Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Prices for Honey in 2011  (Read 12062 times)

Offline Boom Buzz

• House Bee
Re: Prices for Honey in 2011
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2011, 03:13:54 pm »
Just got back from the farmers market.  A local beek is selling his for $16 per quart and $9 per pint.

Offline woodchopper

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2011, 02:33:35 pm »
We sell most of ours to a local health food store. We charge them $6 for a 1/2 lb and $10 for a 1 lb jar. They mark it up to $7 for the 1/2 lb jars and $13.79 for the pounders. We sold out last year and could have sold more had we had it to sell.
Every man looks at his wood pile with a kind of affection- Thoreau

Offline caticind

• House Bee
  • Nothing sweeter...
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2011, 12:05:04 pm »
In the mountains Locust blooms with Tulip Poplar, but you know everyone in NC sells Sourwood. There is more Sourwood sold than produced in my opinion. ;) Sucks for those of us that actually try to super our hives properly to capture good honey!

;) exactly ---- I see the same thing here, on occasion, with peach blossom honey and strawberry honey :?
No such thing --- everything in my area is suppose to be labeled Wildflower!

Generally I'd agree with you, but we have enough honey locust trees in the area to yield some varietal honey only in drought years when it blooms out of step with everything else.  The DOT planted it for roadside beautification about 20 years back and it spread.  This particular seller does not produce it every year, or in large quantities.  It has a very distinctive karob flavor.

The local farmers market has enough raw honey enthusiasts to buy 10 times the locust honey he produces, if he wanted to dupe people.  Everything else he sells is properly labeled wildflower.  I think this one's legit.
The bees would be no help; they would tumble over each other like golden babies and thrum wordlessly on the subjects of queens and sex and pollen-gluey feet. -Palimpsest

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2011, 12:59:37 am »
Lucky Guy :) Maybe I'll get a taste one day!
John 3:16

Offline Keeperwannabe

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2011, 02:43:48 am »
Farmers Market customers pay anything you ask.

anything