Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My First Swarm - got to catch them twice!  (Read 2376 times)

Offline ZuniBee

• House Bee
    • ZuniBeeFarms.com
My First Swarm - got to catch them twice!
« on: June 21, 2007, 10:04:10 am »
Monday evening I had the opportunity to hive my first swarm. It was a pretty big swarm that was about 40 feet up in a tree. My son climbed the ladder and cut the branch and we successfully hived the swarm. I only got stung twice!

Tuesday morning the swarm decided it didn't like the hive and swarmed again. This time they landed in a bush about 100 feet from the hive. So, we got to hive them again. This time I used Honey B Healthy and sprayed the frames. So far, they seem to be staying.

I have the story and videos on my blog at http://www.zunibeefarms.com

Offline Bennettoid

• House Bee
Re: My First Swarm - got to catch them twice!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 01:24:50 pm »
I did a bird house cut out last night. First one I did by myself. It seems to have worked out.

I did get one sting, on my ring finger just above the Wedding Ring. Now I'm wondering if I should get the ring cut off.

Offline SteveSC

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 01:56:04 pm »
I did get one sting, on my ring finger just above the Wedding Ring. Now I'm wondering if I should get the ring cut off.

I always find some plantain growing and pull off some leaves before I visit the bees.  I have the stuff growing around the bee yard.  As soon as you get stung break some leaves up and rub it on the sting, it'll stop the pain and swelling...  You might have to do it several times but it works and beats cutting off your wedding band....

Check it out....it works.

http://www.learningherbs.com/bee_sting_remedy.html

Offline wayne

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 02:52:44 pm »
  I've noticed swarms don't seem to like new hives. A little comb, some lemongrass oil, or better yet a well used hive or frames seem to settle them down faster.
I was born about 100 years too early, or to late.

Offline ZuniBee

• House Bee
    • ZuniBeeFarms.com
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 03:32:59 pm »
They did not like the new hive with just wax foundation. Once I sprayed the foundation with sugar syrup and Honey B Healthy they seemed to really like it. They are still there...at least for now. I am not going to bother them for a week or so then I will check to see if the queen is indeed laying.....that is, if they stay.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2007, 11:02:08 am »
Yeah!!!!  They stayed home, where they should be.  Good news.  Wonderful day, great life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service