Welcome, Guest

Poll

Do yo have cancer

Yes
No

Author Topic: Do Beekeepers Have Low Incidence of Cancer Poll  (Read 5616 times)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Do Beekeepers Have Low Incidence of Cancer Poll
« on: January 08, 2016, 12:54:36 pm »
Here is a simple pole of beekeepers as asked by Colobee.
The question is asked to help determine if beekeepers to have a low incidence of cancer due to bee stings.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
Re: Do Beekeepers Have Low Incidence of Cancer Poll
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2016, 03:55:46 pm »
"yo?"   :grin:
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline deknow

• Field Bee
    • Golden Rule Honey, LLC
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 04:54:14 pm »
It's just like American Idol...but for facts.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 07:46:04 pm »
Here is a simple pole of beekeepers as asked by Colobee.

I voted but the question should be clarified that you are a beekeeper.  And then I can't answer that question, am I a beekeeper?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline splitrock

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 10:42:43 pm »
I am an over 60 former heavy smoking, cancer free beekeeper!
  :smile
But I think it's because several things I do.  :smile:

Offline mtnb

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 11:15:55 am »
Plus, how long have you been a beekeeper? I mean, I could vote and say No, but I've been only at it for a year...
I'd rather be playing with venomous insects
GO BEES!

Offline KeyLargoBees

• Field Bee
    • Pirate Hat Apiary
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 02:30:33 pm »
Pfft...I voted and its been almost a year....so I might be skewing the scientific results ;-)
Jeff Wingate

Changes in Latitudes...Changes in Attitudes....are Florida Keys bees more laid back than the rest of the country...only time will tell!!!
piratehatapiary@gmail.com https://www.facebook.com/piratehatapiary

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2016, 03:33:56 pm »
Pffft x2 I did the same thing...  :cool:

Offline Colobee

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2016, 01:29:44 pm »
Brain fart ( not cancer) I read the question wrong ( somehow) & voted the wrong way. No cancer, but my "server" is overflowing... :embarassed: If there is anyway to fix that, it would help the accuracy of the poll.

40 years of beekeeping. I eat honey EVERY day, and get stung about 20 times a year on average. I use honey & propolis medicinally for burns & infections.
The bees usually fix my mistakes

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2016, 03:37:23 pm »
Make that a unanimous vote for no. I read and voted like colobee. I answered the first post rather than the poll question.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2016, 08:32:43 pm »
Looks like we are 18 for 18 no's even though there are 2 yeses showing.
Robo,
Can you fix it?
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Richard M

• House Bee
    • Onsite Assessments Tas
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2016, 11:19:00 pm »
Where's the poll? Can't see it.

One major flaw (as far as I can work out as I cannot see the poll) is you are asking living bee keepers this question - as you can only answer one way or t'other if you're alive to do so. As cancer has a high fatality rate (more so in the past), there could be legions of beekeepers long and recently dead from cancer who obviously cannot reply. 

It's a bit like the old army joke where they ask anyone not present on parade to take one pace forward or the parachute packing department who never had a complaint about their parachute packing.

Offline Honeycomb king

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2016, 06:42:38 pm »
What makes a beekeeper in this question? Someone who has just started with their first hive, and yet hasn't had a sting since they were 9 years old on the foot playing on the lawn at grandma's. Or a third generation beekeeper who has had 20 stings a week since the age of 9 helping dad and grandpa with the bees, with daily consumption of honey regular contact with propolis and seasonal tasting of pollen and royal jelly.
Bee venom therapy plays an important part of my health and that of my family. Successful removal of warts, moles, scar tissue, fatigue, eye sight, pain relief etc.
Research done here in Victoria Australia some years ago of a group of mainly commercial beekeepers found very little occurrence of any cancer in current and past members.  I'll try to track down the results.
I feel that science is only now starting to be able to understand and measure the ability of bee products. What was once considered as witch doctory can now be confirmed as real.

I probably get more than 20 stings a week average out over the year. Have done for 10 years (since taking over the family buisness). I received irregular stings in the 20 years before that.I'm 47 years old now I'll let you know how I'm fairing in another 50 years, so keep an eye on this forum (or tell your grandchildren to).

Offline NZrebel

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2016, 07:42:28 pm »
 I started beekeeping after getting cancer. It's the worlds best therapy, I got lucky with the choice.

Dave

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2016, 09:48:36 pm »
I started beekeeping after getting cancer. It's the worlds best therapy, I got lucky with the choice.

Dave
Dave,
Welcome to Beemaster. Glad your are here with us.
How long have you been beekeeping and how has your health changed since beekeeping.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline ed/La.

