Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: When Do You Harvest?  (Read 1306 times)

Offline snmyork

• House Bee
When Do You Harvest?
« on: May 16, 2011, 09:53:21 am »
Just wondering, but this is my first year I will be able to harvest any honey. When do you harvest? When the flow is over or a super at a time. I will be using the crush and strain method as I am not able to get an extractor at the time. I will most likely be doing a super at a time and I know two are ready now.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: When Do You Harvest?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 11:50:56 am »
Any time I find a super that is fully capped, I harvest it. Then I may place it in the frig. or freezer for 3 or 4 days to kill any thing that might be in it. Then seal it in a large trash bag until I have time to work them.  They will keep that way for an indefinite time.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 02:15:33 pm »
iddee,
if you freeze the honey before your process it will it still be considered "raw" honey.  I thought the purpose of not heating honey was to have all the wild yeasts and pollens still active, especially if you are taking it to help with allergies.  Wouldn't the freezing be as disruptive as the heating?  Just asking.
Linda D
linda d

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 03:11:39 pm »
Just as raw as fresh off the hive in early spring, where it has been on all winter up north. Bees don't heat the whole hive. Honey will quite often freeze in the hive.

Also, somebody correct me if wrong, but I think yeast only goes dormant when frozen, but doesn't die. I believe it returns to active when warmed after freezing.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 01:43:10 am »
If you wait until the weather turns col, the bees will be down in the cluster and not in the supers...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything