Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The circle of the bees  (Read 2951 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
The circle of the bees
« on: December 02, 2007, 11:37:14 am »
In my first year of beekeeping there was a yellow symbol painted on the front of one of the colonies.  One day, I saw a sight, a very strange sight and I thought I should share it with you all, any clues what the bees are doing, forming this circle around the yellow symbol?  I have never figured it out and it still remains a mystery. Beautiful day, wonderful day, wonderful health.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: The circle of the bees
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 08:32:30 pm »
I've heard that yellow sometimes has an effect on bees.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline UtahBees

• House Bee
    • My Photos on Flickr
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 11:32:19 pm »
They're saying "dammit, why can't I get the nectar from this flower!?"

Offline taipantoo

• House Bee
  • Me after six weeks of sun in Nome, Alaska
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 08:22:21 am »
That's pretty cool.
Not barring out an optical thing, but if the edge of the paint was raised, even just a little, it could have trapped some pollen.
Did this last for a long time or were you just in the right place at the right time?

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 09:28:22 am »
Tai, I remember that the bees were only there that one time and I honestly don't know how long they stayed.  It was just such an interesting thing, I had to take the picture.  There was definitely something going on here though, no clue what either.  Have a beautiful and wonderful day, lovin' life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 08:32:33 am »
in the spring I've noticed that most bees collect on the yellow painted hive and the yellow painted entrance. it's a warm colour so...that's it I'd say

although to us humans black would be the logical choice to warm up, it's actually somehow different. they've watched a bumblebee on the early morning forage, and he starts foraging at warm coloured flowers to warm up in the morning.

anything