
LOL. Point taken and understood.  :)

David
"Give it All You've Got"

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2013, 06:56:18 pm »
Good job cutting and saving the comb. As for not wearing gloves don't pet your dog or cat before you go in you hive and don't use strong smelly soap. Sometimes the smell will get you stung. I always smoke my hands some while I'm getting the smoker going and if you do get stung smoke the area where you were stung after you scrape the stinger off. These things seem to help alittle.

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2013, 08:28:37 pm »
I guess we have kind of highjacked this threat and got off on gloves and smoke. Sorry.

I don't think I would have had the nerve to go gloveless but i got the idea to spray my hands with Fischer's Bee Quick first, thinking the girls would not want to go near my hands.  It seemed to work fine but JP got all over me and said I shouldn't spray my hands with that stuff, but by that time I had gone gloveless twice and got over the fear of it so kept doing it without the Bee Quick.  But I do "smoke" my hands quite a bit, and certainly I smoke'em if I get a sting some place.  I usually get stung once or twice, depending on how long I am in my hives, but I don't really mind a couple of stings.  It is probably good for me.

As to smoking, if I am going in real quick, like I did in a nuc today, i use Optima in some sugar water and spray that.  Says it is supposed to calm the girls and keep them from flying.  And now that I have a couple of nearly filled honey suppers, I don't want to smoke the honey, so I use the Optima when I am taking off the top and checking to see if the frames are capped. 
linda d

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2013, 02:33:02 am »
If I'm just peaking in the hive and moving 1 or 2 frames, I go gloveless. Anything more, I wear 5 mil nitrile gloves. I got a box of 100 for around 12 bucks from Amazon.

Offline Beefunkrailroad

• New Bee
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2013, 12:35:21 pm »
LOL you guys are great!
We talked about going without gloves and the wife "Mrs.BeeFunkRailRoad" doesn't feel comfortable/confident enough to even think about going without gloves.  We are having such a great time beekeeping I sure dont want to ruin it for her.  But I totally agree, gloves are a pain in the butt.
Speaking of smoking what would you guys recommend for smoker fuel?  We use old straw, it seems to do ok.  We had someone tell us to only use pine needles, not sure about that one.

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2013, 01:54:26 pm »
anything nontoxic should be alright. straw, pine needles, burlap, leaves, grass, wood shavings, and so on.

Offline dfizer

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2013, 02:17:40 pm »
Anything you have laying around that is organic and will burn.  I usually look for some bark or dead grass, leaves, but just realize how quickly the stuff will burn.  For instance leaves burn up and quit smoking rather quickly but a dead stick broken up that starts to smolder will stay smoking quite a while.  It all depends on how long you're gonna be in the hive. 

I would never buy smoker fuel... there's just far too much of it laying on the ground. 

David

Offline ziffabeek

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2013, 02:18:30 pm »
Hey Georgia Boy!

To illustrate what Iddee is saying, I too thought my wonderfully sweet gentle bees did not need smoke to work my first summer.  They were always calm and pretty much ignored me when I went it that first summer.  Then one day towards the end of the summer, I thought "I'm just going to peak under the lid real quick - I don't need to light my smoker".  True to form, Iddee was right. I don't know if I surprised them or what but they came out armed! I think I got 4-5 before I could close them up! :D  As the forum quickly reminded me (after they stopped laughing) - first year bees tend to be much less defensive AND you never know what you will find when you open the hive.  the refrain was clamorous - "Always have a smoker even if you have nothing else."  I've listened ever since then!

I don't like a lot of smoke and i don't puff it over the frames if it's not needed, because I have noticed the same reaction you mention.  But I always have a lit smoker and I always puff the entrance and one under the SBB before I pop the top.

As moots says, better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it!  :lol:

love,
ziffa

anything