Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What did I do wrong???  (Read 1673 times)

Offline rgy

• House Bee
What did I do wrong???
« on: August 05, 2012, 03:06:01 pm »
So I had a honey super of frames with some honey in them and the did not have a hive to put them on so I stored them in my garage.

Went to use them and found little worms in the comb (Maggots???)  Washed the frames out and now wondering if I can use them or not in the future. 

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Mike

Offline Evan W

• New Bee
Re: What did I do wrong???
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 03:26:51 pm »
My guess is Small Hive Beetle. After you have rinsed them off go ahead and stick it in the freezer for a day or two to kill anything left behind like eggs. Then I think you can put them back on the hive and the bees will clean them up, but get a second opinion on that one.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 04:14:15 pm »
Ditto Evan's post. If they are severely slimed by the hive beetle larvae don't give them back to the bees as it may cause them to abscond. A little bit is ok, but if the frames are overrun with them cut the bad out before putting it back on the bees. Next time freeze the frames first let them thaw and put them in a sealed plastic bag before storing.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 04:45:16 pm »
Wax moth worms make lots of webbing as they travel.  Small hive beetles don't.   Freeze the frames either way to kill them. 

Offline rgy

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 08:22:33 am »
don't think it is wax moths or SHB.  it is just real small white worms.  no webbing or slime.  I hosed them out.  what do you think about taking them out to the hives and putting them above the inner cover so they can rob the honey out?

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 11:01:11 am »
what do you think about taking them out to the hives and putting them above the inner cover so they can rob the honey out?

Under the inner cover could invite more of the same.  What I do to empty frames is expose the frame(s) 50+ yards away (the further the better) from the hives.  They'll rob them of all usable stores fast enough that the SHB's can't infest them.  They will tear up fresh comb though.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 06:35:20 pm »
you could freeze them first then put them on for clean up.  be sure to thoroughly thaw them before you give them.  do it where it won't matter if they drip!!!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 10:15:42 pm »
Freeze it no matter what you do to kill what ever it is.   You can set it outside (while still frozen) and let the bees clean it up.   It does not have to go inside a hive. 

Offline Javin

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 02:25:57 am »
Gotta agree with Allen on this one.  It seems to take no time for the girls to find any exposed honey or propolis, but if you put it directly in the hive, you run the risk of exposing them to much more than they're ready to take on.  From what I've seen so far (with my limited experience) if you put it pretty much ANYWHERE they can find it, they'll clear it out without having to worry about encouraging other hives to rob them, or risking giving them more than they can handle.  After a good long freeze, I'd just set it out for them to clean out themselves.  Then if anything of the wax is salvageable, melt it down.  If not, clean the frames thoroughly before considering reuse.

anything