• Super Bee
deer
« on: November 19, 2013, 08:39:35 pm »
anyone shooting any?   Season is going well here in MI

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: deer
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 11:12:19 pm »
Just dressed out two tonight. Got them packed on ice until Friday. Then we will process them into Hamburger, sausage, and canned stew meat.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Anybrew

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 12:10:20 am »
How do you Can Meat like you do, as its not done this way at all as far as I know.
Canned Kangaroo would keep falling off the shelf I reckon.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 07:51:23 am »
It's a simple and easy process, but cooking under pressure in a pressure canner is ABSOLUTELY mandatory. Normal boiling point of water will not kill botulism spores.

http://www.simplycanning.com/canning-venison.html
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2013, 08:02:43 am »
Pictures please! I've been trying to miss them with my truck.
Sure is a bunch of them laying on the side of the road this season.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2013, 08:28:32 am »
I had a pic I tried to post with this thread but it said it was to big.   I cant believe the computer could figure out that this buck was that big.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2013, 08:52:57 am »
Iddee
have you ever canned the tallowy meat like ribs in barbecue sauce?   Cut all the meats fat and all off the ribs and can as usual but fill the quarts about 1/4 full of barbecue.   The heat will cook off and float all the tallow and when cool it will harden in the top 1 inch of the jar.  Simply scrape it out before reheating. 

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 09:06:52 am »
I think a lot of fish and deer pics are stretched too big to work.   :evil:

No, I only can the choice cuts. Prepared bar-B-cue is cooked, then portioned and frozen, plain ribs are frozen raw.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 09:14:59 am »
I stuffed 10 lbs of teriyake sticks last night that will head to the smoke house after work today.   Another favorite that I make is corned venison.  I usually make about 25 to 30  lbs a year.  Most is then just frozen but we also can a bunch with potatoes.    Nothing like corned venison hash with eggs on a sunday morning

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 09:17:41 am »

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 09:25:45 am »
Danno, gun or bow? The hash and eggs sounds good anytime.

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 09:44:57 am »
Pictures please! I've been trying to miss them with my truck.
Sure is a bunch of them laying on the side of the road this season.

awwww tefer  your doing it wrong!!!   AIM for them with your truck!!!!   Oh,,, wait, mayube you dont own a chevy...  if thats the case DONT DO IT, you will total your truck!!!

LOL

My Ol Chevy has a STOUT bumper guard/grill guard made with deer splitting strength...  at this point the count is 7,, the game warden DID tell me I couldnt hit any more in the fields or ditches, they had to be ON the road  :'(
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 09:47:26 am »
The deer was openning day with rifle or Nov 15.   I did take this pic of him back by the edge of my woods on Oct 24

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2013, 09:53:02 am »

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2013, 09:59:44 am »
Nice buck!   I shot a 4 X 3 on monday but didn't take his pic

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2013, 10:52:58 am »
OldMech, GMC here, and they all get torn up at 55mph.
Thanks for the pics guys.

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2013, 11:41:10 am »
OldMech, GMC here, and they all get torn up at 55mph.
Thanks for the pics guys.

They do tend to make a mess of a good truck. Average about thirty deer counted dead along the highway near here each year..   Most tractor trailors that frequent the area have grill guards for a reason...    Last one I got I was running a bit better than 60.. was running 55 till i saw it... Deer here are what most people consider RATS in their neck of the woods.. farmers wont let you hunt their ground unless you at least attempt to kill the entire group after you shoot the biggest buck in the group...
   Met this big fella coming down a draw I was going up....

Wife is bound and determined to get a bigger one. She wants to get plaques that say his and hers....
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline RC

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2013, 06:37:21 pm »
I average one a year with the car.It's in the body shop now getting a new nose put on it.

Danno, how about a recipe for that corned venison?

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2013, 08:00:51 pm »
I average one a year with the car.It's in the body shop now getting a new nose put on it.

Danno, how about a recipe for that corned venison?
The stuff that gives corned meat that red color is sodium nitrite or cure.   I buy cure by the 5 pound bucket and my recipes use this.   You can buy nitrite as Morton tender quick in most grocery stores.   I don't mind giving out my recipe but one with Morton is better because it is the right amount  http://www.free-venison-recipes.com/corned-venison.html
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 08:15:25 pm by danno »

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2013, 08:46:52 pm »
I am in thawing out my hands.  I am processing my deer in my unheated garage and it is about 5F outside.

Danno was it you who told me about putting rib meat in canning jars with bbq sauce and being able to just pick the all the tallow off the top when you open the can to use it?  Was that cheap kraft type sauce or did you make your own?  I am about done with this deer.  I have a buck tag to fill yet Saturday so need to clear the gambrel.  The rut is on and even an old man in a tree stand where I can drive up to the carcass might get lucky and get a good one.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2013, 08:52:16 pm »
I am in thawing out my hands.  I am processing my deer in my unheated garage and it is about 5F outside.

