Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm Season  (Read 10327 times)

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James
Swarm Season
« on: February 11, 2011, 11:52:32 am »
Hey all,
This is my first year beekeeping and I was wondering if there is any one out there around the Tennessee area who knows around about when the swarm season usually starts kicking up.  I am making some of Robo's Bushkill Swarm Traps and didn't know when to start putting them out.  Also, is there really that much difference between the lure's that you can use (lemongrass oil or the swarm lure from the catalogs)?
Thanks
"I believe the best social program is a job...." - Ronald Reagan

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
Re: Swarm Season
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 11:56:02 am »
The first week of May last year I caught my first swarm-I'm going to put my traps out around the first of April. My thinking is if we have any early Spring it could make for early swarms. I had two traps out in the same area, one baited with the commercial pheromone and the other lemongrass oil. Both had a frame of drawn comb inside. The one that caught the swarm was with the lemongrass oil.

Offline jdnewberry

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 12:07:06 pm »
The earliest swarms I have seen around here have been the first week of May.  VolunteerK9 hit it on the head...  Put the traps out in the first part of April and bait with whatever you want.  The lemongrass seems to work well, but then again, so do the commercial lures...

Offline John Adams

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 12:47:29 pm »
This will be my first season puting out swarm traps as well. I made 31 traps out of plywood this winter and found a bottle of lemongrass oil at GNC for alot less than the lures sell for. I would like to do a test with say 10 traps that have the lure and 10 that have L.G.O in them, but the wifey thinks I have spent enough money on bees for one year! :roll: With all that being said, some people swear by the lures and others swear by L.G.O.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 04:10:04 pm »
I like to stick mine out early April, this gives scout bees time to locate the bait hives. First week of May is a good time to start looking for swarms in this area.

Old comb works good also, I like to use old comb from cut outs that have been rotated out of an established hive.

What part of East TN are you two fellas in? that is a bunch of territory you know.

Good luck with catching swarms this year.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 05:33:25 pm »
Thank you all for your responses.  I was hoping there would be some people from around my area on here.
I probably will just go ahead with the lemongrass to start out with since it is easily accesible to purchase locally.
Are there that many swarms around east Tennessee?  I know that is a big area, but I have never seen a swarm or wild hive?  Then again I haven't been looking for them untill late last year either. 

If I may ask another question, I plan on applying this Lemongrass oil to the swarm box entrace.  Is this ok?  Will it last for a while just smearing it on the wood, or do I need to reapply it every so often?

G3farms, I am just north of you.  In Clinton, about 35 miles north of Knoxville.  I do work in Knoxville though.

Thanks again for all your help.
James

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 06:39:58 pm »
Thank you all for your responses.  I was hoping there would be some people from around my area on here.
I probably will just go ahead with the lemongrass to start out with since it is easily accesible to purchase locally.
Are there that many swarms around east Tennessee?  I know that is a big area, but I have never seen a swarm or wild hive?  Then again I haven't been looking for them untill late last year either. 

If I may ask another question, I plan on applying this Lemongrass oil to the swarm box entrace.  Is this ok?  Will it last for a while just smearing it on the wood, or do I need to reapply it every so often?

G3farms, I am just north of you.  In Clinton, about 35 miles north of Knoxville.  I do work in Knoxville though.

Thanks again for all your help.
James

James, it will evaporate and lose most all of its effect if you just apply it to the wood. One way is to place it on a cotton ball and place the cotton ball in a medicine vial. This will make it last much, much longer.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline John Adams

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 06:58:25 pm »

James, it will evaporate and lose most all of its effect if you just apply it to the wood. One way is to place it on a cotton ball and place the cotton ball in a medicine vial. This will make it last much, much longer.

...JP
[/quote]

JP what are you calling a medicine vial? Are you talking about a pill bottle or something else?

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 07:03:11 pm »
I've been melting a little beeswax and stirring in some LGO when it's melted. put a chunk in your bait hive. The scent lasts a really long time that way.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 07:08:28 pm »
John, yes, a pill bottle, one of those lil plastic things with the child proof cap.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline ronwhite3030

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 07:14:33 pm »
I guessing you leave the cap off JP? when should I set traps for northern california?

Offline John Adams

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 07:36:05 pm »
Child proof my @$$ they're adult proof :-D

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 09:57:51 pm »
No Ron, keep the cap on. Puncture a few very small holes in the cap to let some of the fragrance out. The bees will be able to sense the fragrance just fine, their sniffers are far more superior than ours.

...JP

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 10:10:58 pm »
Jp,
Thanks I was gonna put a 1/4" to 1/8" hole in the top.  I thought maybe leaving the top off would waste the scent.  I like your idea of just piercing with a few little holes.

Offline bailey

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 10:55:53 pm »
bait with old brood comb if you have it!  if not then use the lemon grass oil..
i use both at the same time and i catch loads of em!

bailey
most often i find my greatest source of stress to be OPS  ( other peoples stupidity )

It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open ones mouth and in so doing remove all doubt.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2011, 08:01:57 pm »
Hey James, glad to see ya on the boards. Last year there were not that many swarm calls for me. Do you happen to know Michael Wilson? he lives in the Clinton area. I am way down in the Concord area myself.
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2011, 09:38:40 pm »
G3farms,
I don't know him personally but I do know of him.  I saw him once at the local beekeeping meeting here in clinton.

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2011, 09:53:46 pm »
He is a good fella and smart too!!

Is that a Melton Hill cat you got in your avatar?

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2011, 10:08:30 pm »
Is that a Melton Hill cat you got in your avatar?
No, it was from a pond in Powell. 

When you say there wasn't that many swarm calls for you last year, how many is not that many?  I only ask b/c I've never saw a swarm around here.  Were do you have your name at, as far as advertising you collect swarms?

Offline dp

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2011, 11:28:00 am »

Word of mouth will help you a lot.  You can't believe how many people hear about swarms, see swarms, know of a hive in a tree etc.  Spread the word that your looking for bees, and the calls will come in.  Just be prepared for the cut-out calls.  Good luck.