Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Late Starter  (Read 2910 times)

Offline Piper

• New Bee
Late Starter
« on: April 25, 2006, 01:58:01 pm »
Hi.  I'm just getting into beekeeping, don't even have a hive yet.  I'm not even a new-bee... more like a wanna-be-a-new-bee.  I decided to build a TBH with my husband's help.  Actually he'll probably do the building while I read on from the plans  :lol:   Will probably use plans similar to the ones found at backyardbeehive.com.  I've also ordered the top bars from them since I know they have to be exact, and since we've never even seen one didn't want to take any chances.  I'm sure later we'll say WE could have made those, but at least this way I'm a little bit closer to getting a hive. Since I'm starting this late in the season, I think my chances of getting package bees shipped will be slim once we're done building the hive. Did some calling around and found that many are sold out, or if they do have them I'd have to order NOW and we not ready yet.  If I can manage to get some bees from someone local, do you think it would be worth my while trying to establish a new hive this year, or should I just build the hive, keep studying and wait til next season? There is NO way I could capture a swarm.. I'm going to have to psych myself up enough just to install package bees (don't laugh). I really want to do this though.  Just wish I'd gotten the ball rolling earlier.  If there is anyone out there from MD or nearby that would have bees available, or wouldn't mind acting as a kind of mentor, please contact me! For that matter I'll take any advice on starting a new TBH. Thanks all! Sorry for the ramble!

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Late Starter
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 02:14:22 pm »
Will probably use plans similar to the ones found at backyardbeehive.com.

I'd take a look at beewranglers plans ->http://bwrangler.madpage.com/bee/ttbh.htm

I personally find the backyardhive to be on the small side.

If I can manage to get some bees from someone local, do you think it would be worth my while trying to establish a new hive this year, or should I just build the hive, keep studying and wait til next season?

You still have time.  I started 4 nucs (2 in each TBH) late last summer and they all made it thru the winter and are quite strong.

Here is a post you may find interesting -> http://www.beemaster.com/beebbs/viewtopic.php?t=4433
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Late Starter
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 09:35:41 pm »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Hi-Tech

• Field Bee
    • talkhunting.com
Late Starter
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 11:52:31 pm »
Piper,

I just installed my first ever package a few weeks ago. i was scared silly but was shocked at how easy and peaceful it was. they just did exactly what the books said they would do. I now wish I had taken it a little slower so I could have enjoyed it more. I was really shocked at how docile they were....
Computer Tech, Beekeeper, Hunter = Hi-Tech Redneck
talkhunting.com

Offline Piper

• New Bee
Late Starter
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 10:20:31 pm »
Thanks for the tips and all the helpful links.  This forum is a find for someone just starting out. Really appreciate your taking the time to help!  I'll probably be lurking more than posting trying to absorb all this.  My bedside reading these days is also been bee-related. Just came back fr. the library with BeeKeeping for Dummies, Beekeeping a Practical Guide, and the New Complete Guide to Beekeeping.  My tactic is even if I don't read them all, surrounding myself with info. means something's got to rub off eventually right?  :roll: The great thing is, I can probably get almost all the info. I need right here!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Piper

• New Bee
Late Starter
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2006, 01:25:46 pm »
My painfully slooow start into the world of beekeeping continues! We are finally just about done with building our top bar hive.  It didn't take long to build, just took this long to start  :oops: Was going to just try and learn more, & put off getting bees of my own til next season, but after making a few more calls today, discovered a company in Ohio that has package bees available! http://www.buckeyebee.com anyone familiar with them?  Is it to risky in your opinion to have them shipped this late? Estimate arrival time would be first week in June.

Offline Piper

• New Bee
Late Starter
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2006, 01:28:40 pm »
hmmm should have done a bit of research before posting... doesn't look promising at all.  :cry:

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
Late Starter
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2006, 01:49:34 pm »
I based my plans mostly on the CalKenyan and BeeWranglers.  I did, however, make it much shorter and longer, to compensate for the Sub-Tropical heat.

anything