0 (0%)
$3.00 to $3.50 a Gallon
0 (0%)
$3.50 to $4.00 a Gallon
1 (3.7%)
More than $5.00 a Gallon
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Bee Related - how much are you paying for Gas?  (Read 10509 times)

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Bee Related - how much are you paying for Gas?
« on: May 15, 2004, 09:18:47 am »
I was reading Beefree saying $2.13 a gallon for gas and how it can effect how many trips you might take to a distant bee-yard. Good point if your bees are 40 miles away, that can be about $20 just to inspet them if you own a gas hog - wow.

So the question is (and I think this post will be around for a while - I'll move it to POLLING FORUM soon) and as we NEAR the National Boycott Gas Day...

How much are you paying for gas???

NOTE: Remember USAers... This is an International Forum, don't be too suprised when you see SOME of the prices people are pay already!!!
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Anonymous

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2004, 09:57:52 am »
With gas prices what they are we have abandoned Kare's gas powered suv. We now are doing all our driving in my diesel powered pickup and paying $1.65.9 for diesel.
Also I no longer mow the whole lawn, just 50 feet around the house 5 feet along our 400 foot driveway, and since the back yard is nearly all perennial flower garden I mow all that is left there.
May just plow up what is not going to be mowed any more and plant wild flowers never to mow again.
  I think gas prices will come down again but only to about $1.80 per gallon. But I base that on the prices finally stalling out at $2.50.
 :D Al

Offline Ladybee

• New Bee
13 cent jump over night
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2004, 03:00:42 pm »
John ( Beemaster ) paid $1.87 yesterday and today the same station was at $2.05 - as he says, for the same gas in the same tank, not NEW GAS they had to buy, but for gas they already paid for. That should be against the law.

But the a short trip down the road ( we have 40 stations in a 8 mile area ) I saw $1.84 to $2.07 for regular - what a swing and several of these stations were at opposite intersections of each other, how on Earth can they compete when charging 15 cents a gallon more for the same octane?

I don't doubt we'll see $3.00 a gallon by Summer's End - we already decided to make shorter trips with the motorhome this year, at 10mpg that trip to Virginia we took last Summer would cost more for fuel then for RV PARK rates for the stay. So this year we will be visiting the more scenic mountainous areas of the state, Deleware Water Ga, High Point, Etc., and enjoying the company of friends who will be using their new RV this year with us!

Tracey
Ladybee

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2004, 03:15:34 pm »

Prob should have been in jokes but I couldn't resist
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Offline lobstafari

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2004, 03:22:14 pm »
Too funny.... :lol:
I was just telling the fellah at our local plant nursery yesterday, instead of buying a new mower which we need, and filling it with gas, maybe I'd just get some goats!!! 8)   In all seriousness, I thought about throwin my layer hens in a chicken tractor and letting them mow.  I guess i'd just have to pay attention to moving them sooner than later!!!  Sorry to get off-subject of bees :shock:  :D

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: 13 cent jump over night
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2004, 04:27:11 pm »
Quote from: Ladybee
as he says, for the same gas in the same tank, not NEW GAS they had to buy, but for gas they already paid for. That should be against the law.

Just what we need more laws.   I guess there should be a law against people selling last years honey at this years price then too.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline dcwilliams_29id

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2004, 05:09:08 pm »
In the good ole USA the consumer drives a big part of the economy.  It just so happens that most consumers like to drive giant SUV's and trucks which eat gas (I must admit I'm guilty myself).   If everyone was so concerned about it, they would buy more fuel efficient vehicles, or alternative fuel vehicles and not be so reliant on gas.  This would have a huge impact on oil producers because we are one of the largest oil consuming countries in the world.  People would no longer rely on the oil industries fickle prices which shoot up or down depending on what opec says.  Several auto manufacturers now have hybrid vehicles that get over 60 to 70 miles to the gallon.  If these caught on with main stream America the oil industry would be forced to change the way they do business.  The consumers are the ones that need to change their habits.

Chris

Offline snowzerdog

• House Bee
fuel
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2004, 11:50:49 pm »
HEMP IS PART OF THE ANSWER.  tHERE IS ENOUGH CORN GROWN IN AMERICA TO FEED AND POWER OUR VEHICLES.  SURE HELP THE FARMERS OUT.  TRUE SOME THINGS WOULD GO UP IN PRICE, BUT YOU HAVE TO TAKE THE GOOD WITH THE BAD IF YOU WANT TO GET IT.  BRAZIL REQUIRED ALL CARS AFTER A CERTAIN YEAR AND I CAN'T REMEMBER IT, USE ALCOHOL AS THEIR FUEL.  :D
God doesn't owe you anything, but you owe everything to God!

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
Hemp in the USA
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2004, 01:44:12 am »
Indeed the US is too hypocritical to use hemp as an internally grown or exported product - what fool. I have hemp shirts, pants, hats and bellybags which I bought in Madison, Wisconsin imported from Canada - the same Canada where the miracle fiber Asbestos comes from and where it is handled and shipped properly.

Of course hemp and asbestos is two different products, but HEMP is the answer to so many problems, fuel clothing, it's biological brother's medicinal properties :shock:  you'd think a country so fuel dependent as we are would go with a renewable, affordable alternative to carbon fuels. I assume the fear is that people will be jumping the fences to help themselves in some reefer madness frenzy - but they'd rather keep the general public stupid on the differences between these.

