Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: G'day from Tasmania  (Read 2022 times)

Offline Daz the Drone

• New Bee
G'day from Tasmania
« on: January 08, 2011, 02:09:24 am »

Hi All,

I just got into BK by catching my first swarm, which was a big deal for me as I had a bit of a fobia since being stung when I was a kid, but, you know what they say ... it's all in the mind!        The swarm had made its new home in my backhoe arm.    Luckily, I found them before they could make themselves comfortable and I sprayed a small puff of 'Aerostart' (an ether spray, used to start stubborn engines) into the arm, and fled the scene.   Around 10 mins later they swarmed out and onto the outter foliage of a Blackwood tree, only 10 feet off the ground.     Anyhoo, the next day, after being stung 5 times in the first attempt from not spraying enough syrup on them, they settled down for the second attempt.   I never knew it could be that easy!   I think one other reason for their aggression may have been that they had started to build comb.    And yes, I know, no pics = it never happened, right?   Well, the wife was holding the branch with a hooked pole and I was holding the bees on the ladder, and so, where were you when I needed a photographer???

Cheers, Daryl.

Honey, is good for diabetes, yes??? :D

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: G'day from Tasmania
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 06:15:07 pm »
Welcome to the forum. It's great you were able to catch that swarm.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 08:43:49 pm »

And the next time you do not have a camera man, try these, a little grainy but OK.    http://www.nextag.com/ikam-xtreme/compare-html

Offline Daz the Drone

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 10:42:49 pm »
Thanks for that AllenF and buzzbee.   Those vid sunnies look the goods, but think I'll wait till the get a better resolution.

Just looked through the camera SD card and whadda ya know .... piccies!   Dumbo here forgot that he took some pics of the swarm, the day before.
So, I'll add a link when my post count goes up.

Cheers, Daryl.

Offline Daz the Drone

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 07:14:39 am »

Rightio, piccy time.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Sorta glad it wasn't a big one.

Cheers, Daryl.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 07:26:11 am »

Daz the Drone ........

You Got Tasmanian Devil near you'r home????

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Daz the Drone

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2011, 06:46:41 pm »

Hi Jim 134,   Yes, we do have Taz here, although, we don't encourage him to come onto our property.   We do this by throwing what spoilt meat we have, into the forest opposite.   Although, usually on our place you can see their scats on the ground if you look hard enough.    Friends down the road have to continually clear them from under their house, as it sends their hound mental and they make a real rukus anyhow.   The joys of living in paradise.  :-D

Cheers, Daryl.

anything