Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees under SBB  (Read 1511 times)

Offline Orlando

• House Bee
Bees under SBB
« on: September 18, 2013, 10:52:10 pm »
I attempted to place the slide in inspection board under my SBB and could not due to a decent sized cluster of bees hanging onto the SBB.   When quite a few of them were knocked off they just crawled back under the SBB.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Bees under SBB
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 11:14:52 pm »
All of my SBB are designed for oil trays so they are designed to keep the bees from getting to the inner screen.
Can you staple a window screen to the bottom and make a board to cover the opening in the back?
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline rwlaw

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 11:55:01 pm »
Ran the type of bottoms with a slide in tray for a while, the  robbers are liking to find a easy way in, then some of the hive was hanging out by tray slide fighting them off, ended up with 10 or 20 dead bees a day in a couple hive's trays, yanked those suckers off & threw em on the burn pile, the trays come in useful for trimming wild comb tho.

Can't ever say that bk'n ain't a learning experience!

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 01:44:58 am »
Best way I've found to get clusters of bees from under a screened bottom board is lots and LOTS of smoke.  Enough smoke and they will disperse.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 10:01:38 am »
Mine done that for a little while when I first got them last June. Have you had yours long?
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 10:23:04 am »
Tray's should be in now for winter setup. If bottom box is cold they don't work down and store honey above. A bee brush break's off to many legs. Smoke works well and you'll have to smoke heavy to move them off. Just don't burn the wings off them.  :shock:
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 10:39:13 am by tefer2 »

Offline Glen H

• New Bee
    • My you Tube Chanel
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 09:23:13 pm »
I have the same problem. Hard to do a descent mite count when you have a bunch of bees crawling all over your pull out sampling boards.

Glen
Located in Zone 5b