Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Winterizing  (Read 2477 times)

Offline mainebees

• Brood
Winterizing
« on: October 23, 2006, 08:04:14 am »
Can anyone out there walk me thru what i need to do to winterize my hive for a Maine winter? I have been feeding them cornsyrup, and they are treated for mites. How do i wrap/insulate the hive? Should i really leave the maine entrance fully open so they can keep the hive clean, or should i trust the hole in the upper hive body and a reduced entrance is enough? I haven't pulled the hive apart in over a month. It is plenty (i think) heavy, and i am reluctant to disturb them at this point- is there any real reason to get in there before next spring? Thanks for the help!
Bee Peaceful

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Winterizing
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 08:32:54 am »
It is very essential to keep upper entrance which size wher you may put your small finger.  Lower entrance should be half open but wide.

Then put  mouse grid on the entrance.

Shelter against wind and snow is imporstant. Wrapping with some insulating material is useefull.

Put hive  about one foot from ground

Put hive slanting a little bit that water runs out from bottom.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Winterizing
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 10:18:01 pm »
The two big issues are mousegaurds and an upper entrance/vent.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline mainebees

• Brood
Winterizing
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 01:38:52 pm »
So what should i use to wrap the hive, and how should i do it? I have heard of a variety of materials, but also a variety of advantages and disadvantages to all. Will simple black tarpaper work, or does it need to be more insulating than that? How concerned do i need to be about the breathability of the insulation?
Bee Peaceful

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Winterizing
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006, 01:59:06 pm »
If you choose to wrap,  tar paper is the best.   Anything with more insulating properties prevents the interior of the hive from warming up when the sun hits it.  The black tar paper allows the sun the heat the hive quicker and allows the bees to move to more stores.

Here is some good info on wintering.
http://www.beeworks.com/informationcentre/wintering.html
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Winterizing
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 01:36:17 am »
To often we tend to indulge in overkill.  Thinking to improve on nature can come back to bite us quickly.  I've seen beekeepers insulate their hives with sheets of styrophome, wrap with tarpaper or use 90 lb roofing, and many other tricks in an attempt to keep their bees alive during the winter.  In the end it has all boiled down to keeping the hives as moisture free and will stored (honey) as possible.  A little venting to allow the moisture to escape the hive along with sufficient food reserves will do more than any other thing in insuring successful wintering.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!