About the clothing, what a soft and durable feel to all the clothes. I don't ever see them wearing thin. My Belltbag I use for carrying cassette player and audiobooks and use them at work - I have finally wore a small hole where I over stuff the cassettes and STILL the bag won't tear out or thread - it just has a hole in it about half the diameter of a dime and it's been like that over a year. Nope - we'll never see hemp on any scale of production to meet the needs of our quenchless need for fuel.

I can't complain about gasoline prices when I own a car that gets 16.4 mpg on it's digital dash readout and a motorhome that might get 10mpg with a good tailwind. I "feed the pig" as is said locally - but when I bought that gas hog of a Grand Marquis (which I still love) back in July of 2001, gas was at a record low of $,89 a gallon.

Today (after voting in this poll) local Regular hit $2.05 at one of the stations - still plenty of $1.89 a gallons out there, but not for long I'm afraid. So this Summer we RV it to the extreme parts of New Jersey - North, South and West - if we went East any further we'd be in the Atlantic Ocean - lol.

Note about this poll

I'm going to redo this poll in two weeks and see what it's like then. Anyone particpating please follow up then - we could see a little stablization after the holiday weekend, but that's only wishful thinking I think!

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
Re: SUVs and...
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2004, 11:23:38 am »
Quote from: Lesli
I'm guilty. I own a Cherokee. Now, I have to say that next to the behemoths I see, it doesn't seem huge at all, but it does get poor gas milage compared to a lot of cars.

But I'm in a quandry--I'd like to replace it with something more fuel efficient, but I do need 4-wheel, I do need cargo space (I regularly haul bales of straw and mulch and things--not to mention a 90-lb dog!), and the extra clearance is welcome in winter when the snow is high and I haven't shovelled the driveway.

I'm thinking subaru wagon next go-round.

Maybe the dog could help puul the Cherokee!

I have a f150
as a carpenter I need a truck. I would like to see a hybrid truck. Not only pick ups but how about over the road trucks too?

You guys are right about renewable fuel. We have the grain and the technology.

The thing that really has me voting against bush is the way he has crapped all over the Constitution.

It's hard for me to vote for Kerry as I am also very pro second admendment.

I hunt and fish and Pres Bush is trying his best to eliminate or circumvent any ecological safeguards that protect our beautiful country.

Who to vote for?
We need someone whith morals who also respects others right to their beliefs. We need someone strong enough to lead the most powerful and wealthy country on this planet by the strenght of their charactor and not by the polls.
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
Tire inflation
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2004, 11:41:53 am »
I hate to simplify an issue - but I read at Motorweek that 40% of all passenger cars have UNDER INFLATED TIRES - they continued to say that that adds to a whopping 19% average decrease in fuel economy.

Imagine if we could all cut the Nations fuel dependency by 19% just by keeping our tires properly inflated - 19%!!! In my gas hog of a car (if my tires we under inflated) at 16.4mpg, theoretically I could get 19.5 mpg instead. Sounds impossible, but they add additional horse-power loss needed to pull or push a car wih the additional TRACTION that more rubber hitting the road creates with low pressure, additional tire wear and the shortened life, and of course increased accidents caused by poor handling - all these are adjusted to create that 19& figure, but it REALISTICALLY shows that something simple as tire inflation could REALLY save us all a FORTUNE every single time we buckle up!

By The Way - these numbers are average - the larger SUVS with the larger tires are at the HIGH 22.5% savings end of that spectrum - so Rog, Snozer and DC we all can make SOME DIFFERENCE. Motorweek suggests checking your pressures at every fill up or 1000 miles (or as they refer to it as 3 times between oil changes minimum.

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2004, 09:40:08 pm »
Not to mention all the dodads people put on their vehicles. Bug shields sun visors all this stuff that takes away from what ever streamlining there is. I had a 76 CJ7 (A vehicle that had all the aerodynamics of a brick to start with) had that flat vertical bug shield on the front of the hood. Took it off and got 3MPG more on the highway!

I also will not have a electric can opener, it's not a lot, but how many homes use them? What does it add up to?

Work in a building with a elevator?
walk up one flight and down two instead of riding.

and turn it off when you're not using something.

And here's one I like
BBQ instead of cooking on your stove!

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
ELECTRIC HOT WATER HEATERS
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2004, 10:07:23 pm »
Here is the SINGLE BEST money saver I can give anyone...

If you have an electric hot water heater in your home, spend $20.00 or so and get a 24 hour timer and install it - or have it installed. Set it to go off at 8pm and on at 6am (adjust it your own needs but have it off 8 hours or more a day) and you will have it powered down a full 121 days a year!

Typical 40 gallon unit will warm up in 45 minutes, but it will stay hot for hours, so if you use it late at night after you have it turn off) the water will still be hot, and by having it coming on in the morning an hour and a half before your first showers will be plenty of time to get it hot again. 121 days of OFF TIME when it would be cycling for no reason at all. Pretty good huh?

And Robo... Don't you dare :P

Offline NewBee Bee Products

• New Bee
Gas Prices
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2004, 02:07:17 am »
05/16/04 Portland, Oregon  $2.29 of the cheep stuff there saying to expect it to reach $ 3.50 by may 30 th