Danno was it you who told me about putting rib meat in canning jars with bbq sauce and being able to just pick the all the tallow off the top when you open the can to use it?  Was that cheap kraft type sauce or did you make your own?  I am about done with this deer.  I have a buck tag to fill yet Saturday so need to clear the gambrel.  The rut is on and even an old man in a tree stand where I can drive up to the carcass might get lucky and get a good one.
It was me Vance and we do make our own but open pit will work.   Try it you'll like it and congrats on success

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2013, 02:42:55 pm »
i was tagged out on bucks by nov.9 in georgia (we get two a year) and i'm not taking any does unless i hunt alabama later in the year.  i questioned myself before i shot the second one because it was so early in the season.  i'm glad i took him now because i've been too sick to hunt for a couple of weeks and he's had a messed up rack for the last two years (leg injury) and i had told myself this summer that if i saw him i should shoot him.  a lot of hunters in georgia claim they aren't seeing deer but i saw at least a couple every time i sat and i've had plenty on camera since then.  we were so overpopulated 15 years ago that i think a lot of the hunters got spoiled.  when i was a kid you could hunt an entire season and only see 3 or 4 deer, now guys are mad if they don't see 3 or 4 140 class (that's a pretty good deer down here) deer every time they sit.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2013, 04:32:00 pm »
muzzle loader starts friday.  I've got 2 doe tags left.   One will be made into corned venison and deer pastrami along with other fun stuf.  A couple of years ago I started giving my oldest son a deer and a small freezer for Xmas.  I used to just give him money but this way I know they will be eating so the 2nd will be going there

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2013, 04:37:03 pm »
danno, it takes two of our deer to make one of yours.  every now and then we get one that weighs more than 250 but most come in well under 200 pounds. 

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2013, 09:55:32 pm »
I think we're allowed one deer a day in Alabama. Our doe season is at least a month long (I think). I quit deer hunting for a couple of reasons. One, I don't have the room for all that meat. The last time I went hunting other folks were on our property. That could have went bad if they thought I was a deer. We had about six that used to come up in our garden right around dark. I was feeding them a lot of corn back then. It got to where I could walk around outside about 30 or 40 yards from them and they didn't care.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2013, 12:19:09 pm »
gary, it had gotten up to one buck and one doe a day in alabama then 5 or 6 years ago they started a tagging system.  i think but i'm not sure that you can take three bucks and i'm not sure about does anymore.  i haven't hunted deer in alabama since 2010 or 2011.  i started hunting in georgia back in 2010.  i'll probably do some squirrel hunting in tuskeegee national forrest in january and february but i'm done with deer for this season.

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2013, 10:51:14 am »
i was tagged out on bucks by nov.9 in georgia (we get two a year) and i'm not taking any does unless i hunt alabama later in the year.  i questioned myself before i shot the second one because it was so early in the season.  i'm glad i took him now because i've been too sick to hunt for a couple of weeks and he's had a messed up rack for the last two years (leg injury) and i had told myself this summer that if i saw him i should shoot him.  a lot of hunters in georgia claim they aren't seeing deer but i saw at least a couple every time i sat and i've had plenty on camera since then.  we were so overpopulated 15 years ago that i think a lot of the hunters got spoiled.  when i was a kid you could hunt an entire season and only see 3 or 4 deer, now guys are mad if they don't see 3 or 4 140 class (that's a pretty good deer down here) deer every time they sit.

This is very true. I see the pictures of young 7,8, or 9 year old hunters shooting these massive 10 or 12 points as their first deer. It makes you wonder what they have to look forward to. I remember shooting a spike if I was lucky and being tickled to death. A doe was a big deal. But I guess a doe won't keep kids attention now a days. They need 40 or 50 deer feeding in a field to stay interested. I can't tell you how many hunts I sat in a stand watching birds or the stray raccoon for 5 hours.

Keith

Offline TenshiB

• House Bee
  • Your happiness is up to you.
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2013, 01:26:37 pm »
This is my first year ever trying deer hunting. A 28-year-old Georgia boy and I've only been out there "hunting" 7 times so far this year.. Didn't see any but I'm pretty sure I heard some. I've always LOVED getting out into the woods; and for a skinny kid, I love food. Last year my twin brother and I got into squirrel hunting and had a BLAST so I tried for deer a little this year--it is entirely different from squirrels. We'd take this little red feist out with us for squirrels and we plan to do it again, this year! Oh, and we call him "Stinky Pete" StinkyPete in a Hole!

Question:  will deer mess with beehives if you put beehives where deer may be?
The bees that do no work do not survive long. The people that do no work get rewarded.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2013, 03:07:38 pm »
one of my stands sits by 9 hives and there are track under it sometimes.  the deer won't be a problem but coons, skunks and bears can be.
i'm wanting to get a feist around february so i can hunt squirrel next year.  are you hunting deer in a club, private land or public land?  

Offline stella

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2013, 04:17:49 pm »
I was happy to get a nice eight-pointer opening weekend.
One of my sons bagged a seven-pointer. But was equally enthused about the porcupine he walked up to and took pics of.
Like Vance, we processed our meat in the unheated garage so I know how cold your hands were! It seemed like the hides were glued on. I finally brought the quarters into the house to debone.

Last year I made a corned beef venison roast. OMG! It was amazing! I got the sodium nitrite from a small meat market. Im glad to hear I can buy it from Morton because the butcher was reluctant to sell me a small quantity. Something about controlled substance or something. Still dont understand what his problem was.
Going to try the recipe link. Thanks!
“The hum of bees is the voice of the garden.” — Elizabeth Lawrence

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2013, 05:55:41 pm »
A fine fine venison soup is simmering and about to get froze for future consumption.  A roasted shoulderblade and the femur I think, attached make a tough if flavorful roast with onions, potatoes, carrots and neeps seasoned with Alpine touch, pepper, bay leaf and mustard seed.  Then a pkg of McCormick onion soup mix and one of mushroom gravy mix.  Of course some olive oil in the bottom.

Then comes the soup.  simmer all the leftovers and salt and pepper to taste.  Set on the deck in the big refrigerator so you can skim the tallow off the top.  Thicken with barley flour and add more of the same veggies if warranted by leftovers. 

Now out to the garage to pluck and draw honkers.  I have a great recipe for them too.  Life is good but it is still 4 and 1/2 months til dandelions. 

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2013, 01:38:26 am »
i made some tortilla soup with a pound of hot sausage last week.  had some chili tonight. 

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2014, 08:05:39 pm »
to Danno
chande the pic setting to a smaller size

anything