Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: To Harvest or Not to Harvest...  (Read 1688 times)

Offline UtahBees

• House Bee
    • My Photos on Flickr
To Harvest or Not to Harvest...
« on: September 17, 2007, 09:18:09 pm »
Hi Friends -

I have a 4-box medium-super beehive. 4 medium supers stacked on top of each other. So far this year, in the last 2 months, I've harvested 2 supers full of honey. I feel like the luckiest man in Orem, Utah right now.

The 1st medium super and 2nd medium super has not been looked at in 3 months. Last I checked it was a mix of honey, pollen and brood.

The 3rd medium super has honey on 7-8 frames and 2-3 frames of honey and pollen mix. One side of a frame has new eggs (in the middle) (yeah!).

The 4th medium super on top is all honey. 10 frames, and almost all capped white. Maybe 3 weeks more and they'll all be capped, in my guess. Half of each side is currently capped on each frame, in other words.

I am wondering what to do for the winter. Do I harvest the 4th medium super? Do I leave it on for the bees? The general population tells me that if I take it off, the bees will not have a lot of room right now.

Your advice greatly appreciated. Orem, Utah is 75-80 degrees this week in daytime, and 40-45 at night.

Thank you very much!

UtahBees

Offline doak

• Super Bee
Re: To Harvest or Not to Harvest...
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 09:25:57 pm »
Is the 4 supers your complete hive? or do you have some deeps under them?
If it is only the 4 medium's, "do not" take any more.
It is said 3 mediums equal two deeps, then depending where you are and what kind of winter you have, would depend on whether you would have enough with that set up.
doak

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 09:37:56 pm »
Four seems like a good number.  Three would be the minium I'd try to overwinter on for a strong cluster.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline UtahBees

• House Bee
    • My Photos on Flickr
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 11:49:47 pm »
4 medium supers is my complete hive. No deeps.

I have photos here: http://flickr.com/photos/barl0w/sets/72157601666357754/

I will take your advice and keep 4 on then, not harvesting the 4th super. I also like the number 4, and I really want them to have enough food for the winter to become super-bees next Spring. This hive is my first (I'm brand new to beekeeping this year), and they are very strong at the moment.

Thank you for the assistance and advice. I greatly appreciate it. The honey that I was able to harvest this year is just incredible, and I'm having a great time. Even if I did get stung today ;)

UtahBees

anything