Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I'm back in the botanical saddle again!  (Read 3143 times)

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
I'm back in the botanical saddle again!
« on: October 01, 2008, 12:35:31 pm »
Well, sort of.  At least I can answer ID questions.

My gardens are an absolute mess this year.  One reason is I spend too much time on these forums, but that's going to change - so I spend more time here  :-D  I really have been learning as much about chickens as I spent learning about the bees, but that's settling down now.  My gardens - I don't even want to go out there to clean them up, I'm so upset at the state of them.  But the best thing about gardening around here is winter comes, and spring is another year, another attempt at perfecting the gardens!

Offline Jessaboo

• House Bee
    • Three Little Birds
Re: I'm back in the botanical saddle again!
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 02:52:13 pm »
I'm with you, reinbeau.

I am embarrassed at the state of my place too. (Although justifying it a bit with the amount of produce we are still bringing in).

I will say, however, that when I look at my notes from past years (I am a garden journaling geek) it appears I feel this way every fall. I guess its just a gardening thing!

It is easy to forget in the spring how overgrown things will be by October. I can't even get down my garden path for all the volunteer salvias I let stay. Of course, if it weren't for the salvia, I wouldn't have the hummingbirds - a real catch-22!

The good news is, as you say, we get another chance in spring (- to make all the same mistakes!)

I have to clear out despite my current attempts to avoid the task, or I won't get my greens and garlic planted.

Keep the faith - you are not alone!

- Jess

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 04:11:29 pm »
I broke down and hired some help for the first time. while I am at work, my yard is being "maintained" from someone who buys honey from me! I even sold him some money, or rather bartered some hioney for some extra work on my veggie garden which exploded w/ weeds. It looks like Zi never weeded or mulched at all. Just exploded. I think the hot droughty weather promoted weeds this year.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 11:45:35 am »
Ann, good thread.  You are not alone, my gardens were a total mess this year too.  Our cold spring was the culprit and allowing the chickens, ducks and turkeys the run of my property, mistakes for surely.  The critters must have unearthed weeds that had been sitting underground for centuries (lol), and they all germinated.  I have never seen weeds around my place like there was this year.  The spring was so wet and cold I couldn't even venture outside for a very long time to get into the stuff that needs to be done before seeding.  It was a nasty year.  I think it was much the same for everyone else too.

An example of how extremely late things were (and then the summer stunk too, it was not much sunshine, lots of cloud and cool weather). I ALWAYS get my beans into the soil around the beginning of June, the soil did not warm up enough until the beginning of July, very very late.

The blackberry flow begins here around June 5.  It did not begin until July 5, June had no sunshine and there were many perennials that we extremely late.  By the time the blackberries ripened to eat, the daylight hours had significantly decreased, the sun wasn't there to sweeten the berries, and I didn't even bother to pick any, the berries that I tasted were pretty much tasteless, and were sour, with no flavour.  What a year!!! 

Even my Cannas didn't bloom.  Well, they got a little bloom just about three weeks ago, but then we had that killing frost around October 6, that ended their live.  Weird year for many of us for surely.  Now you get off those forums and get out in the garden, that is an order  :) :) :)  Have a wonderful and most awesome day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service