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2016, 09:39:29 pm »
 Cancer.  I think it matters how close you live to nuclear power plant or nuclear waste. Fukushima Japan's on going triple melt down / melt out is not helping things. Jet stream pushes radioactive poison to North America.  I am care taker for  brother with cancer. I sit with him all day every day. All that is left for him is the suffering. Walking dead. He was a beekeeper but started after getting cancer.  I sure hope bee stings and honey helps with cancer prevention. I get plenty of both.  Some mushrooms help Reishi, turkey tail and others. It is so bad now a days it is like the cancer lottery where 1/2 of us will get cancer.  This is where the federal government failed us.  Open air A bomb test of the 1950s and 60s.  Nuclear power with nowhere to safely store the waste. Old clunker Nuclear power plants that they keep renewing license. Every time they reload fuel there is a release. They could tell us down winders when to stay out of the rain. A little heads up. Those poor people near St Louis with the land fill fire approaching illegally dumped nuclear waste. Good luck to all of us. Rant over.  sorry

Offline KeyLargoBees

• Field Bee
    • Pirate Hat Apiary
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2016, 12:44:52 pm »
I think Ed has been reading Orwell and or Schute recently. That's sort of doom and gloom there my friend. Sorry to hear about your brother though... any sort of lingering illness leading to death is imho a terrible way to die and not one I would choose.

Life expectancy for Males in the US is up to 81.2 as of 2014 ....up from 58.1 in 1930 before all this technology. As the human body ages things break down and go wrong. Increased incidence of Cancer and all other end stage maladies is bound to be up because of the simple fact that people are living long enough to experience them.

Doesn't make it OK ...especially not when its you or a loved one but I am not sure how much conspiracy theory we can attribute to these things in general. I'm 50 in March ...started Beekeeping in early 2015 ...and doing my best to be able to say at some point "I've been keeping bees for 30 years" :-)

Jeff
Jeff Wingate

Changes in Latitudes...Changes in Attitudes....are Florida Keys bees more laid back than the rest of the country...only time will tell!!!

Offline Colobee

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2016, 01:18:36 pm »
Yeah, I lean more towards the half-full glass. All those bee stings and all that honey. All that gooey propolis sticking to my fingers over the years. Cancer isn't unbeatable and the prospect that nature is providing at least one natural defense mechanism isn't all that far fetched.  :smile:

Maybe we can't avoid some of the probable causes, but we can surely control the dose of some possible prevention.
The bees usually fix my mistakes

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2016, 01:35:32 pm »
I was diagnosed with colon cancer in November of 2010 and after 2 surgeries and multiple bee stings I am Cancer Free.
I still get right in the middle of those gals and I will say sometimes they have attitudes.
I don't know if the honey or the bee stings have anything to do with being cancer free now but the doctors are sure asking a lot of questions about the honeybees and how many times do I get stung.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2016, 02:11:46 pm »
As the human body ages things break down and go wrong. Increased incidence of Cancer and all other end stage maladies is bound to be up because of the simple fact that people are living long enough to experience them.

And if the increased incidence of cancer goes up for a child do you feel the same?  There is a term called a hot spot and it is not uncommon for these to occur in and around military bases.  I find it odd that military bases get closed when too many of these hot spots appear.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline KeyLargoBees

• Field Bee
    • Pirate Hat Apiary
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2016, 04:09:09 pm »
I should know better...there is no arguing with a conspiracy theorist mindset. Lets just agree to disagree and keep this civil shall we ;-)
Jeff Wingate

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2016, 08:20:44 pm »
Conspiracy?  Do you have first hand experience with childhood cancer?  There is no conspiracy.  It is real and it sucks.  I don't wish it on anybody.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2016, 09:34:00 pm »
You are right, ace. It was called "the wastes" a hundred years ago, before nuclear was ever heard of.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2016, 10:18:46 pm »
Iddee, didn't they call it consumption at one time?
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2016, 10:24:00 pm »
Tuberculosis is a bacterial infection.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2016, 10:44:59 pm »
TB was called consumption. The wastes was tagged onto any unknown disease that made a person lose weight until death. Just a generic name for the unknown.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline NZrebel

• New Bee
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2016, 10:02:30 pm »

Dave
Dave,
Welcome to Beemaster. Glad your are here with us.
How long have you been beekeeping and how has your health changed since beekeeping.
Jim

Thanks Jim, I've been beekeeping just 7 months, I've in the middle of treatments and havent been stung much yet, so I can't be of any use to the survey, but I will tell you it has helped my state of mind considerably.

Dave

Offline KeyLargoBees

• Field Bee
    • Pirate Hat Apiary
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2016, 09:17:39 am »
That's great Dave...I am not going through what you are but I am definitely of the opinion that the "zen" state I get into while working my bees lowers blood pressure and induces a calmer more healthy state in me.....thinking back I ' know what I did before bees and cant ever see myself giving it up ;-)
Jeff Wingate

Offline beesharp

• House Bee
    • http://sharptelco.com
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2016, 03:56:47 pm »
Happened to see this article about wasp venon and thought about this thread -

Brazilian Wasp Venom Kills Cancer Cells, But Not Healthy Cells
September 2, 2015 | by Caroline Reid

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/brazilian-wasp-venom-kills-cancer-cells-not-healthy-cells

Jim

anything