Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: hello from oregon  (Read 3249 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
hello from oregon
« on: July 17, 2006, 11:18:48 am »
i have been on here about 1 month and have gotten some really great help.

i live in Boring, oregon.  Boring is next to Sandy, at the base of Mt Hood.  

i have aways wanted to do bees.  now that the kids are gone and i am older, this seems like the perfect time.  also, it's much cheaper than raising horse....and safer!  my husband has not quite decided how he feels about bees, but i did catch him out there watching them.  :shock:

bees are like my outdoor fish tank.  :lol:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline BMAC

• Field Bee
    • http://WWW.OLEMCDONALD.COM
hello from oregon
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 12:20:03 pm »
Greetings from Missouri.
God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
hello from oregon
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 01:58:44 pm »
i like your signature.  we are a military family.  i was an FMF corpsman.  my husband is still in the reserve and both my boys are active.  i have a brother in the reserve stateside and one in afghanistan.  my father is retired navy.  sometimes it gets hard to keep track of where everyone is going!

were you in?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline BMAC

• Field Bee
hello from oregon
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 02:34:36 pm »
Thank you and Semper Fi.  You can't get any closer to being a Marine than a Corpman less you goto Parris Island or San Diego.  I was in the Corps for 8 years.  Then I decided I could better serve the Corps as a silly servant.  What a mistake, I tried to go back after I finished college and they told me I was to old at 30 years old.  

Oh well it happens.  Now its off to other things like beekeeping.  Not that it matters, but what branch are your boys in?

My father was Air Force during Vietnam.  My great Uncle served 30 years in the Navy.  He went through WW2, Korea and the beginning of Vietnam.  Another Uncle served 20+ years in the Air Force.  Thus far I am the only Jarhead in the family.  Maybe one of my three will change that.
God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
hello from oregon
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2006, 03:53:14 pm »
both boys are navy.  one is a jet mechanic.  after 3 cruises on carriers, he's now on dry land in ca.  the other is a brand new ensign.  he caught a ship out of san diego, and is floating around out there somewhere.  both chose to follow in their fathers footsteps and stay on the blue side.  i tried to convince them that rolling about in the dirt and going weeks at a time without a shower, was lots of fun.  they didn't buy it :)

at the moment, i am glad they are doing what they are doing.  i never worried about my own safety, either in field hospitals, or with the Marines, but i do worry about them.  

how old are your kids?

Offline BMAC

• Field Bee
hello from oregon
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2006, 04:33:19 pm »
My boys are 12 and 9.  

Of course you worry about them.  Isn't that what moms are supposed to do.  I was an aircraft mech for my first 4 years.  It was alot of fun.  Then I decided to take an office job.  I didn't like it very much when I first started it.  Then I truly enjoyed it for about 6 years.  Now I am back to wishing I worked outside all the time again.  Sitting behind a desk all day isn't so much fun...
God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
hello from oregon
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 11:31:53 am »
12 and 9 are great ages.  enjoy.  it goes by so fast!  

yes,worry is the curse of motherhood.  i suspect it is the curse of fatherhood as well, they just don't like to show it  :)

Offline BMAC

• Field Bee
hello from oregon
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 12:53:19 pm »
The 12 year old is starting to get an attitude.  He sure expects an alot more than he is willing to work for too.  It is kind of funny at times.  Annoying at others.  Like any good father I try and keep my patience with him and give him a little room to make mistakes and hopefully learn from them.  The 9 year old like to help me with the bees.  matter of fact we were checking some out on an empty box in the drive last night.  I placed my finger next to one and it semi climbed onto my finger and started probing my finger with its tongue.  The 9 year old thought that was pretty awesome and joined me.  He already asked me today when we are going to go mess with the bees today.  I suppose I should feed the ones without supers today.  Syrup is starting to become very expensive though.  

The youngest is absolutely interested in everything I am doing all the time.  She dont like visiting with the bees, but she loves to talk about them and the honey.  She calls our comb honey the "Yucky honey".  That is very funny.  She loves to eat honey, just from a bottle right now and not in the comb.

Yep dads worry about their kids too, just not quite as much as moms I think.
God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!

anything